VR Roller Coaster at Six Flags

NeoNemesis

2[H]4U
Don't know if this has been posted or not, but Six Flags has introduced VR on it's Superman Roller Coaster.

It's a pretty novel use of the technology, but if they don't get the timing right there is going to be a lot of puke to clean up...

I rode the VR version here at the Six Flags in California last week. The first time, it glitched and didn't sync correctly. And yeah I nearly threw up. I rode it again with a working headset and it sucked. So not worth it. Then again I have a Vive at home and by comparison this was very primitive. You're just using a Samsung gear VR. Nothing special.

Really stupid that they're rolling this out with tech that's less impressive than you can already get at home. If companies are going to invest in VR as part of a ride or attraction, it needs to be way better than what I can already buy for myself. Companies like Six Flags should be pushing the envelope and funding the development of this sector in ways that home users cannot, but instead they're just buying the same things we can already buy and sticking a pay-per-use price tag on them.

I actually rode this in New England. First time was a blast, just a fun new experience. Second time it's wow factor already wore off, Will not use again. A lot of peoples phones/headsets were overheating too.

i dont get it, obviously because i have not been on one. but its it just a digital version you are seeing of the ride you are already on that you can see in real life?

Novel ideal, but seems like a needless waste of a roller coaster. The simulator ones are much more fun where your mind is tricked into being on a ride when your in a chair that is just articulating vs actually 'moving'.

Likewise if one of those flips off someones head...

i dont get it, obviously because i have not been on one. but its it just a digital version you are seeing of the ride you are already on that you can see in real life?

No, the one I rode showed a cheesy rail shooter type scene where you're riding in some Apache type helicopter flying through a city scene while shooting at aliens. By tapping the pad on the right side of the headset you can shoot lasers from the vehicle. Graphically it looked very dated.

Back