Vista TV Pack 2008

so your getting qam channels on that 1600 card? That only on the astc side so your not getting OTA now right? My cable company puts all the locals on qam but NBC for some reason but i can live with getting them qam with my dual 1600s.

i need an antennae i think to get any OTA where i am. Im in canada and i heard i could get 1 maybe 3 stations OTA HD, I'll buy rabbit ears try it and report back

qam is working right? you have your cable plugged into both jacks on that card? I know OTA works for me but id rather use qam so i dont have to mess with my antenna since they are all spread out where im at.

does anyone know if the HVR-1250s are working in 32bit? I was thinking about picking one up from Circuit City since they are on sale for what I could get them online for. Of course if it doesn't work I could always just get an antenna of OTA.

qam is working right? you have your cable plugged into both jacks on that card? I know OTA works for me but id rather use qam so i dont have to mess with my antenna since they are all spread out where im at.

I dont subscribe to digital yet so i think i can not get any qam, i need a digital box/reciever and digital service for that wouldnt i?, i will try OTA HD when i get an antennae, and report back.

you should get qam if you have basic cable from any company. They dont block them on most places. I have regular cable and 10 qam channels.

you should get qam if you have basic cable from any company. They dont block them on most places. I have regular cable and 10 qam channels.

really? i'll connect both cables and run setup when i get home and see what i get- i'll report here after -

question does this new media center now support qam ?

yeah thats one of the big things. Vista didnt do qam unless you had a hdhomerun. I have been waiting for qam with my dual 1600s.

They are required to have clear qam on the broadcast hd channels (ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX/PBS). Sometimes you'll get others. Locally my TW affiliate used to have Universal HD on clear QAM but not anymore.

They are required to have clear qam on the broadcast hd channels (ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX/PBS).

Well I only get PBS and CBS..so i'm not sure what they are required to do with QAM. I thought they were only required OTA?

now that this is out I am seriously considering switching from my mythtv setup to vista media center but ugh, the compatibility on various cards is so sketchy right now. half the posts I see say the avermedia avertv pcie combo card would work fine, half say it won't, plus the myriad of reports of qam tuners being picked up but no channels showing up amongst other issues. I guess I may just have to wait until september to see.

Anybody have QAM working with an All-In-Wonder HD? Can't fit my 2900XT in the fusion without leaving the top off, so it's time to get another card.

This is awesome. I'm going to try this out on my HTPC tonight.

Anybody have QAM working with an All-In-Wonder HD? Can't fit my 2900XT in the fusion without leaving the top off, so it's time to get another card.

ATI's AIW doesn't support QAM. It's capable of it but it doesn't support it in drivers.

ATI's AIW doesn't support QAM. It's capable of it but it doesn't support it in drivers.

Well it works using ATI Catalyst Media Center, but I thought this TV Pack added clear QAM support to Vista Media Center, does it not do that?

Yes, it adds ClearQAM support in MCE, but first and most importantly, the drivers for your card must fully support it.

Yes, it adds ClearQAM support in MCE, but first and most importantly, the drivers for your card must fully support it.

So which is it, ATI says the All-In-Wonder HD supports ClearQAM in Catalyst Media Center, which should mean the drivers support it. Do the other 650 pro based cards work with unencrypted QAM with the new TV pack or do you still need Catalyst Media Center for them as well?

Well, the driver has to work and be supported by the company, and the tuner has to be supported under the new TV Pack plugin. I don't have a supported tuner cards list, so I don't know.

Please correct me if i am wrong:

This update is basically for people who want QAM support. If i don't have cable, and have no desire to get more than the OTA signals, there is no reason for me to get this.
More DRM and still no native support for h264/mkv, which is 80% of what i watch on VMC means that this is a very unattractive update for me, right? Or am i missing something?

Which DRM problems do you have under Vista? I certainly have none.

Not only that, but H.264 is fairly new to consumers, so I wouldn't expect it to be introduced until the next release of media center in Windows 7 anyway. Also, the MKV container is so non-mainstream, I bet 95% of computer users couldn't even tell you what it was. MKV is really only used for personal rips or pirated content because of it's flexibility. I have yet to see hardly anything mainstream or company-wise make use of it with their media content.

But VMC will allow for x264/h264 in MKV containers. Just install the MyMovies plug-in with the proper codec set. See my sticky thread for the "how to".

i was going to say.....i dont know why all these people complain of DRM pains with Vista, i have been running it a long time and can play, edit, record, any files with any program without ever having Vista refuse to do anything.....:confused:

Same here, lol. I'd really like some answers to what doesn't work.

even the virtual drive in power iso works on x64 Vista.....and i heard all sorts of stories about Vista refusing to work with virtual drives......

Not only that, but H.264 is fairly new to consumers, so I wouldn't expect it to be introduced until the next release of media center in Windows 7 anyway. Also, the MKV container is so non-mainstream, I bet 95% of computer users couldn't even tell you what it was. MKV is really only used for personal rips or pirated content because of it's flexibility. I have yet to see hardly anything mainstream or company-wise make use of it with their media content.

But VMC will allow for x264/h264 in MKV containers. Just install the MyMovies plug-in with the proper codec set. See my sticky thread for the "how to".
I wasn't saying i have any problems with my current setup with Vista. I'm talking about the update. I don't currently have any problems with DRM, although i think it's supposed to be there(ie, only being able to play a show from the computer you recorded it on), but the thread for the update says:
-Media Center TV Pack is dependent on PlayReady for playing and recording protected content. This should be installed or you will not have access to protected content
That's more DRM, correct? having to install another program to allow you to watch your content?

And like i said, i'm able to watch mkvs now with my current setup of Vista. It just looks like i wouldn't with the update (until a plugin is developed for the update, i guess?).

I wasn't saying i have any problems with my current setup with Vista. I'm talking about the update. I don't currently have any problems with DRM, although i think it's supposed to be there(ie, only being able to play a show from the computer you recorded it on), but the thread for the update says:

-Media Center TV Pack is dependent on PlayReady for playing and recording protected content. This should be installed or you will not have access to protected content

That's more DRM, correct? having to install another program to allow you to watch your content?
Playready is only to support already DRM'd content, which many media distributors have already moved to. It's for pay-per-view access, media rental, subscriptions, encrypted tv channels, etc.

Read this and take a look.. it seems to support any device on your network that is PlayReady enabled, including mobile devices, so sharing on your own network isn't an issue.
http://www.microsoft.com/PlayReady/Features.mspx

Playready is only to support already DRM'd content, which many media distributors have already moved to. It's for pay-per-view access, media rental, subscriptions, encrypted tv channels, etc.

Read this and take a look.. it seems to support any device on your network that is PlayReady enabled, including mobile devices, so sharing on your own network isn't an issue.
http://www.microsoft.com/PlayReady/Features.mspx

ahh, ok, thanks for clearing that up for me. Seems like the update isn't as bad as i thought.

So which is it, ATI says the All-In-Wonder HD supports ClearQAM in Catalyst Media Center, which should mean the drivers support it. Do the other 650 pro based cards work with unencrypted QAM with the new TV pack or do you still need Catalyst Media Center for them as well?

The drivers have to support ClearQAM in VMC, not just in general. Also drivers need to be rewritten to support QAM in VMC with TV Pack installed. Just cause it supports QAM in CMC (which is garbage anyways) it needs to have it's drivers written to support VMC with TC Pack.

The drivers have to support ClearQAM in VMC, not just in general. Also drivers need to be rewritten to support QAM in VMC with TV Pack installed. Just cause it supports QAM in CMC (which is garbage anyways) it needs to have it's drivers written to support VMC with TC Pack.

So where can we find a list of supported cards with the TV Pack, is it in the release notes or is it just trial and error? Kind of strange the ATI would have drivers that support cablecard QAM in VMC but they don't have any that support the tuners that do unencrypted QAM.

Trial and error, MS (AFAIK) haven't made any list of new supported tuners public which is just part of the whole "OEM only" thing about TV Pack.

I did a fresh install of vista 32 bit with the tv pack and used the latest drivers for my m780 from the windows update and it works great.

Since I did a fresh install I was thinking about switching to Open Media Library instead of my movies. Has anyone tried media library and think its worth the switch from mymovies?

Back