Vista to XP through Dell

TommyT

Weaksauce
My son purchased a Dell Inspiron 1505 from Dell back in June for college and light gaming. Unfortunately, Vista was the only OS that was available. :mad:

He's had nothing but problems with Vista and is about to throw the whole thing out the window. He wants Dell to replace Vista with XP in order to not void his warranty or go through the expense of buying XP.

Has anyone had luck with this?

Tom

My son purchased a Dell Inspiron 1505 from Dell back in June for college and light gaming. Unfortunately, Vista was the only OS that was available. :mad:

He's had nothing but problems with Vista and is about to throw the whole thing out the window. He wants Dell to replace Vista with XP in order to not void his warranty or go through the expense of buying XP.

Has anyone had luck with this?

Tom

Now. before we get into a pissing contest over why XP is better then Vista and vice versa did you update all the drivers for the lappy? Did you also remove nearly all the bloatware? Just want to make sure before you go back to XP, you aren't shafted by Dell.

Vista is a good OS, but on many pre-builts their shit really boggles it down including my lappy too.

Aside from the Vista "issues" or troubleshooting, I don't think Dell is going to simply give him a copy of XP just to appease him (or you, for that matter, Dad). The only way to know for sure is to most definitely not ask us these questions, but Dell.

Call them and discuss things, see what happens. Simple.

What's really said in this situation is, that a company can take a well functioning OS, and ruin it before having it shipped out to the customer. I'm always amazed at how slow OEM systems are when you take them out of the box, and the difference you can achieve with a fresh install of the OS.

If they can't give you XP, ask them for a plain Vista disc, and do the fresh install yourself, without heir crapware added in. Grab the latest drivers and you should be fine.

A clean install of Vista works wonders. The OEM install on my ThinkPad was ridiculously slow.

Any OEM disc will or, 32- or 64-bit.

Does your son's college offer any deals on computer software. Some schools offer software and OS's to their students, for little to no cost. I have a friend who got Vista Business Ed. for free, from his University.

Otherwise, like others have suggested, talk to Dell. My guess is his performance issues are caused by the additional software they no-doubt installed on the system. I bought my wife a Compaq laptop last year, under 400 dollars at Walmart, during a sale, and it had all sorts of tasks and programs running in the background.

PC Decrapifier FTW!!! Hey, it works in Vista too... and it sure can't hurt if you can't get your hands on XP or the Vista installer DVD for a clean one.

Didnt he get a Dell Vista DVD with the laptop?
Ive gotten Vista DVD's with all my laptops (10+ including one today) and they all came with various Vista DVD's to reinstall cleanly with.

Plus, if he bought this back in June...its still under warranty and you should waste Dells time trying to fix it if your hoping they will give you XP

Problems like? Not knowing how to use a computer? Seriously though. If it was bought back in June there's no way you're getting an XP disc. Unless you really bitch, even then, maybe not. If he bought right from dell he should have the reinstallation disc. Which is just the bare OS. Just reinstall it. Directions on windowsreinstall.com. It takes like 30 minutes.

What version of vista did he get with it?

If he got business or ultimate you can legally downgrade it to xp pro. If he did get either let me know and I'll go through how to do it.

Back