Vista's telling me my activation is wrong

MrWizard6600

Supreme [H]ardness
I boot up my machine today to be greeted by a window telling me I need to activate windows. As you may imagine this is causing me some alarm as I had activated it over three months ago. The time it gives you to activate windows is one month. Prior to today I had no warning that vista was in any way un-activated.

When I use the CD key supplied by the box it tells me that my CDkey is already in use, which is almost impossible.

I'm on Vista 64bit ultimate. It was given to me as a birthday present by a person I know who works as a software engineer at microsoft.

What gets me most about my problem is that you might think that the biggest software corperation in the world would have the biggest and bestest (software and otherwise) support in the world, guess again.

Microsofts lack of technical support is stunning.

Anyone got any suggestions?

edit: does a ram change fall under the "out of tolerance" clause for deactivation of windows? If so then.... hows it goin mr. pinguine?

1) I've already tripped activation by swapping memory out of my computer. Whether or not that is justified, it does happen.
2) In the time it took you to type that post, you could have called in and had your system re-activated. I'm not sure how you came to your conclusion, but I guess if you expected Bill Gates to knock on your day immediately after seeing that activation message, I can see how you'd be disappointed. Give a company's support a chance before you bash them.

pffft i don't even know if its an indian guy anymore..

i had to call and activiate my XP last night (new memory, new video card) and i couldn't be more pleased with how smooth the new automated re-acitvation system was..

i don't know if vista is the same way, but the new XP re-activation is a breeze..

1) I've already tripped activation by swapping memory out of my computer. Whether or not that is justified, it does happen.
2) In the time it took you to type that post, you could have called in and had your system re-activated. I'm not sure how you came to your conclusion, but I guess if you expected Bill Gates to knock on your day immediately after seeing that activation message, I can see how you'd be disappointed. Give a company's support a chance before you bash them.

And of course, if Bill Gates did knock on your door, it'd be about 0.3ms until we saw another message of "VISTA SENDING PERSONAL DATA!"

Back