Vista shows 3.25gb or ram, not 4gb

illuminate

[H]ard|Gawd
okay, on saturday i got 2 x 2gb sticks of ddr2. I popped them in, the PC started fine. I checked cpu-z and it shows 4gb of ram. But, vista only shows 3.25 gb of ram.

My question is: Is Vista only *really* seeing 3.25 GB, or just saying that? CPU-Z picks up all 4gb, but Vista isnt. Any ideas on how to fix that?
Also, i know the OS is x32.. is that the reason why?

4gbno-325yes.png

You need a 64-bit OS. You can get an upgrade disc from Microsoft for like $10.

Yeah a 32 bit operating system will only recognize four GB of ram total. So with video card memory and the motherboards onboard memory it leaves the rest to your ram

ah, okay. I had a feeling it had to do with video and motherboard memory. So, if i went with x64 Xp Pro (that's the other OS i have) i should be okay?
It will say that i have 4.00gb ram, and then ____ video memory?

Also have you updated to SP1? With Vista SP1, Vista will report the 4GB of RAM. Though as everyone said, you'll need a 64bit OS in order to actually use all 4GB of RAM.

ah, okay. I had a feeling it had to do with video and motherboard memory. So, if i went with x64 Xp Pro (that's the other OS i have) i should be okay?

I'd spend the $10 to get 64bit media from Microsoft for Vista rather than using XP Pro X64, myself.

Also have you updated to SP1? With Vista SP1, Vista will report the 4GB of RAM. Though as everyone said, you'll need a 64bit OS in order to actually use all 4GB of RAM.

Actually Vista still uses 3.25 or less but Microsoft made a change in the GUI that if you had 4gb and it showed 2gb it'll still show 4gb to avoid the question the OP asked.

Vista 64>>>>>>>>>>XP 64.

He isn't going to notice a difference between that small amount he lost ;)

I don't understand why you're arguing with me. He wanted to know why he can't use all 4 GB, I told him why and what he needs if he wants to use it all.

Back