VX2025WM problems?

Dillusion

Supreme [H]ardness
Im having a really big issue with my DVI port right now:

I had unplugged my rig to exchange a screw inside that was stripped, and when i re-plugged the rig the monitor would refuse to show the BIOS POST screen on the LCD. I tired everything I could with the computer even clearing the CMOS for 3 hours and using a PCI-E video card (Im using onboard GMA900 right now) and new RAm and still the problem persists. The monitor simply will not display images via DVI. The VGA input (analog) works fine on both a PCi-E card and the onboard D-SUB connector (mobo has both DVI and VGA).

When i plug the DVI cable in with the VGA cable running fine, nothing happens. I cant switch between display modes and if i use just the DVI cable there is no image, but VGA works fine. If i bootup the PC with the DVI cable it will not POST or even 'beep' when I turn it on, but it works fine when i use a D-SUB cable...

Any ideas? Should I just RMA it?

Just a stab in the dark, but have you tried to boot the PC without even connecting to the monitor? (to see if there are any POST beeps?)

Man, I've got this exact same problem! I recieved my monitor on wensday and it worked fine. Thursday I turned my computer off to install a new fan and DVI completely stopped working. It works fine with an analog connection w/ DVI adapter, but with a DVI cable there's nothing. I tried it with two different DVI cables, three different video cards, two motherboards, nothing. It looks like two reviews showed up on Newegg in the past two days with the exact same problem. The only thing I can think of is that maybe Viewsonic released a bad batch of monitors. I'm currently in the RMA process to try and get a replacement.

Polish Ninja said:
Man, I've got this exact same problem! I recieved my monitor on wensday and it worked fine. Thursday I turned my computer off to install a new fan and DVI completely stopped working. It works fine with an analog connection w/ DVI adapter, but with a DVI cable there's nothing. I tried it with two different DVI cables, three different video cards, two motherboards, nothing. It looks like two reviews showed up on Newegg in the past two days with the exact same problem. The only thing I can think of is that maybe Viewsonic released a bad batch of monitors. I'm currently in the RMA process to try and get a replacement.

My vx2025wm seems to auto-detect whether there is a VGA or DVI connection so there should be no settings to change on the monitor.

If you did that much testing, I would say that the DVI port may have fried (much like what was happening on the Gateway 21").

Did you try a fresh-clean install of the video driver? I'm assuming that you used the same drive when you swapped motherboards. Also, for S&Gs I would remove the VS software.

I forgot what the tool was to completely remove the video driver. Anyone remember offhand?

I did a complete Windows reinstall when I got the monitor because I got other hardware with it, so it does have new, clean drivers. It doesn't display the BIOS or anything though w/ DVI even with the hard drives unplugged, so I really don't think it's a software issue. The problem's the same with a 7900gtx, 7800gt, gf4 ti200, and a 9700pro. As far as I can tell I've eliminated all the suspects except for the monitor itself. I'm not really familar with how DVI works, is there anything I could do if I was using the analog connection and also had the DVI one connected to see if the computer can detect the DVI connection?

So if you can't see the POST with different cards and motherboards and it works fine in VGA, then is seems like the monitor's DVI is toast. There's really nothing to adjust on the monitor other than selecting the port connection. This it does automatically and I assume you've tried it manually.

The only thing I can suggest while you're waiting for your RMA is to reimage the OS again (from scratch not Ghost) but I wouldn't hold out much hope that that will work since I would think the video driver is the only thing controlling the DVI output.

Also, an obvious suggestion, try to lay your hands on another DVI monitor if you can.

"Is there anything I could do if I was using the analog connection and also had the DVI one connected to see if the computer can detect the DVI connection?"

Other than manually switching the port connection in the OSD, I don't think so.

Sorry

Somebody just posted a possible solution in the Newegg reviews for this monitor. Apparently Nvidia cards can mess with the monitors EDID settings and lock it into power saving mode. There is a bootable recovery utility that apparently can fix this (if this is indeed the problem)

http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/sutra869611.html

The first link in that post has a utility called "DVI recover." I'm gonna try it out as soon as I get home from work.

looks like im gonna try it out right now...

EDIT: Shit, i dont have a floppy drive, thats awesome. Also- I was using a GMA900....weird.

EDIT2: WTF! It works now. I let the monitor sit off overnight with botht he dvi and vga connected to the computer, and now it works!?

I just burned the ISO of that DVI_Recover and I restarted the computer (with both VGA and DVI plugged in), and i restarted to see if windows would bootup from CDROM without and issue of pressing a key (since i wouldnt be able to see when to press one) and this was while using VGA/DVi in. All of a sudden my screen went jiggly like cell phone interfearance and i pressed the restart button on my case.....Then i proceeded to unhook my VGA cables to use only DVI and let the CDROM run itself....but to my surprise DVi worked upon bootup! Without letting DVI_Recover run!?

Weird...but it works now...

Update: DVI Recover fixed it for me. Luckily I haven't faxed in the RMA request for a replacement yet. I'm gonna try another Windows reinstall without loading the Viewsonic drivers to see if maybe they were what caused the problem.

To the above post: My screen did that too when I booted from the CD. That must be what happens when the monitor gets reset.

I had the same problem with DVI. I tried all kinds of things to fix it for the last week nothing worked. Came across this thread last night and tried DVI recovery disk. This fixed my DVI problems. I want to thank you for the help.

Hi guys, can I have another download link for the dvi_recover(cd rom version)?
I can't open the Jeff Geiger website...

Thanks

Well I have been having the same problem too. I was really hoping this would fix it but when i boot from the CD it starts its thing and then after a few pages of text it gives me some error. ARGH!

ohh and mine stopped working after I installed a new soundcard.

edit: The error is "Failure while performing read EDID command, check device attached"

@bont4

jeff geiger website is up again (at least for now and for dvi_recover.zip file) so get it while you can.

I got the recovery tool.

My vx2025wm DVI died as well.

WTF is going on !!!

This almost qualifies for a class action lawsuit !!

Mine just stopped working aswell.

I was hooking up my old PC to test it out via DVI and could get no video, analog worked though. I remembered the problems with DVI not auto syncing awhile back so I figured it was the monitor.

When I switched back to my new PC, guess what still didn't work. Both PC's have ATI cards (x1900xt, 9700 Pro). So it's not just a Nvidia related.

Going to try the recovery program now.

hi, i'm having the same problem with this monitor. I tried running this program, but I didn't see the thing you guys did with the screen wiggling, but I have been able to read the edid from both vga and dvi.

Can someone please post their PORT1.TXT and PORT2.TXT from their floppy drive after running this program? this would help A LOT, and I can post a detailed explanation once I get this working :)

EDIT: I have figured out a couple differences in the files, mostly the 21st hex. i am willing to bet anyone that posts their port2.txt that their 21st hex is 80 (that means it's a digital connection). the last hex is for a checksum, so those might be the only two differences in the 2 edid's. I still haven't gotten my dvi working, but if someone can please post their port1.txt and port2.txt i would GREATLY appreciate it!

Well I just ordered mine, saw this thread and was able to cancel in time. WTF is wrong with this LCD? I hope that they are able to get a fix out to you guys relatively soon, because this is rediculous.

I had the same problem, twice. The first time it happened to me 1 week after purchase and so I exchanged it. The second time was yesterday. I decided to call Viewsonic support and they gave me the solution to fix it:

1. With the computer on, plug in both DVI and VGA to the video card and the VX2025 monitor.
2. turn off computer
3. remove VGA connector
4. disconnect power to the monitor. Wait 5 seconds and then plug it back in.
5. restart PC.

For me, I run two monitors. After following the steps, I plugged the VGA to my 2nd monitor. Both monitors would show the POST screen but when I booted to Windows, the VX2025 did not have a signal. In the nvidia classic control panel, I had to set the VX2025 as the primary display and also Extend Desktop onto the monitors in order to get the VX2025 working in Windows again.

selflove said:
I had the same problem, twice. The first time it happened to me 1 week after purchase and so I exchanged it. The second time was yesterday. I decided to call Viewsonic support and they gave me the solution to fix it:

1. With the computer on, plug in both DVI and VGA to the video card and the VX2025 monitor.
2. turn off computer
3. remove VGA connector
5. restart PC.

Thank for sharing this information. I just woke up to the FedEx guy bringing me my new 4400+x2. Since I was up I decided to get on my computer... turned on the computer, got through the windows screen and just sat there looking at a blank screen. After switching DVI ports, rebooting 2-3 times my heart dropped. I KNEW this was the DVI problem that everyone had been complaining about but something that I overlooked.

The above process worked like a charm with me and thank god too (supposed to be upgrading my computer today.) One thing to point out with this abovve process, if you have a dual DVI graphics card, slap on a VGA to DVI adapter and the above process will still work.

Happened to me, gonna try the DVI recover utility. Monitor has been awesome for approx 4 months, then just "died" although dvi > vga converter works fine.
XFX 7800GT and vx2025wm

selflove said:
2. turn off computer
3. remove VGA connector
5. restart PC.

Worked wonders, no need for the DVI recover utility, didn't even try it.

selflove said:

2. turn off computer
3. remove VGA connector
5. restart PC.

Just to add to the possible solutions:

This did not work for me. I had to use the DVI recover utility, but that only got me part of the way there. Before I used the utility, I couldn't get signal at all on either analog or digital from my video card. The only time I could even see a POST was when I used the motherboard's on-board analog connector. When I used this connection, I could see a picture up until the Windows GUI was supposed to come up, but them I'd lose signal again.

What I had to do is use the DVI recover tool, reboot, hit F8 to get to the Windows boot options, and choose "VGA Mode." This got me into the Windows GUI. Once I was in the GUI, I uninstalled the nVidia display driver using Add/Remove programs, and rebooted again. Once back in the GUI, I downloaded the latest GeForce drivers from nVidia, installed them, then rebooted again.

Only then could I change my resolution to 1680x1050, take a deep breath, and begin to enjoy my monitor again. Thanks to all of the previous posters for leading me to this fix.

fix that dell said to use that also works with viewsonic

1: turn off monitor and pc.
2:unplug the power to the monitor and press the power button to drain the power from the monitor
3:plug in your dvi cable to monitor and video card
4 turn on computer and monitor

it should work after that. if not download and use this program http://www.jeffgeiger.com/Stuff/DVI_Recover.htm

help..
I ran that dvi recover utility and it didnt fix anything, but messed it up, previously when using the vga cable the monitor was getting detected and recognised by windows, now it doesnt get recognised or detected, just says default monitor and that too 4:5 resolutions are available only..

i downloaded the EDID tool from viewsonic
http://www.viewsonic.com/drivers/edid.exe

and ran it and ran "retrive EDID Data" in the files menu
and it says "unable to locate EDID data. Make sure the monitor has been detected by windows 2000"

so am guessing the Dvi_recover tool messed up the EDID Data.

is there a way to flash the edid of this monitor with someother monitor's? same model obviously, or maybe a firmware flash of some sorts? please help me out :(

if someone can use the above tool and backup the edid of their viewsonic lcd and post here, it will be very helpful to me coz making a new edid file frm scract is a pain in the a$$

i am having the same problem now i cant use the dvi port so far the options posted before havent worked anybody has a better idea?

^ ^ can you send me the EDID of your motherboard using the above tool i gave? i will compare with my, which is screwed up and if someone whoo's lcd dvi is working fine would be kind enough to post their's edid, compare the three and see if its really just an edid issue or the lcd has some hard issue...

selflove said:

2. turn off computer
3. remove VGA connector
5. restart PC.

For me, I run two monitors. After following the steps, I plugged the VGA to my 2nd monitor. Both monitors would show the POST screen but when I booted to Windows, the VX2025 did not have a signal. In the nvidia classic control panel, I had to set the VX2025 as the primary display and also Extend Desktop onto the monitors in order to get the VX2025 working in Windows again.

Thank you SIR! :)
I have had my VX2025WM for only about 2 months and after gutting my machine and installing some new stuff when i went to reboot it was just black. After calming myself down, i remember reading much about this issue with loosing DVI conectivity, so i browsed the forums to find your post and gave it a try. :eek: IT WORKED!!!!
I was over-joyed and just wanted to let others know, this worked for me, as well as others so its worth a shot.

My VX2025WM's DVI port died on me yesterday, and I've tried everything I've seen posted in this thread. If I run the DVI_Recover file, I get an error message along the lines of "Failure to establish DDC link."

Aside from being open to more suggestions, I've got a few questions:

I've discovered the PowerStrip utility will allow me to not only read, but write updated/modified EDID data to my monitor. Are there different EDID settings for the VGA and DVI connectors? In other words, can I fix the DVI connector by updating the EDID over the VGA connection?

Also, has anyone ever posted known working EDID settings for a VX2025?

For the record, this monitor is plugged into a ATI X800XT, so as other have noted, it's not an NVIDIA problem.

D

Just got this problem the other day...of course, it had to occur during the transition from my old system to my new system, so I've spent far more time troubleshooting procs and RAM sticks and video cards when the actual issue was that Viewsonic sucks ass. For such a widespread problem I'm amazed that none of the manufacturers even acknowledge on their websites that the problem exists, let alone to provide the DVI_Recover solution. I've tried all the power cycling shit, none of it works, and I don't have a VGA cable (hell, I don't even have a VGA output on my video card). So I have to go buy another DVI cable and a DVI-VGA converter in order to even be able to run this stupid fucking solution, which I can't even find an FAQ for because the panel manufacturers (i.e. Dell and Viewsonic) seem to actually be removing the links?

Holy shit, I am never buying anything from Viewsonic again.

I had the exact same problem. I hooked up the DVI to another computer and when I tried to hook it up again to my computer it would not work. Viewsonic was not helpfully but they did send me a new DVI cable which was free. I took the LCD back to the store I got it from and thankfully the guy I talked to had one and knew of the problem and gave me another one no issues. The problem was that the DVI port on the back of the monitor blew. VGA worked fine.

Yeah, I'm not to thrilled with Viewsonic at the moment. I've got an RMA number so they can "repair" my monitor, but I suspect they'll send another.

I'd still rather find a solution before I send it back, since there's no reason the next one won't do the same thing after a period of time.

Any experiences with Viewsonic's RMA process? Do they actually repair or will they just send me a replacement?

D

Wow, it just occurred to me that I don't have a way of fixing this. God damn it.

I RMA'd my VX2025 this morning to have the DVI port fixed.

Has anyone with a "repaired" VX2025 had a repeat experience with the DVI problem? I really don't want to worry that the DVI port will go bad every time I unplug my monitor cable.

D

Hello I was just doing a search on google about this problem. The same thing happened to me after 2 months. I called Viewsonic and reported the problem. I then was told that there is a firmware fix for this issue that would be sent out on CD when available. I waited and waited (3 weeks went by) and nothing. I then lost my temper and sent a letter to the UK Viewsonic office about legal action I would taking. I have two of these monitors and one is working perfect and the other has the DVI problem. Both monitors were bought on the same day and the same time. Therefore there is a defect. 4 days after sending the letter I got a phone call asking me to pack the defective monitor in it's box and I would be supplied a new one. The letter did also state that new replacements are only supplied within 30 days of purchase. They made an exception in my case. Today a new monitor arrived, boxed with no dead pixels. I tested it completely and it seems to be ok. I just hope that the DVI problem does not develop again.

I have a similair problem but with my VGA connector, where instead of EDID information, my computer doesn't receive DDC information. Checked on different computers, and did a complete reinstall, so it's definitely the monitor. And yes, it happened also during a certain unisntall of the system after working great for a while.
Viewsonic support was no help whatsoever. I would definitely recommend people don't buy this product, even if when it worked, it worked well.
Any ideas of what to do.

I had the same issue happen to me. The first time the song and dance routine worked, but later it happened again and the power cycling didnt help. I burned the .iso of the DVI_Recover utility and booted from it with both VGA and DVI connected. I did not actually run the tool. Once it got to the command prompted I shut down and unplugged the VGA connector. Powered up and the DVI now works. As requested by some others here is my dump of the EDID.

Untitled-1.jpg

I'm having this problem as well. Actually this first happened to me last fall and I thouht the DVI port was blown. I didn't get around to RMAing it so I occasionally plug in the DVI and see if anything happens. Well today something happened. I just built a new machine with an 8800GTS. I previously had an x1900GT, so I made a switch from ATI to nvidia.

Now I can get DVI working but it doesn't work properly. Once my machine gets to the Vista login screen the DVI shuts off. If I reboot the BIOS screen is displayed and everything works until the Visa screen.

When I boot up with the VGA connected I can plug in the DVI once I get to Windows. Now the problem is that it says my monitor is non-plug and play and I get a max resolution of 1024x768. The Viewsonic drivers don't seem to be working with it. When I try to install them it says the monitor is unsupported.

Did anyone RMA their monitor? Did the issue happen again after RMA?

*Edit:
I just installed XP and now everything seems to be working. I would like to know about the RMA though. I opened an RMA with Viewsonic I would like to know if I should send it back.

I got the same problem after installing the 8800GTS. VGA works fine though. I will try all the above fixes today. The Viesonic technical service told me there is no way to wake up the dvi port, it just the metter of dvi technology poor design.

Back