VM with internet??

PLmatt91

Limp Gawd
I want to try out Ubuntu 7.10, but I want to get it with internet too in a virtual machine. I Googled for the past hour and can't find any thing really. Everything just explains how to get Ubuntu in a VM and I tried twice, but it's not working so far. Is there one some one tried on here and got internet to work with it? Thanks for any pointers,

-Matt.

i have had ubuntu running in vmware on windows with internet, so you should be able to do this.

i have had some troubles with vmware on linux though, the network config is a bit of a bitch in linux, but with windows as the host and linux in the vm, it should be relatively painless to set up

you can download a free 30 day trail of vmware workstation, this will allow you to create your own virtual machine in which to install linux, if you want to continue using the vm past the 30 day period you can use the free vm ware player, which only allows running of VMs (no creation etc..)

If NAT don't work, try bridged.

Also, I had issues with it at first too, but I found that ubuntu doesn't discover the new network setting when you change it. So, install it in NAT mode. If if doesn't work, reinstall Ubuntu with Bridged set.

Also, you can use VMPlayer, just use VMX Builder for making the VM. It's free, and works the same as Workstation.

Doesn't it give 4 options?

* Bridged Networking
* NAT
* Host Only
* NO NETZWORKZ

If you are running VMWare and would like to try out the OS without the hassels of getting it setup, you may want to try downloading this Ubuntu virtual appliance from VMWare. It is already installed and ready to go.

Breif description from Vmware.com:
"An Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) VMware Image is available here for download. This virtual Linux system with all its applications is usable out-of-the-box (e.g. with the free VMware Player). Thus, it is perfect to test drive Ubuntu or as a secondary operating system running within Windows. The image already comes with the current VMware Tools, Java 6, and Eclipse 3.3 Europa."

http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/1068

Doesn't it give 4 options?

* Bridged Networking
* NAT
* Host Only
* NO NETZWORKZ

Yes, but NAT and Bridged are the 2 ways for VMWare to connect to the network.

I assume that "host only" you might be able to manually bridge the connections from within the Host OS, but that's a hassle IMO.

Right now, my Ubuntu running blackbox guest OS is using NAT to connect to my work network, and using proxy to get to the internet. The IP given to the guest os is a 192.168 address (which is assigned from the Host OS), where my work network is a 3. address. Bridged will attempt to gain an IP from the same router that the host is getting it from.

My host is win32 xp

Actually, I'm using the bridged network function in two VMs on the same machine at the moment. The only thing I have to do is set the static IPs, DNS and gateway. The only reason I have to do that is because I have DHCP disabled on my router. I prefer to use static IPs.

Otherwise, if DHCP is enabled on your router, the VM should be assigned its own IP separate from the host. It just uses the host's physically connection to establish a viritual connection.

i have had ubuntu running in vmware on windows with internet, so you should be able to do this.

i have had some troubles with vmware on linux though, the network config is a bit of a bitch in linux, but with windows as the host and linux in the vm, it should be relatively painless to set up

you can download a free 30 day trail of vmware workstation, this will allow you to create your own virtual machine in which to install linux, if you want to continue using the vm past the 30 day period you can use the free vm ware player, which only allows running of VMs (no creation etc..)

The config is not that bad (at least on CentOS). You just need to remember to run vmware from a shell after install for initial setup.

You can also get VMware server for free with no expiration.

Back