VM Server in Linux (XP as a VM)

its fairly easy, load ubuntu, install vmware server, then use the web console to create/manage VM's

It's the "loading" and "installing" parts that are problematic for *nix newbies like myself. That's the stuff I'm looking for words of wisdom on, as well as the creation of the VM itself such as recommended resource allocations and whatnot.

I'm not sure if you're still looking for advice, but axan's advice is pretty good. that's how i got into virtualization, just jumping in and doing it. just go with the recommended minimums for the OS you're loading and it should run fine. i know i had some trouble getting vmware server installed but that could have been me and it was a while ago (6.* i think); i wound up running virtualbox, which does the same thing. good luck

Well I finally got ubuntu 8.10 intrepid (Ultimate Edition 2.0) in a stable & usable state. I even have XP in a virtualbox VM, but it sucks and I'm literally in the process of loading VM Server, again. The first time I loaded it I couldn't get access to the management webpage. No idea why that was the case since the install guide said to use the same username & password as what I log on to Ubutu with.

Anyway, I'm in good shape. I just need to refine things a bit. I'll tell you one thing, in the last 2 weeks I've learned more about linux than the last 4 years combined, including a Solaris 9 class and working with solaris off and on for 3 years.

I'm not sure if you're still looking for advice, but axan's advice is pretty good. that's how i got into virtualization, just jumping in and doing it. just go with the recommended minimums for the OS you're loading and it should run fine. i know i had some trouble getting vmware server installed but that could have been me and it was a while ago (6.* i think); i wound up running virtualbox, which does the same thing. good luck

+1 for VirtualBox. I just set it up today after having problems with both VMWare and Virtual PC. VirtualBox worked perfectly the first time I tried it and I love the ability to connect to my virtual machines with the RDP protocol (there are great RDP clients available for almost every OS). Check it out: http://www.virtualbox.org/

Before I write off VB, how do you get the NIC working and pass data between the VM and host system? Is it as simple as drag & dropping files and folders?

Unfortunately, VirtualBox doesn't have drag & drop like VM Server does. You can set up folder sharing through VB, but it's not as easy as drag n drop nor as convenient, and I cannot for the life of me get it working in Vista or 7. I use VB mostly because I didn't use some of the more advanced features of any of VMware's appliances, but if you find yourself wanting the more advanced features and more mature product all around, VM Server is definitely the way to go. Sorry you seem to be having so much trouble with both of these products. I haven't messed around too much with VMs on a Linux host, mostly just an XP host.

Installing the latest version of Workstation into Ubuntu was drop dead simple. sudo sh <install_bundle_name>

I would personally recommend Workstation over Server any day of the week for those seeking to do a hosted virtualization solution. Just my $.02 though.

This is for Ubuntu Server 8.04.01, but it probably still applies to Ubuntu Server 8.10 (replace items within <> with appropriate information):

This information was obtained here.

1. Install the needed tools:
a. sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r` xinetd​
2. Download vmware server (be sure to obtain a serial number). Place it in a safe directory (e.g. /src/VMWare) and extract:
a. sudo mkdir -p /src/VMWare​
b. cd /src/VMWare​
c. sudo tar xzf VMware-server-<version>.tar.gz​
3. Browse to the new VMware source folder and execute the install script:
a. cd /src/VMWare/vmware-server-distrib​
b. sudo ./vmware-install.pl​
4. Select the defaults during installation. NOTE: When the installation asks for a default user, change from root to the username to be used to access the server.
5. Enter your serial number during the installation.
6. Last, before running vmware:
a. sudo cp /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1​
b. sudo cp /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0 /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libpng12.so.0​
7. In addition, for 64 bit users only:
a. sudo apt-get install ia32-libs​
b. sudo ln -s /usr/lib32 /usr/l32​
c. sudo sed -i -e 's:usr/lib/:usr/l32/:g' /usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loader-files.d/libgtk2.0-0.loaders​
d. sudo sed -i -e 's:usr/lib/:usr/l32/:g' /usr/lib32/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.1200.9​

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or would like to delve further into Ubuntu Server.

Yeah, ok, I didn't see your link in the first post, so disregard my last one.

I have VMWare server running on a spare machine within Ubuntu Server 8.10 at home, works well for having a couple boxes available to play with different distros, etc.

For what it's worth, as I understand, vmware 1.0.8 hasn't been updated to work with the updated kernel in 8.10. I found a .pl script that updates the necessary vmware files to vmware will install on 8.10. Let me know if that would be of interest. It worked for me.

Back