VR Smartphone Controlled Paper Airplane

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Jul 19, 2017.

1. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

You too now can have your very own VR smartphone controlled paper airplane for the low low price of $200 $150 with Prime Shipping. But it does come with a "crash proof" carbon fiber and plastic frame. Let me know how it works out for you. And we highly suggest that you record the video so we can all laugh at you on Youtube later....please.

Experience flight as if you were sitting in the cockpit of your paper airplane. Control your paper drone with intuitive movements of your head using a Google cardboard viewer. 10 minute flight per charge, over 300ft Wi-Fi video streaming range.

2. James Robinson

James Robinson Limp Gawd

... and yet folks wonder why their attraction to '3D' (gaming OR movies) is ridiculed... :ROFLMAO:

3. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

We actually need two people to get these, so they can dogfight. :D

FrgMstr and Rahh like this.
  4. RogueTadhg

RogueTadhg [H]ard|Gawd

It's so night until you've got to troubleshoot and move ables around.

But dang. so beautiful.

5. XenIneX

XenIneX Gawd

$150-$200 for that? Jesus. I'd expect $50-$75 tops. It's basically a chopped and lightened version of one of those cheese-grade Chinese FPV quadcopters.

FrgMstr likes this.
  6. Sonicks

Sonicks [H]ard|Gawd

Rather than post the video, and get burned at the stake, Linus Tech Tips did a bit on this product a little ways back.

The conclusion? It basically only really flies in a straight line and the 'VR' image quality sucks.

Really not worth that kinda price from what I could see.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    velusip and ol1bit like this.
  7. ol1bit

ol1bit [H]ard|Gawd

oh wow, good to know!

8. Nanogrip

Nanogrip Limp Gawd

Kinda makes me wonder about the delay in controls and what you're viewing through the goggles.

9. PhotoBobBarker

PhotoBobBarker [H]Lite

I like LTT and all, but this really falls more to someone like FliteTest. What a tekky considers potato-quality video might be considered perfectly capable to someone flying an RC plane (or maybe not), but I don't have one... So I can't say.

10. velusip

velusip [H]ard|Gawd

That seems to be the theme with both FPV and VR -- they are both getting cheaper and worse. Obviously, this product is a new low for "entry-level", but even the high end stuff was never that good, and is dropping in price as necessary to sell.

I figure the tech will undergo another hibernation and come back decent in 5-10 years.

11. timberwolf

timberwolf Limp Gawd

There's way too much lag in a WiFi cxn for useable FPV. Sorry, but the dudes @ FliteTest are morons. Most of them don't know how to fly any type of fixed wing aircraft and the ones that do seem to get off on busting shit up.