Voice Modem

Cracker

n00b
I'm looking for any decent voice modem expansion card for my Dell D620 laptop and I'm having trouble finding one. I want to use it (in combination with software) to replace my work telephone. Can anyone help me?

I don't know much about current voice-modem offereings, but you definitely wouldn't want to use a Skype-ish VOIP service?

Sorry, but I wasn't very detailed.

My company uses Packet8 VoIP service. We all have office extensions, voicemail, etc. To connect to Packet8's network, we use a Packet8 BPA410 Adapter, which looks like a little modem. You connect it to the LAN and connect a telephone and you're good to go. I want to be able to run a telephone wire from the Adapter to a laptop voice modem, bypassing the need for a telephone. That way I could connect to the Packet8 network and keep my extensions, voicemail, etc, using a free software telephone that interfaces with the voice modem. Packet8 offers a software phone that lets you connect directly to their network without the use of hardware, much like Skype and others, but that's an additional monthly charge that my company won't pay for. So in the end I'd like to just keep using the hardware I have, and use my laptop like a telephone to interface with it... and that requires a voice modem.

Back