VRM Heatsink Options (MOS-C1 discontinued)

plext0r

[H]ard DCOTM x3
It appears the MOS-C1 was discontinued and I'm not keen to remove the stock aluminum heatsink on my new SM H8QGL board. I was looking at these guys:

http://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Aluminum-Cooling-Heatsinks-cooler/dp/B007XACV8O/

They're 1/4" square and with air blowing across them, I wonder if they'd help keep things stable when overclocking IL ES chips. Has anyone tried them or something else?

Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The height is fine, but the 1cm width is a problem unless I resolve to remove the existing SM heatsinks. They place two heatsinks on some of the VRMs near the rear of the board. I'm not sure how that affects warranty if I remove their heatsink and replace with the MOS-C10. The MOS-C1 was 5mm x 5mm (about 0.25 inch) so you could put individual ones on each VRM.

You can see the existing heatsinks in tear's picture here:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039350752&postcount=178
Look at the left two "II" highlighted sections. I'm not sure how hard it is to remove those heatsinks, then replace them if I ever need an RMA. :)

Do you have any pics you can share with how it turned out? How hard was it to remove the existing SM aluminum heatsinks or did your Gi board not have any?

I just used clippers to cut the two plastic pins holding them to the board.

Correction: Its BMR-C1 that also work not MOS-C10, MOS-C10 aren't wide enough to cover both rows.

brb getting pics, ill get pic when I find my camera.

Last edited:
In so I don't forget when I get home I think I might still have measurements oh the space avail and some pics.

So...

for the VRMS along the cpu socket you have a max height of 14mm and a hax width of 14mm.

2013-01-26%2011.10.18.jpg

2013-01-26%2012.11.34.jpg

On the GL you also have some small resistors between the vrms on the "front" of the board.

These are a good fit: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/enbcbmlowprf.html I've used them with great luck. You will need to do some trimming obviously.

Thanks. Any reason you left the other VRMs without heatsinks or was this picture taken before you added all of them?

Do be warned on height that you have to work around these if you did the musky mod..on the GL boards I cuss musky's name any time I need to deal with nodes 2/3 and the 212's. At 14mm you should be fine...

i was going to recommend cutting your own sinks, for example by using an old stock alu CPU heatsink, but I guess that won't work if you've only got 14mm vertically.

i was going to recommend cutting your own sinks, for example by using an old stock alu CPU heatsink, but I guess that won't work if you've only got 14mm vertically.

If you can cut them down they will work. I found some old P4 north bridge heat sinks that would be perfect other than height. Need a band saw.

"Need a band saw. "

MOS-C10 $16.00 set

Cheap Band saw $369.00

[H]ard choice :confused:

Back