Vortx Blows While You Game

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Last month, Whirlwind FX launched a curious desktop gaming accessory. Vortx is a fan about the size of a desktop speaker that constantly analyzes audio and video from games, and reacts accordingly. Ski down a snowy mountain, and it'll blow room temperature air. If there's an explosion on screen, you'll get a puff of hot air. According to some reviews, the tech works surprisingly well in some game sequences, while failing miserably in others. Vortx also posted a launch video last month, which you can see here, and the product costs $120 on their website.

When it correctly identifies the environment, the Vortx delivers an incredible layer of realism. In Battlefield, I felt the heat from a burning tank and gusts of air as vehicles passed. Similarly, the Vortx responded to the opening mountain climbing scene in Rise of the Tomb Raider as though it were made for it, delivering bursts of air whenever the on-screen wind picked up. However, there was still a disconnect, since the “cool” air isn’t as intense as a snowy chill or even a refrigerator. Meanwhile, the heat can be intense, but not uncomfortably so. The device was less impressive with Shadow of the Tomb Raider. The Vortx seemed to be confused by the underwater sequences, firing puffs of air warm while Lara was swimming. It also intermittently delivered puffs of warm air when there was no apparent source, which is a problem it has across multiple games. These instances break the immersion, causing me to search for the source of heat instead of focusing on what’s going on. Over time, the Vortx warms to a point where cool blasts become less noticeable, adding to the list of sensory problems.

So how long until they're sued by these guys?

I'd worry more about the guys that have been doing this a Disney and Universal Studios; I'm sure they would have Patents on the Tech, unless it's expired.

Studios spent millions on those rides, I'd hate to infringe their tech; I could be a lot poorer. :)

Its seem like a cool gimmick, but honestly would never consider buying this for $120. I wouldn't want to try and game with air blowing into my eyes/face it kind of would disrupt your vision say a piece of dust flying into your eye or something floating around the room and getting blown into you eyes....

I do admit the idea is kind of cool but like i said its just a gimmick to me....kinda like buying a "3D TV or 3D Monitor".

Well it does make more sense than the Resident Evil 7 Bio-Hazard candle and you can us it more than once

Attachments

• recandle_main.0.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 0
Reminds me of the Spiderman ride at Universal from years ago. I think Disney had something similar too with a hanglider simulator.

I know it was intentional, but this is still all I could see...

Yup. My favorite riff on the classic Maxell commercial:

wH7MILl.jpg

For any kind of improved immersion when doing acrobatics in games, I would need a device that throws concrete blocks at my face.

Wow, what a ... wow. Just have a 3 year old randomly turn a fan on and off pointed at your face while you play a game.

allow 3rd parties to sell / edit profiles then you're set...
otherwise u end up with those active room / back light / ambient color projection settings which only works well for demos....

I have been reading in a few google searches that people have been waiting at least 2 to 3 months or more to get this thing. Wind fx offers shipping options of up to next day but not really shipping. They should be letting customers know if they don't have inventory not taking orders and charging peoples cards.. be careful sounds like a bit of a scam.........

Back