Vonage+Cisco VPN=No Joy :(

Oldie

Mean Old Administrator
Here's what I've got:

8/3 internet connection via Comcast on a Sci. Atlanta DPC2100 Modem
VTech IP 8100-2 Vonage adapter
Linksys WRT54G v.5 Router w/series 1.0.0.6 firmware (current)

The hookup is modem->router then split to PCs and IP8100

Here's my problem:

I use Cisco's VPN client (v. 4.8.00.0440) for access to my office, and whenever I have the vonage device on the network, I can connect, but not get anything across it (exchange, RDP, NT Drives, etc..). I'm thinking it may be a port conflict, but I have no idea if I'm correct or how to resolve it.

The Cisco client requires port 10,000 TCP, while the VTech requires 10,000-20,000 UDP. Because I couldn't route the same port to two devices, I placed the VTech into the DMZ, and forwarded 10,000 to the PC I use for office work.

I'm sure it's not the most common setup on earth, but I'm hoping someone has experience with it. I appreciate your taking the time to read either way. I've also posted in the Vonage forums, but I figure a lot of you have experience specifically with Cisco VPN software.

correct me if im wrong.

WRT54G's...

its either port forwarding or dmz you cant have both.
you might want to forward 10,000 and range forward 10,001-20,0000 or whatever.

Kaos said:
correct me if im wrong.

WRT54G's...

its either port forwarding or dmz you cant have both.
you might want to forward 10,000 and range forward 10,001-20,0000 or whatever.

You can put one IP in the DMZ while the rest remain using NAT. This is the way all routers I have gotten my hands on have been setup.

SR's is correct. I did try popping the range to 10001+, but I still get the issue. I'm starting to wonder if I'm looking in the right direction. Call me crazy, but I think I'm going to go swap out my modem.

Back