[W]arm? G.Skill 64GB SSD $120 + FS @ Newegg (Today Only)

Looks about the same performance as the Patriot SSD (170MB/s reads, 90MB/s writes) so it's probably exact same hardware.

Was just thinking about grabbing a 160GB Velociraptor but... Hmmm... wonder how fast these will sell out. :) And it works like a USB drive with that USB port on it? How cool is that... interesting.

Isn't that the older one with the single jmicron performance problem?

Isn't that the older one with the single jmicron performance problem?

As noted many times before, you can alleviate and almost totally negate the performance hits caused because of that JMicron controller. There are ways to "get around it" and end up with near-spec performance...

Why people don't do more research instead of just saying "OMFG NO WAY IN HELL WOULD I BUY ONE OF THOSE" because they're great drives and with just a few tweaks in your OS you can get near-spec performance from 'em, seriously.

But, if people don't want 'em, so be it, just means I have a better chance of getting one before they sell out... :)

Maybe we don't want them because this is early technology that needs several work-arounds just to function semi-properly.

Then... perhaps if you're not inclined to buy 'em it might be best to keep your opinions to yourself, eh? Since you have absolutely no intentions - as you've made quite clear - to purchase one, why bother posting at all? I wonder...

This is a forum where we discuss topics and issues to inform others. If you want to silence critics, that shows a lot about your character.

You didn't offer a critique, you said you wouldn't get one, which doesn't specify why aside from whatever reasons you then posted because I prompted it. Big difference, bub...

I thought it was pretty obvious just by looking through the forums here. My job isn't to baby sit kids who can't read. Stop crying about it.

I thought it was pretty obvious just by looking through the forums here. My job isn't to baby sit kids who can't read. Stop crying about it.

He isn't crying he wants reasons. If its a pos like you say it is, back it up.

You didn't offer a critique, you said you wouldn't get one, which doesn't specify why aside from whatever reasons you then posted because I prompted it. Big difference, bub...

Why dont the two of you take it outside and see which one of your Hard drives is bigger eh? :)

I bit, tweaks are fine with me. Not like we all dont tweak the heck out of XP/Vista anyways, come on now.

For those interested, here are some links to maximize the performance of that SSD if you choose to get one:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43460

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47183

and the stickies in the primary SSD subforum itself:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=186

especially the partition alignment strategy with XP - Vista and Windows 7 already handle this properly.

Thanks Supreme Joe, that was my next google effort.

Dangit, I wanted to get a 2nd one for Raid 0!!! I just spent $150 yesterday for a M3A78-T and 2x2GB DDR1066!!! GGGGRRRR

Great drive for the price, and most of the tweaks are to undo stuff needed to speed up a mechanical drive which is inherit weakness of mechanical drives.

For those interested, here are some links to maximize the performance of that SSD if you choose to get one:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43460

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47183

and the stickies in the primary SSD subforum itself:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=186

especially the partition alignment strategy with XP - Vista and Windows 7 already handle this properly.

I forgot all about that stuff when I installed my 128GB TITAN yesterday. :(

It's fast, but the partition alignment may help it get to specs....I can only get @ 150 MB/sec speeds.

When you do get your setup situated and stable, can you post a benchmark or something in the Storage subforum, would love to see the results of that TITAN SSD hardware... thanks

Last review I read on Newegg on, I believe, an OCZ Core series said they still have problems, even with all the tweaking. An SSD in Windows will have to do writes and with insufficient onboard memory, your system will stall everytime. YGWYPF.

That's precisely why those links I posted are relevant to such SSD hardware.

Using the tips and tweaks in those threads will maximize the performance of a JMicron-controller based SSD device and give you almost the max speed that the manufacturer claims the hardware is capable of without suffering the stutters, the slowdowns, the things that make some ignorant folks complain about 'em so much...

For $120 this drive kicks ass, period, especially once it's set up properly.

This is an MLC, and not an SLC SSD, correct?

Yes, this is MLC.

How hard is it to tweak these for a RAID 0? I'm still running WinXP, so that's what I'd be interested in. Well, not so much how hard is it...lol, but is it worth running in a RAID 0 as opposed to a straight drive.

I bit. Ive been waiting for the Vertex/Apex for over a month but I can't wait any longer...plus the G.Skill is half the price which is great when you're tight on cash (me).

I got Windows 7 on a 128gb patriot SSD, it flys right along... sweet! Then again it costs quite a bit more...

Tempting, but I'm going to wait it out.

Would be really handy on my 1000HA, but going to wait until the technology is refined a bit before jumping. That's just me.

That's precisely why those links I posted are relevant to such SSD hardware.
That's precisely why I said before, no tweak will prevent it from stalling.

Here is the review:
The Little SSD That Couldn't...

Pros: This drive has incredibly high read rates. It's very responsive, and generally feels snappy. I love the low power usage, silence and the cool operating temps. It does bench well, and comes pretty close to the read/write specs the manufacturer states.

Cons: I did all the usual "prep XP for an SSD" stuff, and this drive is still a nightmare to use on a day to day basis. Sure the responsiveness is great, but it hangs and lags constantly. Try to install a program, and you'll think you've been teleported back to the days of Windows 3.1 and floppy disks. I installed a 6mb program the other day, and it took almost 8 minutes to complete! Would have been done in 8 seconds with my previous drives. Windows updates absolutely cripple the entire system for a good 20 minutes. The advantages just don't outweigh the disadvantages, and that should never be the case for a 64 gig drive that costs $160.

Other Thoughts: To be fair, this drive replaced a pair of 74 gig WD raptors in a RAID0 array, so my previous drives were much faster than what other people might be migrating from. That doesn't change the fact that this drive still hangs, and really isn't ready to be sold to the public.

If you're looking at this, please do what I should have done and just WAIT! I figured the price had dropped enough that I couldn't go wrong, but it really wasn't worth it in the end. I'll be putting my old raptors back in, and waiting for the day they finally get the controllers right on these drives. This is one product truly disappointed me.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16820231220

I have heard if you use a RAID controller with onboard memory, this will fix the stalling. Someone on Anandtech figured it out. However, new MLC drives are bound to come out soon with cache to fix that specific issue so these will be practically worthless when that happens.

I did a build with it for a client, and I couldn't even install an OS directly to it. It would get stuck on the unpacking stage every time. I had to install on a regular hard drive, then image it to the SSD, then go through all the fixboot crap, and it finally booted.. I did the "fixes" that are supposed to work according to some, but then it kept giving delayed file write errors and the system was just unresponsive during writes. Reads were great, boot time was great.. but that's about it.

this thread almost turned into Barren's chat. I'm in for one just to check it out.

I have 7 off these drives total and have not seen a problem at all out of any of them, and no these do not suffer any problems these are second gen and are mlc. I have 2 in my laptop 1 in my truck And 4 128 in my rig in raid o and these fly. As of now I am waiting on my 4 titan drives to come in. Dont worry about these drives they run perfect in xp, vista, and win 7 no problems at all.

So... it shows in-stock at $129.99, like that's still not a [H]otDeal on a 64GB SSD? :D

Back