VR Developers are Making a Virtual Version of Helsinki

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
A group of VR developers from around the world are working on a virtual representation of Finland's capital, Helsinki. The "Virtual Capital of the World" project aims to be a trailblazer in the virtual tourism industry. While the initial results of the project are scheduled to be revealed in December, the long-term plans sound particularly ambitious, as the project threw out ideas of letting virtual tourists travel back in time to older versions of Helsinki, or letting them shop for souvenirs that will be shipped through the mail.

Check out a video of the project's progress here.

"Our goal is to come up with the world's most realistic VR experience. The soundscape and the visual quality are important factors in reaching a realistic mood, when the reference point consists of existing environments. The latter is emphasised, as Varjo's VR headset offers an exceptionally high resolution. Only a skilled 3D artist is able to make, for example, realistic water or a wooden surface", says Zoan CEO and founder Miikka Rosendahl about the reasons for the visit of the international top developers.

i can actually see something like this taking off.

one day a while back.. bored i was using google maps to check out rome. Went down into street view and "toured" rome a bit. Moscow.. and some other places. REALLY cool then i went to vatican city for the same thing and it was impressive. but then one thing REALLY hit home as i was moving around the various places like in vatican city.. the HORRIBLY long lines of tourists hahahahaha

now i used google earth VR the other day on my vive pro and it was great to fly around the world checking shit out.

Now merge good high quality VR to explore areas..

SHUT UP and TAKE MY MONEY !!!

Back