Vive Team at HTC Refutes Claims That VR Is Dying

The new Vive is pretty pricey and IMO not worth it unless you have money to burn.
The Rift is way cheaper and not a whole lot less quality resolution than the new Vive. It is a great entry into VR as well as the old Vive.(I think the old Vive is priced good still?)

I think the new Vive is over 1K for it all?
I probably spent half that much just on content for my Rift just to start. I mean, it's all relative.

Has there ever been a mission statement outlining the goals for VR? Is it in the beginning stages of becoming a mainstream alternative to monitors for gaming, or will it remain in its niche as a novelty with the majority of its games casual "experiences"? I would love for VR to succeed, but the current hardware and game selection do not serve it well for gaming.

Has there ever been a mission statement outlining the goals for VR? Is it in the beginning stages of becoming a mainstream alternative to monitors for gaming, or will it remain in its niche as a novelty with the majority of its games casual "experiences"? I would love for VR to succeed, but the current hardware and game selection do not serve it well for gaming.
There are more and more games switching games or built for VR.
The immersion aspect is beyond anything that the 2D flat screen can give it's just not even comparable. The res still needs to get up there but really isn't too bad. I love my rift and use it daily. Good exercise and just fun to play.
I think the graphics are decent, but I think 4K will really bring it on.

I have to wait till it gets cooler outside or winter before i can pull out the vive again, wayy too hot to play. I get to sweating hard and head gets hot real fast. Plus, its summer, im out enjoying the weather.

In my past, I would have jumped in on tech like this and have upgraded my VR stuff a few times by now. I'm married with children (go ahead, play the sound track) now. I don't have as much free time, and am trying to buy more selective on purchases like this (not too mention, have to deal with stuff like braces, house repairs, etc that I didn't have in my 20's). I would have owned Oculus Rift, Vive, and likely upgraded what I could. My GPU would have been a 1080ti.
I still think VR is awesome. I've spent a few hours playing with a Vive and thought it was great. I do want to get into this market eventually.
However, I think VR needs to come down in price a lot. If I am buying a Vive, the hardware is basically going to run me $500-600 I believe. Oh yeah, my GPU is a 970 - I should probably upgrade it to a 1070/80 if I want a better experience. There is another $500-800. Darn, I have a 2600k CPU. It would probably do the job, but let's face it, it's old and might hold me back a bit. Now we are looking at new ram, mobo, cpu. I'm looking at $3000+ for what I'd want to purchase. This kind of money is never going to fly for main stream people.
We need something kind of like the hardware in Ready Player One. I'd assume they would be running of cloud rendering farms. I don't think our network infrastructure could deliver a good experience yet.
Since I'm rambling, I'll just end up the post saying I will probably enter the VR market after I upgrade my rig.

I have to wait till it gets cooler outside or winter before i can pull out the vive again, wayy too hot to play. I get to sweating hard and head gets hot real fast. Plus, its summer, im out enjoying the weather.

I hear ya. I don't have air conditioning and my pc absolutely shits heat. I can't play until after sundown.

In my past, I would have jumped in on tech like this and have upgraded my VR stuff a few times by now. I'm married with children (go ahead, play the sound track) now. I don't have as much free time, and am trying to buy more selective on purchases like this (not too mention, have to deal with stuff like braces, house repairs, etc that I didn't have in my 20's). I would have owned Oculus Rift, Vive, and likely upgraded what I could. My GPU would have been a 1080ti.
I still think VR is awesome. I've spent a few hours playing with a Vive and thought it was great. I do want to get into this market eventually.
However, I think VR needs to come down in price a lot. If I am buying a Vive, the hardware is basically going to run me $500-600 I believe. Oh yeah, my GPU is a 970 - I should probably upgrade it to a 1070/80 if I want a better experience. There is another $500-800. Darn, I have a 2600k CPU. It would probably do the job, but let's face it, it's old and might hold me back a bit. Now we are looking at new ram, mobo, cpu. I'm looking at $3000+ for what I'd want to purchase. This kind of money is never going to fly for main stream people.
We need something kind of like the hardware in Ready Player One. I'd assume they would be running of cloud rendering farms. I don't think our network infrastructure could deliver a good experience yet.
Since I'm rambling, I'll just end up the post saying I will probably enter the VR market after I upgrade my rig.

The movie did mention bandwidth riots...

you don't need to upgrade at all. I ran my Oculus Rift on a 290 and 2500K for 6 months and it was fine. All you would need to do is buy the Rift. You would get everything you need and a $150 worth of free games and software to start off your journey. In fact there is a deal out now for $399 for the Rift and it comes with Marvel Powers VR as well, so that's $190 of free software.

People keep exaggerating the expense of getting into VR. You could get into VR pretty cheaply now and know when you upgrade your PC down the line you are going to get an upgrade to your VR experience too.

Bingo

My wife tolerates my gaming time with my family of four kids. If I strapped a brick into my face for hours a time, and checked out as VR is designed to do...she’d be much less tolerant. — and how can I fault that?

I can appreciate why people don't like something strapped to their heads, but, how is losing yourself in VR different from any other hobby that you lose yourself in?

The Digital Trends article is a load of rubbish. It's taking the sales figures from one location as proof that VR is dying. If Digital Trends wrote an article that PC gaming was dying based on just the sales of games on Amazon you would all have laughed at it.

Dying?

Dying??

We've been waiting for VR since the fuckin' Lawnmower Man. After years of hype and bullshit (hey, remember VRML?) we finally start seeing it available for consumers.

PC graphics have become so incredibly immersive even in 2D that the only way forward is out. Three hundred and sixty degrees all round. We are only at the beginning!

What I want to know is, who is the buffoon who reckons it's going to die?

Funny part is it's the Vive team and HTC that is helping kill it with the stupid ass pricing

I think they're redefining their goals depending on how sales go. To me it's clear that VR is meant for a niche at this point in time, but is going to grow. I can't say when it will peak, but it's obvious it's not there yet.

Don't worry, in 3 years it will be bigger than it is now, and people will still be saying it's dead.

Funny part is it's the Vive team and HTC that is helping kill it with the stupid ass pricing

It's new and niche.

Do you think CD-player hi-fis were cheap when they first came out? How about Personal Computers? Of course not.

It will not be long before you buy a cheap, imported VR set from behind the counter at 7-11 :mrgreen:

The pricing will drop, that's how it works.

I can appreciate why people don't like something strapped to their heads, but, how is losing yourself in VR different from any other hobby that you lose yourself in?
Because my wife can still get my attention as necessary will I game traditionally. She can holler at me, or wave at me and have me react, and subsequently attend to family business as necessary. If my eyes were blocked, and my ears blocked, and I'm lost in fairy tale land I just know she'd get madder than a hornet as I would be oblivious to the family life around me. And I get that... The only way it would work for me is if I had multiple headsets and we were all participating in a multiplayer game. (wife and kids)

you don't need to upgrade at all. I ran my Oculus Rift on a 290 and 2500K for 6 months and it was fine. All you would need to do is buy the Rift. You would get everything you need and a $150 worth of free games and software to start off your journey. In fact there is a deal out now for $399 for the Rift and it comes with Marvel Powers VR as well, so that's $190 of free software.

People keep exaggerating the expense of getting into VR. You could get into VR pretty cheaply now and know when you upgrade your PC down the line you are going to get an upgrade to your VR experience too.
Good to know - I read a while back the performance was not going to be that great. I'll check out the deal. $399 isn't bad - especially with some of the games.

Back