VW Says Its Tesla Model 3-Fighter Will Be $7,000 to $8,000 Cheaper

Tesla is a luxury car manufacturer. Why would they come out with a 28,000 dollar car?
They have a $35,000 car coming out in a few weeks. Would it be completely unreasonable to think at some point in their future to have a car $7,000 cheaper than this?

Will VW shave that dollar amount off by not being feature compatible. I'd love to see them release a vehicle with a hint of autonomous driving anywhere near Tesla.

This is the reason I want a Tesla. My next car will be all EV and I want a lot of the things Tesla offers that no one else seems to offer just yet. Also looks is kinda big to be and those hatchback small cars are just plain ugly as hell to me.

Telsa is a joke of a company. 4.9 billion in government funding and still can not make a profit. They should be giving away their cars.

VW is usually 28-30k with old tech how are they going to do this with new tech? My guess is again 36-38k and "with tax right offs its 28k"

Telsa is a joke of a company. 4.9 billion in government funding and still can not make a profit. They should be giving away their cars.

This tired old argument again? Beoing recieved about 13 billion in subsidies should they be giving away their planes? How about intel or GM?

Your argument makes no sense.

1smnmp.jpg

Very possible to do, no mention of performance, only range, so you can save money there, also no mention of interior etc or autopilot like features, which in it self could add up to a few grand. The 3 is also a larger car than a Golf sized car. It will also be further down the road, by 2-3 years than the model 3 and last but not least, these are all projections, actual price might be the same or even more, anyone who keeps up with cars know how this MSRP guessing game can go.

VW is usually 28-30k with old tech how are they going to do this with new tech? My guess is again 36-38k and "with tax right offs its 28k"
Looked at one last week, an egolf, as the VW dealership was selling some other car I was interested in.

$18k for one with 3k miles on it. Base model.
Range? Less than 100 miles. Not just pass. Hard pass on that range.

If they can get that up around ~220 miles they'll definitely do better.

Interesting Krazy925 in Wisconsin even used VW of any type are usually over $20k... most folks swear by them or swear at them (new VW with dozens of repairs) . I've always wanted one though. I have no garage so I'm not equipped for electric although we own the home. I'm curious how this industry will take off once there are more fast charge stations.

I'm curious how this industry will take off once there are more fast charge stations.

You mean like Tesla fast charge (currently the industry leader in fast charging)?

I do not consider 30 minutes to charge a battery to half capacity as fast, since I can fill my gas tank in 5 minutes for a 600+ mile range.

Their release timeline is 2019 I believe, so that could be possible. Battery prices are falling rapidly while improving in energy density every year at the same time. So it could be possible by then they'll be able to sell something similar for lower by then if they the pieces fall in place for them I guess.

By 2020-2025 it's expected for batteries to go under $100 per kwh, at which point EVs are supposed to have price parity with ICE vehicles, so I'm cautiously optimistic for them.

I hope they work on a strong charging infrastructure to back their cars up while they work on this though, gonna need it to compete properly.

You mean like Tesla fast charge (currently the industry leader in fast charging)?

I do not consider 30 minutes to charge a battery to half capacity as fast, since I can fill my gas tank in 5 minutes for a 600+ mile range.

Yea, 30 minutes is not fast. If it was 5 minutes in 5-10 years I'm down. Look at your average urban college campus... there is hardly any parking. The city makes a fortune on having less parking spaces than cars (towing = cha ching)... however there are hardly any garages either... for this industry to really boom they need to continue working on ideas to reduce traffic (mass transportation or underground) and faster charging that reaches a larger audience (those without access to a garage... aka urban cities)

Unless VW goes the way of axing out car dealerships altogether, its car will NOT be cheaper than Tesla, not even close. It will be 2-3x the price of a Tesla because of car dealerships being involved.

Man that VW is butt ugly. No other way to put it. VW says, "anything Tesla can do, we can do better". Yeah good luck with that.

Very possible to do, no mention of performance, only range, so you can save money there, also no mention of interior etc or autopilot like features, which in it self could add up to a few grand. The 3 is also a larger car than a Golf sized car. It will also be further down the road, by 2-3 years than the model 3 and last but not least, these are all projections, actual price might be the same or even more, anyone who keeps up with cars know how this MSRP guessing game can go.
its longer, and a bit wider. tesla 3 is about the size of a new civic sedan.

Interesting Krazy925 in Wisconsin even used VW of any type are usually over $20k... most folks swear by them or swear at them (new VW with dozens of repairs) . I've always wanted one though. I have no garage so I'm not equipped for electric although we own the home. I'm curious how this industry will take off once there are more fast charge stations.
This wasn't the cheapest.

Also wasn't the VW dealership, my bad :(

Attachments

• IMG_1687.JPG
    IMG_1687.JPG
    263.6 KB · Views: 17
I'm surprised no one pointed out that by that time Tesla will be out of the $7500 government rebates for EVs while Audi will still have plenty. What he said was we'll be as good as Tesla but still have rebates to offer.

I'm surprised no one pointed out that by that time Tesla will be out of the $7500 government rebates for EVs while Audi will still have plenty. What he said was we'll be as good as Tesla but still have rebates to offer.

Post #12.

This wasn't the cheapest.

Also wasn't the VW dealership, my bad :(

weird in wisconsin when I usually look (maybe us krauts buy them all) they were 25-30k even used! my guess is I was looking right when they were announced to have EPA concerns.

Back