Vivaldi, the New Web browser for Power Users

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Tired of Firefox, Internet Explorer and even Chrome? Your browser taking control of you instead of the other way around? You could be a prime candidate for the first new mainstream browser to hit the Internet in the past seven years. Vivaldi is a new browser for power users. While still under construction, you can take the browser for a test run now on Windows, OSX and Linux.

Vivaldi boasts many features the average user is unlikely to need or even be aware of. And after using the browser for a trial period, it's clear that this is indeed a power user's browser built by power users for power users. Put another way, this is the new (old) Opera.

Definitely interested when it allows granular scripting control.

Classic Opera was always a Power User browser. The issue was that it was User singular, not Users plural.

Power users like to customize applications to their workflow and needs. But each one is going to want something different - someone trying to use my desktop or my browser is going to run into lots of hurdles because commands are hidden or bound to obscure keys (I've got several common apps that are pinned nowhere, but instead launched with CTRL+ALT+letter hotkeys), some behavoirs made more complex (I've got about 5 different save commands in just one menu) and it is generally something only I would find sensical because it has grown around my own unique workflow.

Classic Opera was configured in such a way, clearly designed to the advanced workflow of one user. Now certainly in a world of a few billion people there are others who happen to match it but not a lot (as evidence by Opera's user count which they tried for years to blame on IE, even as FireFox and then Chrome rose on their own merits).

By comparison something like Classic FireFox was a Power Users browser. The out of the box configuration exposed a good deal of features without being too overwhelming to average users. It was still perfectly usable by non-power users. It had discovery and other good UI practices. But you could configure it, both in the menus and more advanced about:config. And add extensions. And step by step you would progress to a heavily customized browser that would be alien to anyone but you.

Vivaldi Browser : Features Explained!: http://youtu.be/qaaOfO4p348

I like the look of it. Some of the features are cool. Going to give it a whirl.

I stopped using Opera after it became just another chrome browser... if I wanted to use chrome I would use chrome... and firefox has been steadily becoming worse... it uses tons of memory and I need tons of plugins to add features that Opera had at some point... if this is anything like opera used to be then this is great news... going to give it a test drive and see how it goes

I stopped using Opera after it became just another chrome browser... if I wanted to use chrome I would use chrome... and firefox has been steadily becoming worse... it uses tons of memory and I need tons of plugins to add features that Opera had at some point... if this is anything like opera used to be then this is great news... going to give it a test drive and see how it goes

I tried Opera once.

Thought it was a massive fail due to its inability to properly render most pages I use. I never used it again.

IMHO, the switch to WebKit was a positive development for it.

None of the features I just read about in this linked article really excite me though. Keeping an eye on it though, might be worth using at some point.

I'm at the point right now, where I use chrome and I am not really missing anything. Would be nice to have multiple rows of tabs, but it's not a huge deal for me.

I couldn't tell you what it would take from a browser for me to switch. If I see cool innovation that gives me more out of my browser experience, I'm not averse to trying it, but right now, Chrome plus the extensions I use works fine for me.

Zarathustra[H];1041471749 said:
I tried Opera once.

Thought it was a massive fail due to the web designers' inability to properly code most pages I use.

FTFY.

Opera conformed to all web standards. Not their fault most web designers were morons who only coded for IE.

A web browser that sounds like an off-the-shelf Italian food. Great, sign me up.

FTFY.

Opera conformed to all web standards. Not their fault most web designers were morons who only coded for IE.

Yes its is their fault for making a product that while follows standards does not work in the real practical world :)

If it's like old Opera, I will jump on that ship so hard.
Seriously. I refuse to go to Chopera, and none of the other browsers offer anything close to the experience of Opera. Unfortunately, 12.x is being left behind by sites (Google maps causes my 12.17 to slow to a glacial crawl). But I'll use it until it is completely unusable.

Yes its is their fault for making a product that while follows standards does not work in the real practical world :)

Plus when a customer is paying as little as possible 70% of the time taken to get a web site working can be making it pixel perfect with as many browsers as possible.

When you look at the user/browser share and IE8/9/10/11/Chrome/Firefox has 95% sewn up you have to drop one or two lesser browsers for the sake of staying in budget and profit.

IE gets special attention as it's the browser used by most corporations.

Opera got the bullet.

FTFY.

I tend to agree that the whole IE6 garbage and complete disregard for web standards was a microsoft caused problem.

That being said, it doesn't matter whose fault it was.

I'm not going to use a web browser that cant render the websites I use properly, regardless of whose fault it is.

Devout user of 12.18 x64 here, but its use is wearing thin these past 3 months with major performance issues on many popular sites/forums.

If not for the built-in gestures that work, built-in adblock that works, built-in javascript whitelisting that works, built in sync that works... and pretty much still being the best browser ever without having to deal with stupid &%@#ing plugins that may or may not be updated at any point in time...

Oh who am I kidding, I'll keep using it til I can't Google with it <3

Definitely interested when it allows granular scripting control.

As a security and admin professional, this +more. I don't need much out of my browser, but I do want transparency and ability to control privacy/security.

You guys should try give Maxthon a try, The best browser I have used.
A lot better than Ie,chrome,firefox or opera...

Back