Vista -> XP.

Jimrob25

Weaksauce
I have an HP a6109n and it came with windows vista premium installed on it when I purchased it. I was wondering if I were able to find the windows xp drivers for all of the internal devices inside would if be safe to try and downgrade back to my xp professional?

I have a vista restore disc from the place I bought it from, so I would assume it would be worth the try?

I was wondering if I were able to find the windows xp drivers for all of the internal devices inside would if be safe to try and downgrade back to my xp professional?

Should be safe. However the most difficult part is actually finding XP drivers for the parts inside that PC.

Find the model number on HP's site and see if there are drivers available for XP.

wow, that garbage....i hate vista, ot keeps asking me to install vista service pack 1 but when I do, it basically changes my pc and the way things function. =(

One example is an FPS shooter I play, after the install of sp1 it makes it to where my FPS max's out at 60 instead of the 100 I played at, and all of my ingame movements feel so weird and like I'm being held in certain situations. Its retarded.

If I were you and wanted badly to install XP, the HP website would be the last place to find drivers for it. What I would do is research what kind of hardware my laptop uses; the mainboard, graphics card, network card, sound, etc. all have their own websites and usually provide drivers that are not only compatible with more operating systems but are more up to date. There could be a couple of exceptions like special laptop buttons or a tablet digitizer that are only available through the laptop manufacturer's website.

If I were you and wanted badly to install XP, the HP website would be the last place to find drivers for it. What I would do is research what kind of hardware my laptop uses; the mainboard, graphics card, network card, sound, etc. all have their own websites and usually provide drivers that are not only compatible with more operating systems but are more up to date. There could be a couple of exceptions like special laptop buttons or a tablet digitizer that are only available through the laptop manufacturer's website.

The HP A6109N is a desktop, mate. Did you even google it before blabbing on?

The HP website is the FIRST place to look. For the detailed system specifications. Those show that the machine has:

• Asus M2N68-LA motherboard (HP codename Narra2-GL8E)
  • NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 chipset.

Being a HP machine, it's quite possible that it's customised specifically for HP, so manufacturer drivers may not work 100% correctly, but that's a start.

• nVidia GeForce 6150SE onboard graphics
  • nVidia MediaShield Storage (RAID 0 and RAID 1, if included. Not all A6109N machines have it.
  • 8-channel, high definition ALC888S audio
  • Realtek RTL8201N 10/100 Mbps LAN

That done, time to go scouring manufacturer websites for XP-compatible device drivers. I'm not gonna do that. Jimrob25 can do that. And Jimrob25 should bear in mind that, if the motherboard actually IS a customised implementation produced by Asus specifically for HP, then Asus-provided BIOS updates and Nvidia provided chipset and graphics drivers may not be 100% compatible. If they aren't then SOL!

Back