Vsync... am i the only one?

Scoob () said:
For some reason in regular cs1.6, when vsync is turned off, i start my own lan game and everything loads fine, but the game seems to be in super fast motion. I can run to the other end of the map in 2 seconds and a full clips empties in a second. But when i turn vsync on its fine. Cant seem to get it working with vsync off.

There's some weird issues with older engines like the Quake 2 one HL/CS is based on. Hitting a certain FPS for example can make you jump slightly higher.

One of my favorite examples is in Wolfenstien: Enenmy Terriotory if you hit 47 fps (I think that's the number) right when you jump it'll launch you amazingly far. Just weird.

Yea screen tearing is annoying, but that sucks your monitor is 60HZ. .My LCD has a 75Hz refresh rate so I have a little more headroom. Some FPS games feel funny to me if v-sync is forced. The mouselook doesn't feel as sharp for some reason. CS source is like that and i think battlefield was like that too. Those games are so fast though that I don't even notice the tearing since i'm so into the gameplay.

This is a point I've been arguing for some time now.....The faster these cards get, the greater the disparagy between our monitors refresh rates. Hence, "Visual Tearing" making enabling V-sync an absolute necessity. There is absolutely no reason to have a fast as lightning card if you have to enable V-sync. What every hardcore gamer needs is a lightning fast monitor with great refresh rates. I for one bought a CRT Viewsonic P225f with refresh rates of 100hz at 1600x1200. If you dont have the monitor that makes all these frames per second viewable, what good are these speedy video cards?

I hope that one day we overcome VSYNC.

I suppose it is the displays that need to improve to fix this.

BossNoodleKaboodle said:
where the hell is that option on the Nvidia drivers?
Yeah, same here! I've been looking for ages to force Triple Buffering, even tried out all of nVTweak's options... still no sign of it. It's exposed in ATI's craptacular drivers but not in nVidia's. Anyobdy know where it's hidden? :confused:

Sly said:
Having VSync on doesn't necessarily mean you're stuck at 60fps. If you're set to 85Hz, the cap will be 85fps. Who the heck plays at 60hz anyway?
my brother at 800x600 with a MX440 is CS 1.6.

with a 17" CRT at that.

I'm not sure I've understood this vsync issue - will SED monitors behave more like LCDs or CRTs?

I believe the human eye can only "decipher" the visual differences up to 60FPS. Just an FYI when your friends say that they can see a better visuals because they have over 60 fps. CS kiddies love to bitch when they don't have 100fps, but it kinda doesn't matter. As long as you have the non-sluggishness worked out w/ v-sync on/off, then you can play just fine in a league setting.

corporate said:
I believe the human eye can only "decipher" the visual differences up to 60FPS.

Don't even get me started on this topic, [Hulk]you won't like me when i'm angry[/Hulk].

The human eye does not see in "frames per second", we don't see in flashes. The way our eyes work, and the way images are displayed on movie, TV and computer screens are two completely different things. You can't say the eye sees only "up to whatever FPS" cause that doesn't make sense, we don't see in FPS in the first place.

http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

corporate said:
I believe the human eye can only "decipher" the visual differences up to 60FPS. Just an FYI when your friends say that they can see a better visuals because they have over 60 fps. CS kiddies love to bitch when they don't have 100fps, but it kinda doesn't matter. As long as you have the non-sluggishness worked out w/ v-sync on/off, then you can play just fine in a league setting.
that is a pretty ignorant thing to say

edit. o wow nice link brent

1c3d0g said:
Yeah, same here! I've been looking for ages to force Triple Buffering, even tried out all of nVTweak's options... still no sign of it. It's exposed in ATI's craptacular drivers but not in nVidia's. Anyobdy know where it's hidden? :confused:

The latest drivers (Forceware 77.72) have in the release notes the control panel change "• Added a Triple Buffering control option for improved frame rates." However, it's just not there, hopefully in the next driver..

I really do love v-sync, it makes everythings extremely smooth if I can maintain the constant framerate. I set it 'always on' unless there's a particularly demanding game that doesn't have triple buffering support.

1c3d0g said:

Triple buffering has been missing from the nividia control panel for more than a year. Maybe since the FX series since only recently has is it been "reintroduced".

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=142619

I've tried it and it works. Not that many OGL games though, but it is nice to have again.

corporate said:

Airforce pilots in a test can see the tiny speck of a planes silhouette shown at 1/200th of a second against a clear sky. I'll have to agree about people bitching about the 100fps issue. If you do that on a 60fps screen, the picture'll be tearing almost constantly. I've tried some DirectX programming and animated a sprite at full speed (about 500fps maybe even twice that), and the result wasn't pretty. There must have been a dozen tears on the screen at once :eek: Showing more FPS than your monitors refresh doesn't really help anything.

I would rather live with a little tearing than have my framerate slashed in half at regular intervals. Until they make monitors that can do 120hz at high resolutions the best option is to keep vsync disabled.

Sly said:
Having VSync on doesn't necessarily mean you're stuck at 60fps. If you're set to 85Hz, the cap will be 85fps. Who the heck plays at 60hz anyway?

who said it did?

It really irritates me that [H]ard doesn't do a writeup to educate its readers about all this nasty visual tearing these heavyweight cards can produce. WHAT GOOD IS 1000fps at 1600x1200 IF OUR MONITORS CANNOT DISPLAY THEM? BRENT<>KYLE CAN YOU ANSWER THIS? :mad:

OTL said:
I would rather live with a little tearing than have my framerate slashed in half at regular intervals. Until they make monitors that can do 120hz at high resolutions the best option is to keep vsync disabled.

They have already to a degree. My CRT can do 1600x1200 at 100Hz. Now, it can do resolutions over that, but your refresh rate has to drop some.

i dont see how your guys frames drop below 60fps with vsync enabled. i just never dip ever. yeah its capped at 60fps so what. no tearing is great. but then again i dont see where you guys say it performance dips in half during slowdowns???

my fps counter is pegged at 60fps nonstop and never moves.

Filter said:
i dont see how your guys frames drop below 60fps with vsync enabled. i just never dip ever. yeah its capped at 60fps so what. no tearing is great. but then again i dont see where you guys say it performance dips in half during slowdowns???

Same here.

Brent_Justice said:
Don't even get me started on this topic, [Hulk]you won't like me when i'm angry[/Hulk].

The human eye does not see in "frames per second", we don't see in flashes. The way our eyes work, and the way images are displayed on movie, TV and computer screens are two completely different things. You can't say the eye sees only "up to whatever FPS" cause that doesn't make sense, we don't see in FPS in the first place.

http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

Very nice link indeed
In the first part of the explanation, the moving the hand across your field of view looks different with indoor 60 Hz AC lighting than being outside in sunlight where the light does not fluctuate.

Filter said:

Your bragging right?

If not...it sure sounds like it Mr 6800 Ultra SLI dood.

so uhm, any of hte recent nvidia drivers.... and most certainly the ones you are using with the 7800 have a built in refresh fix. and yea fuk tearing, i want good quality smooth action on my screen and since my monitor does over 100refresh on any of the resolutions i might want to use i usually set high fps games for that 100 or 85 and leave vsync on.

Anything past 80 is good for me

I realized v-sync a few years ago, when playing quake 3 and counter strike. I had two machines, one machine had vsync off, and the other machine had it on. I noticed immediatly the difference it made. The smoothness of v-sync made me aim better, and gameplay smoother.

Now these days I always have it on. I play at 1024x768 100hz v-sync on. I have another monitor that can do 120hz at 1024x768, but thats my workstation monitor.

I don't know about the dips you guys are talking about when v-sync is on. When playing cs:s on my 9700 pro with v-sync, it only dips when there is intense action, thats about it. Hell in cs1.6 with my 9700 pro, i would get a constant 100fps, no dips, even with heated action.

Shodin10k said:
Anything past 80 is good for me.

I can see 75 to 85 MAX refresh simply because the analog monitor cables are susceptible to signal loss above that. If you don't beleive me, set the refresh to 75 and the highest resolution you use. Open a file with lots of small text, like an excel spreadsheet and just work for a while in it. After a while reset the monitor refresh to 85 or higher...you will notice the text is fuzzy comparatively.

This wouldnt be so bad with a digital signal from like a DVI connection, but DVI cables are not normally used with non-LCD screens that can handle high refresh rates.

In my opinion, the best solution for gaming is a CRT with vsynch off and 85 Hz refresh. What sucks about it is LCD's are better for portability for LAN use and you just cant get the same settings.

Back