Vote for my next mouse... serious!

Which mouse should the mouse whore get next?

• Roccat Kone

Votes: 14 7.4%
  • MS Sidewinder x8

Votes: 23 12.2%
  • Alienware Tact X

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • Razer Mamba

Votes: 45 23.9%
  • Logitech Performance Mouse MX

Votes: 39 20.7%
  • Logitech MX 1100 Cordless Laser Mouse

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • Just wait for the Cyborg RAT

Votes: 15 8.0%
  • Other (Please state what)

Votes: 53 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And wait for the kone's wheel to break.

However, customer support for it in the UK is sublime. I'm pretty good friends with the head of uk distribution for the mouse as I'm on my 7th one now (and ive had a load of freebies to compensate). I'm too scared to use the mouse wheel as a button because it WILL break. So i use a DPI button underneath as middle click... (and, im on my third or fourth "version 2" mouse with the "fixed" wheel.)

Otherwise, the mouse is stupidly perfect in every other way. Well ok the weight pops out sometimes, but thats only a little problem.

Ouch, sorry to hear that. Well guess its good I wasn't planning on buying one at the moment. Make sure you complain to the company if you haven't done so already. I look forward to an improved Kone 2 or updated version with any issues fixed. I give them a pass on this one since they are new to gaming mice (as far as I know).

OP, I've been using a Razer Imperator and have been extremely happy with it. People say there are issues with the laser. Well I haven't seen these issues personally so can't relate to their negative opinions. It fits my hand well and I score extremely well in FPS.What else can you ask for? ;) I do use the Razer Destructor mouse pad with it if that makes a difference. It's the best mouse pad I've ever bought! I've never had any gaming mouse pad last this long not even the idolized func brand.

It's kind of old now, but I love my G5 Mouse. Switching DPI on the fly as well as the extra buttons are awesome. Fits the hand shape pretty good as well.

I hated the textured feel of the g5. Absolutely hated it. Much prefer the rubberised feel of the razers etc

MX518 ... been using them for years, have 2 spare brand new in my closet and will probably buy out stock on them when they are discontinued. Fits my hand perfect, no batteries.

MX 1100 closest thing to the most amazing mouse ever, the MX1000

just thought id also say, im seriously looking at the logi performance MX, after picking up a dinovo edge for cheap, i think it'll go hand in hand.

Can't be fussed with all this "gamer" stuff, so goodbye g15v1 and Kone for me, Hello minimal and sleek.

Logitech G500

Chalk up two more G500 fanboy spammers who dont know how to read. Every mouse thread is littered with these guys it seems. I wonder if someone started their thread with a title like "suggest a mouse BESIDES the G500", if it would even matter. :eek:

It would be funny if [H] started kicking/banning these guys... added a new rule to their user agreement like "If you post 'Logitech G500' in the Mice and Keyboards forum when you shouldn't, you will be removed." :p

GIGABYTE M8000 Xtreme Laser Gaming Mouse

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...igabyte-m8000-xtreme-gaming-mouse-review.html

Pros:
- Easy and fast on the fly DPI change
- sub 1ms polling rate
- 6000DPI sensor
- 5 onboard profiles
- 27 colour options for LED (including OFF)
- can store 70 macros onboard
- No software required to USE the mouse
- Powerful Software with amazing macro abilities
- Adjustable weights

Cons:
- Weights only come in 2 sizes (really need a third, 2 or 3 gram size)
- While it can store 70 macros onboard, you can only USE up to 45 of them at a time
- Needs more and larger low friction feet
- Software maybe overwhelming on first blush

I just replaced my Razer Imperator with it. Plus its about 25 bucks cheaper, and you get a free mouse pad.....:p

Okay, you didnt say G500 at least, but seriously... where did you skip the part where I said that I have 2 of these already? :eek:

LOL

You do realize they're just doing that on purpose to annoy you, I'm sure they can read...

I actually just ordered a G500 after all the hype from my friend...$36 though, can't beat that.

other.... razer lachesis.. has a weird feel when you first use it but after a few days you will never want to go back to another mouse especially if you use your finger tips instead of palming the entire mouse.. the curve in the mouse 1 and 2 keep your fingers from slipping off the mouse and give a better feeling..

I just got a Mionix Naos 5000 and love it. It replaced my MX518 that I was really happy with, but I wanted to try something new and now I'm even happier with the Naos.

The grip is just perfect for my medium sized hands...especially the ring and pinky finger rests which the MX518 doesn't really have. You can leave it ultralight or put the weights in to give it up to 20 extra grams which is a very noticable difference.

The lighting on it is very high quality (all the color choices look really nice), the feet are super smooth, and the coating on the mouse feels really nice...it's similar to the razer death adder coating (I have that mouse to but it's not comfortable). I also like the braided cable. Oh and the software is excellent too.

Here's the link for info.

Okay, you didnt say G500 at least, but seriously... where did you skip the part where I said that I have 2 of these already? :eek:

Yep, sure did read that...get a 3rd is what I'm saying. Shopping for keyboards and mice is the suck!

I just got a Mionix Naos 5000 and love it. It replaced my MX518 that I was really happy with, but I wanted to try something new and now I'm even happier with the Naos.

The grip is just perfect for my medium sized hands...especially the ring and pinky finger rests which the MX518 doesn't really have. You can leave it ultralight or put the weights in to give it up to 20 extra grams which is a very noticable difference.

The lighting on it is very high quality (all the color choices look really nice), the feet are super smooth, and the coating on the mouse feels really nice...it's similar to the razer death adder coating (I have that mouse to but it's not comfortable). I also like the braided cable. Oh and the software is excellent too.

Here's the link for info.

Sweet, glad you like it! I love mine, whenever this one breaks or wears out, I'd probably just buy another one. It's the perfect mouse.

Got in a few new mice.

If anyone knows where I can get my hands on a Speedlink Kudos and a Sharkoon Fireglider in the US, please let me know. I should have just about every mouse mentioned in this thread then.

My Gigabyte M8000x from newegg came in used. When I opened it, fingerprints were all over the mouse. Then I looked at the bottom... I noticed wear on the mouse feet, as well as a couple deeper scratches in the feet surface, as well as scratches outside just the feet. I contacted newegg ASAP and am having them exchange it. I used to doubt people who claim they get sent used stuff through newegg... well... no more.

In case anyone thinks Im just picky or full of it, afterwards, I was on ventrilo with a buddy of mine who also has the M8000x, and he said that if the mouse was new, I the feet wouldn't have even been applied yet... you have to apply one of two sets to even use the mouse... so yeah... mine is used. Egg tried to pawn it off on my by offering me $5 to keep it... $5!?!?! $5 is lowballing it (I would think $20 is more like it for what is USED merchandise), and in concept, I didnt want to go down that path (it makes me look like a scammer maybe... anyone can just contact newegg and claim their stuff is used to get a discount).

The mouse feels good. It feels ALOT like my Logitech MX Revolution in size and shape. The pinky button is to change the light colors though, not an actual button you can use (or maybe it can be reconfigured... haven't bothered installing software yet). Ill post more when its up and running.

I also got the Mionix Naos. It doesn't have a side scroll/tilt on the mouse wheel... sorta odd. The DPI adjustment buttons are also very easy to use and set up. My main problem with this mouse is that it really doesn't seem like anything innovative. Its not wireless. It doesn't have extra buttons for me to use. The surface analysis tool is unique, but doesn't calibrate... Now that I know my Aluminum Steel Series mouse pad is only 'Good'... so what? Yeah, the LED can change colors (like every other mouse in this segment). At the right angle, the LED by the mouse wheel can actually glare right into your eye while in use.

There is one thing I will give this mouse... it feels wonderful. Its light (I dont know what review I read that said this mouse was heavy, but its actually one of the lighter ones I have). Its shape... with a ring finger and pinky finger rest is just superb. The shape of this mouse, as well as how well it glides over the surface of my mouse pad makes it one of the nicest mice I have held... EVER. Right now, Im having a hard time picking between the Microsoft x8 and this one... it just feels so smooth and like a glove. The only potential problem I see with this mouse is that the quality of the thumb buttons doesnt seem much better than a Razer or Steel Series. My buddy with the M8000x had a Steel Series Xai for 3 months before the thumb buttons just cracked and stopped working, and these feel the same... so I will try to go easy on them. The scroll wheel is nice feeling though... subtle bumps as you turn it... nothing crazy.

A side note on adjustable DPI; why 3? Why preset even? It seems this is so common, but how did we arrive at that number? I for one, always want 4 (and this is one thing where the Logitech G9 still trumps with its 5!!) I usually go about 200 dpi for sniping, then a 700-1000 for some games and desktop use. Then, I use a slightly higher one, like 1000-1300 for when I knife someone or play a scout in TF2... that sorta stuff, you know? Or in Killing Floor where the mouse is otherwise slow, this comes in handy. The problem is that I still want a 4th setting... at 2000-3000 dpi or more... thats for when I jump into a tank in Bad Company 2 and need to turn that turret faster!!! So 3 always leaves me feel lacking a little. Why not just put a full length slider on the pinky side of the mouse that the user can just slide the button in game to any setting that feels right rather than have to do it in a menu? Seems too easy and convenient to me. Or a dial on the pinky side that you can just twist on the fly to the DPI of choice... anything from 150 to 4000 dpi say... right on the mouse.

So while the Mionix Naos doesn't really seem like anything unique for its botique price, its shape is just very well done. If they put a tilting scroll wheel on it, and maybe a couple more buttons to program (how about a pinky button?), this would be THE MOUSE to have.

I will post about my affair with the Roccat Kone soon, as well as the high-pitched G500 I had to keep returning because of the high-pitched whine that it makes when not moving.

I will have a RAT 7 soon as well, and the Cooler Master Storm Sentinel Advance.

Is the Mionix Naos the same outer shell as the older Steelseries Ikari? It looks like it in photographs.

It is very very similar in shape to the optical or older Ikari, but it is different in a few ways... button placment of the CPI buttons and thumb buttons, as well as some of the mold/grip transitions between materials. I could see it being made by the same OEM perhaps... like the G9 and the Alienware. I suspect similar of the Roccat Kone and Speedlink Kudos actually.

Last edited:
Is the Mionix Naos the same outer shell as the older Steelseries Ikari? It looks like it in photographs.

Doesn't look like it to me...the Mionix Naos looks like a comfortable mouse for sure but I don't think it uses the Ikari body.

Useful to know, thanks. I tried the Ikari and the shape was just plain wrong - the bulge on the right didn't suit me at all as I use a finger tip control. I've got an Imperator and TactX right now, but the recently announced Naos 3200 has my interest piqued - 3200dpi optical sensor.

Update:
I hate the shape of the Mionix Naos after all, and here's why:
After playing on it for a while, I noticed that the ring- and pinky-finger grip surfaces are at some sort of upward/horizontal angle (hope you understand that) that makes control of the mouse somewhat akward. When I use the mouse, I find myself pressing down on it to maintain my grip, which also means that lifting the mouse up when needed is like picking up soap in a shower. Due to its lack of any really innovative or useful features, and a grip that now has just ticked me off, I think I will be putting this thing back in the box and on the shelf.

@IanM... Lol.

Got the Got the Sharkoon Fireglider in. Its at ZipZoomFly for $36.99, so you might think its some inferior crap.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produ...&jftid=2:28644dff-c1bf-4271-a3ae-5b65647e1144

Its not.

First of all, I love the thumb grip with the ribbed rubber.

Second, because my pinky and ring finger can actually get around the side of the mouse, its much easier to lift up.

Third... and yes, the flames are ghey looking... it actually feels good. The glossy surfaces of the buttons aren't bad... I kinda like the smooth surface compared to all of the textured and rubberized plastics out there. Its easier to clean... thats for sure.

The scroll wheel lacks side scroll (like the mionix), but its remaining action feels good. The software is well done, although you have to look in the manual to figure out what some buttons do. Better documentation in the software would overcome this. Still, once you know, its easy. Some of the button profiles are somewhat... um... HACKER FRIENDLY. Not only the ability to assign macros, but there are built in cheater scripts!

The thumb buttons are well done, although a little high up on the side of the mouse to easily access. I tend to assign these buttons for knifing and alt fire modes in CoD, and I actually have to reach up with my thumb a bit more than I would like. What can I say, the MS X8's thumb button placement sorta spoils me.

The DPI settings are done with one button. In windows, when you hit the button, a small text box pops up in the lower right corner telling you the DPI number, but not in game. To switch DPI, you must tap the button and cycle through the settings you made in the software. You can set up to 5 slots with anything from 100 to 3600 DPI. There is a corresponding LED color of red, green, or yellow that the button changes to show which mode you are in... wait... 5 possible modes with only 3 LED colors (and off, so I suppose you could say 4 indicators)... yes. There are other LED settings that slowly flash from yellow to either green or red (but not red and green oddly enough), which are sorta useless because you have to hit the button and then wait and see if the button changes color. The one button approach isnt the best... it works if you only use 2 or 3 DPI settings (for me, its 100, 800, and 1200, so I can cycle through easily and tell just by the feedback which setting I am at by how many clicks from the 100 setting I am). This setup could easily be confusing though. Im sure if I set it up with 4 levels I would be constantly cycling through and start using swear words for periods. So this method is 50/50... I like it because its one of the few out there that allows 5 adjustable DPI settings (the common 3 always leaves me wishing for a 4th, and only the G9 can offert this with up to 5 as well), but the method of cycling through every setting is a bit akward. Having individual buttons like the Sidewinder x8 would be better (even though the x8's only needing 3 buttons for 3 settings means 2 buttons in an up/down config would work just as well), but I know that costs money (considering there would have to be 5 here). Still, I cant imagine having to cycle through 4 settings to go from 'tank mode' to 'infantry mode' every time you exit a tank. OTOH, maybe its something you just get used to and remember... you just keep track in your head like all the letters on the keyboard so you just know what you are at... and there are the LED colors to help for reference... so maybe it is good enough... I dont know.

Tracking is strong, even on my Steelseries SX mousepad that the Mionix S.Q.A.T. only says is 'good'...lol:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826995033 I can easily pick up and move around and not lose a signal. FWIW, I can even use its laser on my stainless steel desk surface and it tracks just fine (I should test all mice on this because I know some mice cant deal with it, like my G9).

There are weights in the mouse... whoop whoop... like most other mice with this feature, I could care less. To me its a gimmick since I just take them out anyways (I like it as light as I can get it), and in most cases (no exception here) there is very little difference compared to the mouse's weight in the first place. The MS Sidewinder x8 skips this feature all together (I cant disagree with that move) and instead offers various mouse feet... so while the weight may not change, the friction will (which is what matters).

I gotta say though, the feet that come with this Fireglider are the slickest I have used. Even the slickest on the Mionix aren't as slick, and the MS x8's plastic feet just cant even come close. So if you like the slickest feet possible, this mouse has it.

The mouse is solid... as good as the Mionix or most others. This makes me question how 'in depth' most mouse reviewers really get with their mice... the review at bit-tech.com for this mouse is just plain off: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/peripherals/2009/12/22/the-best-gaming-mouse/2
Not to mention, they obviously didnt play with it much and find out what some of those custom settings will get you.

I haven't messed around with the macros much, but I should (even though I tend not to). There seems to be many many built in 'perk' settings, like...

Now, the 7th button; there is a small extra button... a second left-click button if you will. It is set up by default to be a 'treble click'... sort of like a double click... but not quite (it seems like its a double click with no time between clicks or something). Maybe someone else here is more versed in these things. Anyways, in windows, its an automatic double click. Okay... but then I tried it in modern warfare 2... WHOAH!! It turns any semi auto into a 3 round burst! Somehow, it does it with minimal recoil on most guns too. The Barrett rifle has a bit of recoil, but it did work... in particular when no-scoping... just tap this button twice and you let out a barrage of 50cal bullets that are sure to hit something! On 3-round burst weapons like the FAMAS and M16, it does nothing. On full autos though, it makes them into 3 round burst weapons... very nice. Rather than have to time out my bullets on full auto (and counter the instinct to hold down) on say... the RPD, the RPD is now a 3-round burst weapon like the FAMAS. The FN FAL (normally semi) is also a 3 round burst now... turning it into one of the most potent guns in the game. Pistols all become Rafficas... the M9 is now identical to the Raffica (which, in real life, they pretty much are... the raffica is just an automatic M9). I have never gotten so many kills with the USP 45 or M9 as now. Its an automatic 3 round burst! The magnum is silly too... it shoots 3 round bursts, clearing its 6 round drum in two shots. The cool part is that somehow the pistols dont fire like crazy... the recoil seems to be overcome somehow and every bullet in the burst is shot when the gun returns to the intended position... so its not just a 3-round wild-fire, but 3 well placed shots. On some SMG's, it makes for a slower 3 rounds than normal (the UMP for instance) because the recoil is pretty strong), but on the UZI and Vector, the gun actually does a full speed 5 round burst with negligable recoil.

The Macro setup menu is one of the best I have seen. It doesn't just memorize on the fly, it allows you to input any movement (mouse gestures even) or setting on the keyboard and is really a programmers screen (and macro makers dream). You can set the mouse click delay, mouse movements, how many clicks... etc... you name it. In the menus, I see pre-built macro files for all sorts of things; 3x fire, 4x fire, auto assign workers in RTS's, quick purchase weapons, quick turn 180 degrees (to snap around and shoot that guy behind you), Full auto (with timing adjustment between each shot)... you name it, it can make it or already has a macro file for it. But no worries about macros bogging down gameplay with interrupts, since they all get uploaded to the mouse anyways. I have never seen macro software this intense. Usually its just basic stuff... combos of other mouse keys in most cases, but this thing can be set up to macro ANYTHING.

For the price, this mouse is one of the best values around IMO. Sure, it lacks a cloth wrapped cord (but does include extra feet as well as a pouch), but for $36... I can wrap the cord myself. They could have charged $50 or more for this mouse... dont let the low price fool you, its actually a good mouse, and in some ways, awesome.

Well, when the RAT7 comes in, Ill post up something on it. In the bit-tech review, the QPAD 5K looks so much like the Steelseries Ikari and Mionix Naos....
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/peripherals/2009/12/22/the-best-gaming-mouse/4
I wonder if this mouse shape isnt some mass produced OEM thing out of China that gets rebranded for anyone to stick guts in.

The Roccat Kone is doing okay... more on that later. Im still looking for a source to get the Speedlink Kudos from in the US (or I might just import one).

Ill post more on the Giga-byte M8000x when I get it back from newegg (they sent me one that was clearly used).

Now, the 7th button; there is a small extra button... a second left-click button if you will. It is set up by default to be a 'treble click'... sort of like a double click... but not quite (it seems like its a double click with no time between clicks or something). Maybe someone else here is more versed in these things. Anyways, in windows, its an automatic double click.
Very retro :) Hands up if you're old enough to rememeber the 8bit & 16bit computers and the classic joysticks with built in 'autofire' feature! the good old says when kids would argue in the playground instead of on forums: "Amstrad or Commodore 64" "Atari ST or Amiga" "ZipStick or Competion Pro"

Bump for someone else in the world using the phrase recockulous. I thought it was just me. :D

under, have you considered the Cyber Snipa Silencer? It's got several of the extras that we expect from expensive mice. This includes interchangeable side grips, somewhat similar to the G9. I can only find it available in a couple of places. Link #1 Link #2

Thanks for doing all of these reviews. You're saving me money because I don't need to buy these mice myself. :D

Okay, Speedlink Kudos is ordered.

Gee... I have enough mice to do a 'Gaming Mouse Roundup'... I wonder if [H] would be interested. Im might be an EE, but I did take technical communications & writing as an elective...lol.

I suppose, most people wouldn't consider it complete without a Steelseries Xai and Razer Mamba... but I refuse to pay for those two based on my experiences with their quality issues.

Got the Speedlink Kudos in today...

Its good, but unremarkable. I installed the software on the disk, and it makes me wonder if there isn't an update I am missing somewhere. The options are good, but very spartan. On a side note, I suspect that it shares a production line somewhere with the Giga-byte M8000x, as the little metal case that houses the weights for both mice is identical. Ill look into that more later. What can I say, not Speedlink's fault, but these mice start to get rather unremarkable after a while because they all seem very much alike. It really comes down to the sensors (for some, although I doubt most would notice), buttons, and other minor features... perhaps ergonomics for some, but really, many of these mice share one of a few common shapes. The ones that stand out to me are the MS x8 because it is wireless, the Sharkoon Fireglider because of its price and similar performance to some of the best, and of course the G9/G9x because of its unique shape. The Mionix Naos 5000, the QPad 5K, and the Steelseries Ikari (older/optical/non-ambi version) share an identical shape shell that makes me think they are all made by the same OEM and rebranded later on, perhaps with slightly different button/LED placement and internals. The Logitech G9 and Alienware Tact X are another example of products soo similar to tell apart.

So I think the best way to compare these things would be to make a spreadsheet with the various features and specs to compare. I will include the following...

Logitech G7, G500, G9/G9x, MX Revolution, MX1100, Performance MX, CM Storm Sentinel Advance, Giga-byte M8000x, MS Sidewinder x8, Roccat Kone, Speedlink Kudos, Mionix Naos 5000, Sharkoon Fireglider, Cyborg RAT7 & 9. Perhaps I will borrow or add some others to include their specs, such as the Razer Mamba, Steelseries Xai, Alienware Tact X, Cyber Snipa Silencer, and QPad 5K (or if those companies want to be included its up to them, lol). I have purchased all of these mice so far out of my own pocket, and while I may buy one or two more in the near future, and its not so much about the money, I have approached the point where I just dont see a point in buying 'another high-end gaming mouse' that ends up so much like the rest. The Steelseries Xai and Razer Mamba both have QC problems that undermine my interest, and some of the rest just seem like clones of other mice.

The specs I want to note in the spreadsheet will be (please chime in if you want something else, that is why I mention it here):
-Dimensions in mm
-Max/Min Weight (which tells you if it has removable weights, as well as their impact)
-Shape Class (if it shares a common shape with others, I will team them up)
-Controllable LED/Lighting (perhaps a rating or more notes on this as well)
-Max/Min DPI
-DPI on the fly, how many buttons to do so, how many levels at once.
-Preset DPI levels or adjustable, and at what incriments.
-# of profiles
-Laser Type/technology
-Mouse Polling rate levels
-Mouse sensitivity adjustment availability besides DPI
-Macros Y/N?
-Sidescroll on Tiltwheel?
-Scrollwheel feel (is it adjustable even?)
-Cloth Wrapped Cord
-Wireless (recharge method/batteries, communication rate/technology, range?)
-What I paid in $$$
-Programmable buttons & placement in some cases
-Adjustable Grips?
-Cord Length (to charger or base if wireless)
-They will no doubt work on my mouse pad, but will they also work on my stainless steel ikea desk and a mirror or glass?
-Button click speed (how fast can I fan the buttons?), a rating of 1-10 perhaps, but very important I have found
-Button stiffness (similar to last)

-Subjective Ratings: Quality of construction, Ergonomics/Comfort, Overall Features, Macros, Mouse Feet (how slippery), Value, Gaming Performance, Windows Performance.

I will note as well what mouse pad I have, as well as my hand size, as these are important things to consider. My ape grips might not like the grip of a smaller mouse as much as someone with tiny spider fingers.

This will take a while, not only to gather the specifications, but also to spend some time with every mouse and 'get to know it better'. I dont want some fly-by-night opinion here. I want to actually USE these mice and see what I like.

Its good, but unremarkable. I installed the software on the disk, and it makes me wonder if there isn't an update I am missing somewhere. The options are good, but very spartan.
No suprise really, but did you feel it has the Avago 9500 sensor? I think the Kudos got popular pretty fast because of this claim + the bargain bin price, but the price jumped upwards quite a lot once it became well known. As for the software, I just looked at the download and had to chuckle - it's 3.15MB. Now Razer is around 35MB which is quite respectable, but my Alienware (inc. the Logitech stuff) is an utterly mad 408MB. http://www.speed-link.com/?p=3&cat=121&pid=21156&paus=2

really, many of these mice share one of a few common shapes
True, and I noticed a few more of these popping up lately e.g.
Zykon : looks like some Wolfking rebrands + some Razer copies
Rude Gameware : utterly generic Qpad/Mionix style mouse
Not suggesting you try any of these, I agree with your sentiment that spending more of your money on more of these 'me too' designs is crazy. You need some genuine USPs now to justify anything else. Maybe the R.A.T. though I see it as pointless gimmicks to appeal to young teenage boys. Roccat Pyra & Razer Orochi are perhaps intersting for the portable design, though I'm not sure either is radically more compact than some of the smaller 'full size' designs. Sensors that are new? The 3200dpi optical is promised for the next Mionix Naos, but you already know about the Naos shape so maybe something else will be announced soon?

Ergonomics/Comfort
You've alluded to it already, but this is probably the most important attribute to describe in a meaningful way. Hand size and grip style make for radically different personal experiences of subtle mouse shape changes, so I'm not sure how to reconcile that with grouping similar families of mice. e.g. to a few people the Razer Imperator looks like complete rip off of the Logitech G5/518/7 family, but the Razer's less pronounced droop of the snout makes it easier to reach the buttons and finger tip hold for smaller hands.

I'm thinking some kind of fit guide/chart, possibly with photos, but definterly including as many critical dimensions as possible. It could be far too much work to maintain however as there would be lots of useful to know details, just for button locations the list could be:

• left button height from desk surface
  • left button distance from rear of mouse
  • right button height from desk surface
  • right button distance from rear of mouse
  • scroll wheel height from desk surface
  • scroll wheel distance from rear of mouse
  • side button x height from desk surface
  • side button x distance from rear of mouse
  • side button y height from desk surface
  • side button y distance from rear of mouse
  • side button z height from desk surface
  • side button z distance from rear of mouse
various widths and heights of available contact points left and right - very complex for contoured mice. Which dimensions are critical to know? What is important only for very small or very large hands? Is any dimension genuinely universal so it can be left off the chart?

Rather the convey such a complex list of dimensions in numbers, perhaps it would be better to use perspective photos with grid overlays (clear film with gridlines in front of mouse) to get a better idea of proportions.

Hmm i think information if those mouse have possitive/negative acceleration would also be very important for some.

Back