VRM cooling in an open case

Hey all!

When I built the below build, the top radiator and danc were not there. Since there was no forced airflow on that part of the mobo, I decided to go with a monoblock at the time.

IMG_20190105_191004705.jpg

Now I'm looking at switching to team Red for my next platform upgrade, and am revisiting the monoblock decision. Do you think the fans I now have over the motherboard would provide sufficient airflow over the heatsinks to cool the VRMs? I know they'd be effective in a closed chassis, but I expect airflow works a little differently for my P5.

Whatcha think?

With the high-end mobos usually you don't need any active cooling on them. Unless you're pushing really high voltage (1.4-1.5+) and running lots of AVX-heavy loads.

Hey all!

When I built the below build, the top radiator and danc were not there. Since there was no forced airflow on that part of the mobo, I decided to go with a monoblock at the time.

View attachment 159367

Now I'm looking at switching to team Red for my next platform upgrade, and am revisiting the monoblock decision. Do you think the fans I now have over the motherboard would provide sufficient airflow over the heatsinks to cool the VRMs? I know they'd be effective in a closed chassis, but I expect airflow works a little differently for my P5.

Whatcha think?

They do. I run systems this way all the time for testing.

Back