Voltage question

Tanatz

Limp Gawd
Coretemp reports a VID of 1.225V while the overclocking section of my BIOS reports a Normal VPU Core of 1.225; however, CPU-Z reports Core Voltage of 1.184V. Which do I go by if an overclocking guide says to bump the voltage up by .1V?

If you have power saving bios features on the CPU will request lower voltages when not loaded.

Fire up some stress software and watch CPU-z to verify.

I suggest only bumping Vcore as you need to to reach new OCing goals. For example I would go 1.275 and see how far that got me as I bumped up FSB speeds.

So you kind of have two choices. Turn off C1E and EIST which should, if memory serves, stop the Vcore automatic "adjustments" and give you close to 1.225 all the time. Easy to check. Run the CPU fan 100% buy disabling "automatic fan control" or use the "legacy voltage control" which will still vary the CPU fan speed just not as fine tuned as EIST.

Or

Go ahead and give it more Vcore but test with CPU-z at idle and load and see what you get for Vcore. I am having trouble remembering exactly how that board acts when you specify a Vcore increase manually. I cannot remember if it locks the CPU voltage to what you enter (what I would expect) or it still allows the CPU to vary it some but now with a new upper voltage level.

LOL I have not messed with mine in so long I don't even remember what my own board does. /senile.

I checked and all power saving features in the BIOS are disabled.

I ran Orthos and Core voltage in CPU-Z fluctuated between 1.168 and 1.184. VID in Coretemp is steady at 1.225.

In other words, Coretemp reflects the voltage readout in my BIOS. Any other reasons why CPU-Z doesn't accurately reflect the CPU voltage?

This motherboard has not overclocked or accepted manual settings reliably since I bought it, very frustrating! :mad:

hmm perhaps a really good bios/cmos reset would help. Take a look at this where a Gbyte board was acting flakey and pulling the plug brought it out of "stupid" mode. Worth a try.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1451057

I was going to test cpu-z on my machine and comment but some damn website infected my ass and I am stuck in safe mode (no cpu-z drivers loaded) until the virus scans get finshed.

Maybe I just have bad luck, I had an ASUS board before this that had all sorts of OC / voltage problems.

Well not to put too fine a point on it. that is the L version and lacks the heavy duty CPU voltage regulation circuirty found in the more expensive models.

It would be interesting to know what you are using for a power supply. 4850 and that decent OC will pull some power nothing remarkable but I would want at least a strong 400W supply with good +12 in the order of 25 or more amps at least.

Try latest version 1.52.2

my older version show VID which was a close match to the default VID 1.325 of my cpu

1.52.2 now labels it as Core voltage and it jumps between 1.344 and 1.360 and I think I have it set at 1.375 in the bios - at idle.

firing off 4 threads of Prime95 my core voltage dropped to 1.328V

So it looks like the SW if it reads "Core Voltage" is actually reading core voltage. As to exactly how accurate it is I do not know.

Whay you could do is load the Gigabyte Easytune applcation and look a the core voltage reported there and make a comparision. I hate Easytune but back long ago when I was messing with it and the C2D where just released it was the only fairly accurate SW at the time.

But this cpu-z seems to be doing what I would expect it to do with the settings I have.

Bottom line is that the reported voltage going to the cpu is, at least on my board, less than the bios setting and that makes sense too with Vdrop and Vdroop factored in.

Glad you got me to look at it. I had trouble getting past 3.4GHz because I did not want to exceed 1.4V on my cpu but the reported voltage is much lower than the bios setting I might just give 1.45 a try. I am very conservative with voltage.

Yep back to 1.360)/1.344 after load removed. Too lazy to figure that out, the machine runs as fast as I need it too.

I set the MCH voltage and the FSB voltage both to +.2, with +.3 for the DDR2 voltage, along with 5-5-5-18 while leaving the FSB stock and no luck, Orthos for 8 seconds again.

I also tried 360x9 with a 2.6 DDR2 multy but there was no such option, there was a 2.5~ and a 3.0. There were others with a "+" and "~" but none were stable.

I didn't see any option for (G)MCH frequency latch. Running out of options? Can't figure this out for the life of me.

You had a post in the memory section also and I am too senile to keep track of both.

If you like I will try and help get you going but I would like you to start a new post in OCing and cooling, do a cmos reset and load optimum defauts and we start off at stock. Also give me list of your cpu board and memory.

Use the cmos clear procedure mentioned in the post above.

If you hang with me we will either get the board OCing or determine that something is wrong.

I had that happen with my old XFX 680I LT SLI motherboard i would over clock my CPU and hte Voltage was set at 1.4 and it would read 1.2-1.3 and it would cause it to randomly lock up. I did some research and it was due to a thing they added to the motherboard called Vdroop

You had a post in the memory section also and I am too senile to keep track of both.

If you like I will try and help get you going but I would like you to start a new post in OCing and cooling, do a cmos reset and load optimum defauts and we start off at stock. Also give me list of your cpu board and memory.

Use the cmos clear procedure mentioned in the post above.

If you hang with me we will either get the board OCing or determine that something is wrong.

Yea, I think initially they started out as different questions but they've kinda merged :p

Will do this and be back shortly.

Back