Vista Ultimate 64bit not detecting all my memory...

EsTeeM

Weaksauce
Just up to recently my system is only detecting 3.3gb of my memory. I have 4x1gb installed. My bios detects all 4096mb of my ram. Only change ive made to the OS recently was removed the SP1 Beta to install Dreamscene. Any thoughts?

ive searched in my bios for that option and cannot find it. what part would it be in.?

Some motherboards won't see all the RAM with a 64 bit OS. My Dell SC430 is like that. The manual states that only 3.3 GB will be available, no matter what OS is used.

If you're talking about the mobo in your sig (Maximus Formula), then the option is in the BIOS. Check page 4-25 of the manual:

Under the advanced menu, choose North Bridge Configuration and the Memory Remap Feature should be there.

I also saw a few BIOS updates that dealt with memory. If this option is on (and it is by default in the newer BIOS updates) then try grabbing the latest and greatest update and installing it.

Flash your BIOS to the current level. I had to do the same thing.

Just an fyi --

Flashing your BIOS might not be necessary. ASUS has a note in the BIOS revisions for some of it's motherboard indicating that they turned the Memory Remap Feature on by default. So, yeah, flashing the BIOS might work because it flips this option on, but I'm of the mindset that I don't need to flash a BIOS until I have a real reason to do so.

I'd recommend taking a peek at the BIOS again and make sure the option is enabled before you flash your BIOS. It's going to be quicker to check for this setting than flashing your BIOS anyway.

The motherboard is an ASUS Maximus Formula SE, it was detecting 4gb of ram in vista before and I noticed it after is uninstalled SP1 Beta.
blehky7.jpg

My mobo detects all the ram and my OS is 64bit. I will try the bios update when I get a chance, I did search through the bios and couldn't find the memory remapping option. Anyone else have a similer mobo that could point me in the right direction?

the memory mapping is enabled. ive seen some people having to restore their machines. think this may be the case for me? any other ideas?

Before you start a restore, you might want to remove 1 or 2 sticks, let it boot, shut down, put the stick(s) back in and see if the BIOS/OS detects the change and "rights" itself.

Worth a shot...

Also, you should see how much memory the BIOS reports during post. If the BIOS only reports the 3.xx gigs, than an OS restore will do nothing.

i showed a picture a few posts up. cpuz is showing 4096mb. my bios reports the same. i have a feeling that the sp1 beta uinstall caused this :\

Sorry, I missed the above.

Have you reinstalled SP1 RC to see if it restores the 4 gigs?

well, i fixed the problem with a simple restore. only reason i did restore was because i bought 2 320gb hd's and decided to toy with raid0. now the system runs great =]

Sorry, I missed the above.

Have you reinstalled SP1 RC to see if it restores the 4 gigs?

Just an FYI starting with vista sp1 they are going to show the total memory installed on the system in the properties even if the machine can not address all of it. IE if the board only can map 4 gigs total it will show all for gigs installed even with the adressing space taking up some of it. In the past it would show as much as it could use. Ie the 3. some odd gigs.

Back