VR Newbie needs advice

narsbars

2[H]4U
I tried using a phone for VR....no good, overheats and gives me a spike through the head pain in 5 minutes.

Limited budget. Is there anything I can buy, last generation, cheap, used, you get the idea that will be an improvement over a phone set up?

Any idea what kind of money I need to spend to get something functional. I would consider a unit that needed to run from a PC but I am still using a 4790K and a 980.

I have a a 4790k and a 970 and the Rift works amazingly well...am curious how much of a graphical upgrade would be running a 1080 or greater card.

I suppose your next step would be a Windows WMR headset...unless you want to just not mess around and go with one of the two real VR headsets...Rift or VIVE.

Black Friday is getting pretty close...

I would suggest Rift or Vive. With Rift I think you have to buy extra stuff for room scale (I own a Vive) so watch out for that. I think a third sensor.

I would look into a Rift. Might be able to get it used. Yeah a 3rd sensor and you are set for room fun.

If it were me, I'd first look into getting either a used Rift or Vive. For the Rift, you'll also definitely want a 3rd sensor for room scale. Your CPU/GPU are fine for either.

If you go new, a Rift setup + the extra sensor will run you ~$459. (But I have seen the Rift on sale from time to time for ~$350... Upcoming black Friday weekend most likely if you can wait)

A new Vive + Deluxe Audio Headstrap (really needed for parity with the Rift as to having built-in audio and a good head-strap) will run you ~$584.

The Rift has a slight edge as to better overall ergonomics and its Touch controllers are far superior to the Vive's wands IMHO.

As to overall VR experience each provides, it's pretty much neck and neck. If I had to pick one, it would be the Rift due to the fact that its controllers are better and you get access to a bigger potential game library as it is supported not only on Steam, but within the Oculus store as well. With the Vive, you'll have to use emulation SW to use apps from Oculus.

If you're interested in value, ease-of-setup, and/or portability, WMR headsets can consistently be found for around $200. In real-world applications, they provide close to the same tracking experience as the Rift & Vive, and feature a slightly higher resolution.

That having been said, the only way to get the true VR experience is to pick up the Rift (plus an extra base station) or Vive (plus the deluxe audio strap), which will only run you 2 to 3 times the cost of a basic WMR headset. Once you've found a few places to mount your base stations, simply run the cables to the appropriate ports/outlets, using extension cables as needed. After about an hour of setup & configuration, you should be ready to experience real VR! (At least until you accidentally bump into a base station... ;) )

2 cameras works fine on Rift, 3 only needed for a larger (>10'x10') play area, so for somebody on a budget I wouldn't bother with the 3rd, at least not right away. I do maintain that if budget is a concern, a WMR setup is way better bang for the buck. Having both, a Rift is definitely better, but not $200 better.

Personally I went with a Samsung Odyssey to use to test the VR waters. Few reasons for doing so.
1) I didn't want to have to worry about the mess of cables needed for Rift or Vive.
2) It was cheaper than both Rift and Vive (although after you buy a few games to test out the WMR headset, it's probably on par with Rift which comes with a few free games).
3) Higher res which some reviews mentioned is noticable. I haven't tried Rift or Vive, but there is still 'screendoor' effect on Odyssey, and graphics in games like Project Cars 2 are just insanely better on a monitor vs a headset.

I'm fine with my purchase as it allowed me to try out VR without going all in. I would say if I had to do it again though, I would pick up a cheaper WMR headset or the Rift.

Personally I went with a Samsung Odyssey to use to test the VR waters. Few reasons for doing so.
1) I didn't want to have to worry about the mess of cables needed for Rift or Vive.
2) It was cheaper than both Rift and Vive (although after you buy a few games to test out the WMR headset, it's probably on par with Rift which comes with a few free games).
3) Higher res which some reviews mentioned is noticable. I haven't tried Rift or Vive, but there is still 'screendoor' effect on Odyssey, and graphics in games like Project Cars 2 are just insanely better on a monitor vs a headset.

I'm fine with my purchase as it allowed me to try out VR without going all in. I would say if I had to do it again though, I would pick up a cheaper WMR headset or the Rift.

I went the same direction. Just wanted to add you can often find good deals via Amazon Warehouse. I picked my Odyssey up that way 2 weeks ago for $327.

You're PC is more than adequate. Since you have had comfort problems with VR already, I would recommend the OG HTC Vive for you. Imo it is the most comfortable overall headset to use. If it's a little too pricey for you, I would just hold out until vr tech matures more. You may not find any headset that you can cope with right now. Windows Mixed Reality headsets are very easy to set up but don't have the best screens, and they aren't that comfortable. The Rift has the most involved setup and also isn't all that comfortable. This is all just my opinion.

Really appreciate the input. I think I will look at a couple at Amazon warehouse.

Another idea. Hold out untill the next generation higher resolution hardware (StarVR One) get’s released. The market will be flooded with used Rifts and Vives. Not going to solve today’s needs but might be the pertinent thing to do with a restraint budget.

I tried using a phone for VR....no good, overheats and gives me a spike through the head pain in 5 minutes.

Limited budget. Is there anything I can buy, last generation, cheap, used, you get the idea that will be an improvement over a phone set up?

Any idea what kind of money I need to spend to get something functional. I would consider a unit that needed to run from a PC but I am still using a 4790K and a 980.

If you're on a budget, VR is not for you. Most games are only a few hours long and still cost $30, so you'll be buying games frequently. Not only that, but if you want full coverage you'll need additional sensors (when you turn with your body with only 2 sensors, your body blocks the sensor and the controller is not tracked properly), and you must get controllers. You'll need to set aside more room, even if you're not using room scale, as some games require you to turn and reach for things while standing.

I have about 20 VR games at this point, and the only two games that have held my interest and actually have a lasting play time are Elite Dangerous and Resident Evil 7 (psvr). 3rd place is Gorn with 6 hours.

Back