Vpn recommendation?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Daydream188, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Daydream188

Daydream188 n00b

Hello,
    Wanted to ask are you using VPN ? If yes then which one? Paid or free? Can somebody tell me more about vpn's? Is it worth getting it?

Thank you!

2. Keljian

Keljian Limp Gawd

Cryptostorm

Daydream188 likes this.
  3. Cmustang87

Cmustang87 [H]ardness Supreme

Daydream188 likes this.
  4. acascianelli

acascianelli [H]ardness Supreme

I have a NordVPN account. Price isn't bad as long as you're OK getting 12+ months of service up front. I think I paid somehting like $80 for 3 years.

Daydream188 and CAD4466HK like this.
  5. ZeqOBpf6

ZeqOBpf6 Gawd

thatoneprivacysite.net/

Daydream188 likes this.
  6. FNtastic

FNtastic [H]ard|Gawd

Can't believe nobody said PIA

7. The Mad Atheist

The Mad Atheist Gawd

Free VPN, Ultrasurf for android for torrenting since the library is now blocking that type of traffic. Ultrasurf for Window for sites that are blocked.

8. CAD4466HK

CAD4466HK [H]ard|Gawd

Wow I paid $107 for my 3 year term. You got a sweet deal.

OP, Free VPN's are shit and limit you to data and network speed caps. Windscribe has the most for it's free edition at 7GB's a month and 10Gb's if you refer a friend. But they have been found to leak your IP if asked...which would make them a no go in my book.

The only reason's you should want a VPN are:

1. You enjoy being a pirate and won't use Usenet. Your ISP has been sending you DMCA notices about dl'ing copyrighted movies, shows, games. If this scenario fits you, than get a VPN like Nord that won't share your IP and also comes with a proxy that you can use on your torrent client of choice. I would recommend using a socks5 proxy. They also have dedicated torrent servers. One Nord account can be used on up to 6 different devices at the same time, you can even use it on your router.

2. You live in an area or country that blocks Netflix or certain sites from being accessed on your connection. Your school, university, job's IT doesn't allow "normal" traffic through their Wi-Fi connection. Some people gotta have their FB & gram. Nord has obfuscated servers that are designed for this type of usage.

3. If you use Tor more than once a week, it is a must since the darkweb is patrolled by the FBI and your IP CAN and WILL be tracked.

4. You are up to no good and buying drugs, weapons, childpr0n on the darkweb, see 3.

5. You are a whistle blower and /or have narced out some important people and want to stay anonymous.

6. Just super paranoid and want the utmost privacy. Nord has double VPN servers for this type of user.

Cons:
    Slower than average network speed. I have 100MB cable and without my VPN I see 14.5MB/s max dl speed. With the VPN activated 6MB/s. Sudden server disconnect ( Nord does have a kill switch firewall that prevents your IP from leaking out during switching of servers).
    Some sites make you do a few Captcha's a day (especially sites like Rarbg). Server slow down (just change servers).

Daydream188 likes this.
  9. ZeqOBpf6

ZeqOBpf6 Gawd

Source? Been considering switching to them but this would be an instant dealbreaker for me, too.

10. Haven

Haven I Only Post Important Stuff

I've been using Keepsolid's VPNUnlimited for a few years now. It works great, and it is not a Chinese company.

11. CAD4466HK

CAD4466HK [H]ard|Gawd

I started using Windscribe Pro about 8 months ago, and within that time I had gotten 3 DMCA notices, while even using VPN on my browser and a proxy in my torrent client.
    I switched to Cyberghost with the same results, should of done my reasearch first and gone with Nord to begin with,

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...ers-leak-customers-ip-address-via-webrtc-bug/

https://thebestvpn.com/118-vpns-logging-policy/

If you have no adversion to onions, I can link you to a few grey hat reviews...

If Windscribe has changed their policies then more power to you, but I for one don't trust them.

ZeqOBpf6 likes this.
  12. BoiseTech

BoiseTech Limp Gawd

Private Internet Access. Always. Pay with gift cards and be TRULY anonymous.

beyonddc and Daydream188 like this.
  13. Daydream188

Daydream188 n00b

Wow. Thank you ! I think I will try Nordvpn because I'm going to travel this year a lot and I'm afraid of public wifi so I want to secure my internet. I have a friend hacker, he showed me how he does it and believe me it's very easy to get passwords and stuff on public wifi. Also I could use it for torrenting which is quite nice.

CAD4466HK likes this.
  14. /dev/null

/dev/null [H]ardForum Junkie

IPSEC

15. Daydream188

Daydream188 n00b

I will have a look on it but I think I will buy from top 5 Vpns :)

16. Daydream188

Daydream188 n00b

Now Nordvpn price is 2.99$ per month ( 3 year plan ) 108 all together. 75 % discount. Not a bad deal isn't it?

17. Daydream188

Daydream188 n00b

Yeah I have heard a lot of this vpn, I will check it also :)

18. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

Mullvad who sponsored [H] a few months back. Used em for years, excellent service for technical issues if you have them and low price, good country selection etc.

Daydream188 likes this.
  19. beyonddc

beyonddc Limp Gawd

Been using PIA for probably 5+ years.

20. RoxieToast

RoxieToast n00b

Some of my favorite Netflix shows are geo restricted in my home country so I use Nordvpn to get around that. It also worked while I was travelling to other countries. I took the three year plan because I really can't live without Netflix and it's getting harder to find what I'm looking for through other means. A couple of times the stream slowed down and started stuttering but changing servers fixed the issue so it's no biggie. I can also use it on my phone and other devices for no extra costs so that's a neat benefit.

FNtastic and CAD4466HK like this.
  21. ZeqOBpf6

ZeqOBpf6 Gawd

Wow that's good to know too. I was pretty happy with TorGuard but one complaint was Netflix and twitch instantly detected every single IP and blocked it. 0% success