Vista SP1 RC1

Grrr, I downloaded it, quit all my extra apps in the systray, started the installer, and it gave me an error.

My uploads and download increased a lot somehow after installing this update, in xp my max is 16000kbs down and 1248 kbs up.

Completed installation and it is MUCH snappier now. I have to do some gaming testing, but from what I have been reading on this, and through my brief experience thus far, Microsoft has done a good job with fulfilling some of the promises that were out there during the Vista roll-out. Will it be a serious gamers OS? Not likely yet, but people with OEM installations may have less reason to reload into XP now.

Will it be a serious gamers OS?

Serious gamer's OS = Debian?

Seriously though. So far, nothing I can't say is purely subjective here. But my laptop was already pretty whipped into shape, it did all its misbehaving in the first week I owned it while it was learning who is boss. Even the Intel Turbo Memory was behaving. The network throughput is the main thing I'm looking forward to, and so far it looks like the previously posted results were spot on. Any other high points I should be keeping an eye out for?

unless it makes DX9 games perform at least 10% better than XP, I don't care.

They need to make good on that promise they made before vista went retail

every single new version of windows promises to be faster, but has been slower. they would like you to buy new hardware.

every single new version of windows promises to be faster, but has been slower. they would like you to buy new hardware.

I rarely shut down my laptops, so I can't speak well to cold boot time. Time to resume from sleep or hibernate on Vista seems greatly improved. Resume from sleep with Readywhatsit flash based stuff is just zoom. The computer is back up before the screen can even initialize sometimes.

That's just hype. Every release will be slower than the previous on the same machine. More features never equals faster speed simply because an operating system isn't a program where you might add a bit of minor functionality every few months -- there's always a lot of new code going in, especially in an OS that tries to do everything. If I asked you to process a database with 10000 entries versus a database with twice the amount of data, would you be able to do the second one faster? No, because it's common sense that it won't. Anyone going in expecting there to be magical improvements (there may be some minor improvements, though) should be disappointed.

Why exactly are they releasing a beta via windows update?

I don't like that idea myself. If you want a RC of a program you should have to be smart enough to go do its own personal download page and download it, not have it listed with other updates that you get and allow the average joe to download it along with any other update that thet get becuase they have been told they "really should" run this weekly to keep their machine working properly.

never mind, i just read the page and it looks like you have to run a program on your machine to have it allow you to see SP1 RC show up in your updates, so the average person won't see it, only those that do a little bit of modification to their box for it to show it. Thats good to know.

Once you see the major improvements in network share performance, you WILL care...

unless it makes DX9 games perform at least 10% better than XP, I don't care.

They need to make good on that promise they made before vista went retail

Installed SP1 on my laptop to test. The install took a while, but it installed uneventfully and everything seems to be working fine.

never mind, i just read the page and it looks like you have to run a program on your machine to have it allow you to see SP1 RC show up in your updates, so the average person won't see it, only those that do a little bit of modification to their box for it to show it. Thats good to know.

Yeah. They're just pushing it through WU because it's a highly developed patch delivery system, just the ticket for delivering patches.

I don't know what's going on with my WU, but as soon as I hit "install" for the RC1 update, the Window just stalled, and it's just been sitting there unresponsive for 30 minutes now. Though task manager shows the "view available updates" window as running. So what's going on? Is it updating or is something not right? Because I'm not seeing the usual WU update progress icon in the tray.

I have done all the updates as per microsoft guidelines and still can not install SP1

if you are having problems with mpegs, I would suggest it's not vista's fault but rather the codecs you have installed. I find FFDShow to be a big pain of a codec along with anything mainconcept related.

I got fed up with trying to update via windows update and just decided to download it. 800mb later, about a 30 min install and it was up and running again. It's always good to keep a backup image though of your OS before you pooch screw things...

I got fed up with trying to update via windows update and just decided to download it. 800mb later, about a 30 min install and it was up and running again. It's always good to keep a backup image though of your OS before you pooch screw things...

where did you find it? I can't get it to install via WU either.

just leave it alone and it will finish. mine sat at 7% for about 15 minutes and then again at 95% for 10 minutes.

so Microsoft hasn't released "progress bar SP1" since win95 yet then :D

This morning I was able to d/l a 128MB update from WU. Is that the end of it, or will something else how up after a time? I don't have the text on my desktop that everyone says should be there. I should have just downloaded the whole thing.

Once you see the major improvements in network share performance, you WILL care...

wrong, I dual-boot xp and vista 64 for DX10. So I don't care about network speeds.
the only way I will ever use vista as my main OS is if DX9 game performance exceeds XP across the board by at least 10%

This morning I was able to d/l a 128MB update from WU. Is that the end of it, or will something else how up after a time? I don't have the text on my desktop that everyone says should be there. I should have just downloaded the whole thing.

On the page regarding how to deal with that issue, it specifically mentions your case. You might want to re-read it.

If I went by the criteria that vista must exceed xp by 10%, then I'd have to go back to 2k as I had xp losing to my 2k setup by just as much.

Truth be told, aside from Crysis, I've got benchmarks for FEAR, HL:LC, CS:S, d3 etc that are within 5% of each other. Firingsquad shows similar results. Only in SLI does the gap widen a bit.

the only way I will ever use vista as my main OS is if DX9 game performance exceeds XP across the board by at least 10%

You'd only use an entire OS just for gaming performance? Man... is that wack or what... there's absolutely no other reasons that would get you to use Vista? I mean, seriously, you'd only use and ENTIRE FREAKIN' OS just because it plays games a bit faster?

What is wrong with this world, good grief.

I'm not trying to troll here, just seriously curious that someone would have the cajones to actually flat out make such a statement. Hell, the video drivers make more of a difference in high end gaming than the OS does, so... you'd be possibly discounting Vista as a viable OS just because some video drivers from ATI or Nvidia aren't up to snuff? Talk about misplaced blame...

What a POS Vista has been lately for me. Random blue screens, and now I have to load up XP just to download this update because at the end of every download, right at the very very end, I get a blue screen. Wtf..

network speeds are amazing!!!!! finially

What exactly do you mean by this? Is it on par with XP or better? Or is it finally fixed that it was supposed to be?

I mean even with all these patches still can't outperform Xp SP2. I wonder how much better XP SP3 is going to be.

This posting was supposed to be here but somehow mysteriously appeared in another completely unrelated one soooo... here goes:

Serious recommendation here folks:

Stop using Windows Update to get SP1 RC1 if you're trying that route. Simply go to the download links I just provided a few posts above this one and grab the big network installer files (the standalone installer). Make a backup of it someplace or stash it safely, back up your system if you can (with True Image or Ghost, whatever, just don't use System Restore), and then go at it.

So many people are hammering Windows Update right now and over this coming weekend trying to get SP1 RC1 that it's causing a bunch of problems.

Get the standalone/network installer using some sort of download manager that will resume a broken download if necessary, stash it, back the box up, and go.

</we_now_return_you_to_the_regularly_scheduled_thread_already_in_progress>

Maybe I'm just showing my age here, but if you are really that concerned about gaming, they make this wonderful devices called consoles, if you really need to focus only on the gaming. My application performance, especially under a load is so much better now with Vista x64 than it was with XP. Call me crazy, but I base my decisions on many things, not just game performance.

Just curious. I didn't look through every post but has anyone experimented with uninstalling it and ensuring there's no problems that come up? I'm a little nervous to try it since way back when XP SP1 (rtm) came out, it completely broke my system and nothing direct X would work. Even after removing it and reverting my system, doing a repair install, it still didn't work and I was forced to do a clean install. I have a few glitches in some pre-Vista programs that I'm really hoping SP1 will address so I'd like to try it. I just want to make sure there doesn't appear to be any widespread problems, and if there are it will be fixable without a clean sweep.

And lol, 10% improvement would be pretty awesome. If you're hardware is actually struggling so much that you need a 10% improvement though, how on earth would you honestly expect Vista help? Upgrade your hardware if you need 10 freakin percent... in DX9. Otherwise, if you see no other reason for Vista, then don't bother. We'll enjoy its awesomeness.
I do find it quite amusing that when Vista came out, the naysayers seemed to be saying they're not touching it until SP1. And now, they're saying they still aren't touching it unless it brings some magical uber performance and stability improvements over XP. (Which by the way, it does. Framerates alone do not begin to tell the whole story).

What a POS Vista has been lately for me. Random blue screens, and now I have to load up XP just to download this update because at the end of every download, right at the very very end, I get a blue screen. Wtf..

Yes and you KNOW it is vista? not some 3rd party driver you installed, or some program, or something else....

If your going to bash Vista, at least provide a reason why instead of just flame baiting.

Did MS actually make Vista able to use hardware sound?

I went to play WoW after installing SP1 and it was all crackly.. like something was interferring. I had been using Creative Alchemy to make WoW be able to use hardware sound in Vista.

So I messed around with it and couldn't get the crackles to go away, so I disabled Alchemy and what do you know... WoW can still use hardware sound.

The only other thing I can think of is that it is because I installed the November DirectX onto Vista... most if not all of the files looked like DX9 stuff.

Yes and you KNOW it is vista? not some 3rd party driver you installed, or some program, or something else....

If your going to bash Vista, at least provide a reason why instead of just flame baiting.

Ok here's my reason:

I can't install any third party drivers as I'm running x64 with all the protections enabled. ;) So what exactly is causing my BSODs, I don't know.

How long did SP1 take for everyone to install? Mines been going for about an hour now, seems like a pretty long time, but it does say it could take over an hour.

I can't install any third party drivers as I'm running x64 with all the protections enabled.
So am I, on three systems, and I haven't found a single driver that won't install. Not that I am calling BS, but I've asked about 5 people who made this comment to post what they couldn't get working, and I have yet to get one response. What wouldn't install for you?

Back