Vista SP1 RC1

unless it makes DX9 games perform at least 10% better than XP, I don't care.

They need to make good on that promise they made before vista went retail

I got several e-mail saying that the SP1 RC id not showing up on the Windows Update site so I checked myself and I get the same thing. Anyone else not able to get the SP1 RC?

im downloading it right now on both my laptop and my main pc through windows update. extract that file that you linked to and run SP1cppRK.cmd as admin then check windows update. might take a few min to show up. you have to install a few other updates and restart twice for vista ultimate.

I'm pretty gung-ho on RC1 products, but i think I will wait on this unless the [H] community sees some worthwhile gains or benefits beyond the existing updates and hotfixes.

As I posted in the other Vista SP1 RC1 thread:

Basically, my only issue with Vista is copying files to/from remote computers/file servers/etc.

Here is my test - copy an .iso of Win2k3 Server R2 x64 (528MB) from the remote file share to my local PC over 100mbit network connection

Before SP1 RC1:
1. Depress right mouse button and hold on .iso. Drag from network location to my desktop. (takes ~8 seconds for the icon of the .iso to even move to my desktop)
2. Release right mouse button. (2 second pause) Context menu pops up -> choose copy.
3. ~45 second delay while "time remaining" is calculated.
4. Bar slowly starts filling up. Estimate peaks at 6 minutes. Actual time from depressing right mouse button until file is copied to my desktop: 7 minutes - 10.06 MBPS

After SP1 RC1:
1. Depress right mouse button and hold on .iso. Drag from network location to my desktop. (icon INSTANTLY appears under my cursor and moves to the desktop with no delay)
2. Release right mouse button. Context menu INSTANTLY pops up -> choose copy.
3. No delay - bar immediately jumps to ~5% complete and continues to copy while revising estimate. Initial estimate of "55 seconds" appears within 1 second of start of test.
4. Bar slowly starts filling up. Estimate continues to decline normally. Actual time from depressing right mouse button until file is copied to my desktop: 56 seconds - 75.42 MBPS

I haven't tested anything else yet, but as long as SuperFetch still works as well as it did in RTM, I'll be happy :D

And I'm still absolutely loving it :)

I installed it this morning before I went to work and now since Ive been back Ive definately noticed that it is a lot snappier. This is on my Shuttle computer which isnt that powerful. Read over the changelog as it describes the changes made.

So far so good. Moving files around is finally as fast or faster as it is on XP machine. Before SP1 just moving a small 250mb file to a different folder would take 20-30 seconds but now its instant. Also my Fraps video folder took nearly 2 freakin minutes fully open before SP1 but now its open as soon as I click on it. I cant believe what a slow ass operating system this was until I installed SP1.

When I clock on the link, download the file, and unzip the files, nothing happens. Any ideas?

Unzip it somewhere you can easily find it, like to C drive, then click the .cmd file. It'll update ur registry. Then you have to go to windows update and check for new updates.

Maybe it's me, but if you cannot figure out how to GET SP1 RC1 maybe you shouldn't be screwing with an RC at all... Wait for the RTM version to be forced on you.

Maybe it's me, but if you cannot figure out how to GET SP1 RC1 maybe you shouldn't be screwing with an RC at all... Wait for the RTM version to be forced on you.
I was running RC1 of Vista last year, and I have been running the rc of Office 07 sp1 for a bit. The Office rc just appeared in my updates like it should, no reason why i should expect the SP rc to do anything different.

It won't install properly for me - Vista 64 - as Windows Update was stuck on downloading for 6% so I downloaded the standalone updater from Microsoft's website - the 835 MB file - and that is stuck at 50% - and when I tried Windows update again, it said it failed. So I dont know why it wont install for me but I'm going to leave it running all night and make it work.

Other than that, it's a pretty sweet update.

It won't install properly for me - Vista 64 - as Windows Update was stuck on downloading for 6% so I downloaded the standalone updater from Microsoft's website - the 835 MB file - and that is stuck at 50% - and when I tried Windows update again, it said it failed. So I dont know why it wont install for me but I'm going to leave it running all night and make it work.

Other than that, it's a pretty sweet update.
just leave it alone and it will finish. mine sat at 7% for about 15 minutes and then again at 95% for 10 minutes.

I downloaded and installed it....took about an hour or so all totalled with numerous restarts which is normal. I got one BSOD and it reset itself and finished the installation. Much snappier response on the desktop, internet is much faster and I've had no problems with it as of yet. So far so good. :cool:

I gained about 100 pts in 3DMark06 (running the ATI Crysis Hotfix drivers on my HD3870). Going to try network speeds now between my laptop and desktop.

Well...I'm not getting any faster on the network transfer BUT the "Calculating..." business is no more, came up instantly with a time.

Can anyone else confirm the firefox gimping like the above poster. It seems dumb that this would break firefox but I want to be sure before I try it out.

Can anyone else confirm the firefox gimping like the above poster. It seems dumb that this would break firefox but I want to be sure before I try it out.
Firefox is running the same for me. I have all flash ads disabled though since the last FF update caused issues with them.

Much faster copying between drives in the same computer than under RTM...

I have no problems with Firefox 2.0.0.11. Active add-ons are Adblock Plus, DOM Inspector, Fasterfox, Gmail Manager, IE View, Nuke Anything Enhanced, and Talkback.

I got one BSOD and it reset itself and finished the installation.

Maybe I'm just retconning my memory, but I seem to recall XP SP2 doing that to me when it was in RC. It's almost like they're testing out the crash screen.

just before installing, I had to clear some space off my vista partition, said I needed 10gb and I was at 8gb. Took awhile to move the files. On putting those same files back onto my vista drive, it went much quicker though not blazing, it said 20-25mb/sec which is better than the earlier estimates of like 1-5mb/sec.

So far still testing...

can this be uninstalled if causes problems? or do u have to reformat

Yes.

• Windows Vista SP1 Release Candidate is Time-Limited software. It will no longer operate after June 30, 2008 and should be uninstalled prior to that date. Note: After installation your desktop will show the text “Evaluation Copy”. This does not mean that your system is no longer “Genuine”. It means that you have installed a test version of software which is time-limited.

was annoying to see that evaluation copy on the side there, a user.dll has already been hacked to remove it.

So far no probs... will test some gaming (though I was already within xp's scores for all but crysis), and avi encoding, as that's shown a big gap in performance.

edit: movie encoding still shows a big gap in performance, 250-280 in xp, 170-200 in vista... sucks...

It too froze at 95% for me... then it restarted once and then it had some 3-stage installation going on, and then it booted right back into desktop.

File transfer (folder-to-desktop) is faster. Haven't tried network transfer yet, installing SP1 on my laptop (xpsm1330)

Installed SP1 RC1, took about 1 hour many reboots as told, my network drivers got hosed I removed the network device in the device manager and rebooted boom all was happy.

pretty nice, the explorer is much more responsive and faster in copying files, but i dont feel any improvment in games

its sad, that microsoft hasnt included a proper cisco client - therefore i´ll stay at xp :/

pretty nice, the explorer is much more responsive and faster in copying files

Which is all giggles. I'm sitting here while ~90GB of various crap transfers off my laptop preparatory to trying to install SP1 - I could really use some improved transfer time about now. 3 to 6 hours remaining, my shiny metal arse...

WU installed a 5 MB file, rebooted, ithen nstalled a 9 MB file. Now it tells me there are no new updates. *shrugs*

WU installed a 5 MB file, rebooted, ithen nstalled a 9 MB file. Now it tells me there are no new updates. *shrugs*
it did that for me too but I waited a couple minutes and tried again and it was there.

Apparently you go here or something like that.

Now it's saying 11 days and 19 hours. 5 MB/sec transfer rates FTL.

I was running RC1 of Vista last year, and I have been running the rc of Office 07 sp1 for a bit. The Office rc just appeared in my updates like it should, no reason why i should expect the SP rc to do anything different.

This isnt Vista RC1, this is Vista Service pack RC1 and it just came out.

Back