VM problem

gnewbury

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - September 2007
Just tried to install VMware on the new Dell 530 Q6600 w/ Vista Home Basic. It's my first VMware install.
At what appeared to be the last step the machine rebooted (without asking), and continued to reboot. I went to the restore point before VMware and it seems to work now, but w/o Vmware.
Any suggestions to get it working?
I've only 1GB at the moment, was just trying to see how the load works while I wait for the other 2gb to come in.

Just tried to install VMware on the new Dell 530 Q6600 w/ Vista Home Basic. It's my first VMware install.
At what appeared to be the last step the machine rebooted (without asking), and continued to reboot. I went to the restore point before VMware and it seems to work now, but w/o Vmware.
Any suggestions to get it working?
I've only 1GB at the moment, was just trying to see how the load works while I wait for the other 2gb to come in.

Make sure under your CPU settings in the BIOS you have Virtual Machine turned on. It won’t run without that setting.;)

Note that some bios's may list this in different ways.
These are the two I have seen.
  • Vanderpool Technology
  • Virtualizaton Technology

May also be IVT (Intel Virtualization Technology)

Make sure under your CPU settings in the BIOS you have Virtual Machine turned on. It won’t run without that setting.;)

Yup it's on.
Any other suggestions?

Is this UAC rearing its ugly head again? Disable it, install VM, and then re-enable it.

I found that to get VMWare Server to work under Vista, I had to turn off "Only work with Signed Drivers".
Hit "F8" at the end of P.O.S.T. to get into that options menu.
Its why I stopped useing Vista and have gone back to XP.

Luck ............ :D

Back