Vista Permission Issues - Can't rename folder in Program Files x86

I'm running Windows Vista x64 SP1 on my HP CQ60-210US Laptop, and I can't seem to be able to rename a folder no matter what I do. I've enabled the hidden Administrator account, tried to set security and owners, and yet, all I ever get is access denied. I just want to rename a fucking folder, and I'm pissed Vista is giving me issues. I would use XP x64, but HP doesn't have drivers for XP. I'm trying to create and rename folders in Program Files (x86), and I've had no luck. Any programs out there to hack these features out of Vista and give me TRUE FULL CONTROL?

Is Windows 7 this annoying? What do I do? I've spent the last 4 hours searching for a solution.

Please help me; I'm frustrated. I'm an advanced user, and I can't even create a damn folder in Vista. Ugh.... I hate this.

I'm not too familiar with vista, and dont have vista nearby to test.

You can try starting cmd.exe as administrator (right click, press run as administrator, or use the runas command)

then use the ren or rename command to rename folder

I just tried it and just like everything else it elevated my permissions, and changed the folder.

sounds more like a process is locking you out than vista.

What folder is it?

Program Files (x86) is a system folder, if you renamed it a whole bunch of stuff would likely break.

Why would you want to rename it anyways?

Program Files (x86) is a system folder, if you renamed it a whole bunch of stuff would likely break.

Why would you want to rename it anyways?

I think the op meant he wanted to rename a folder within the Program Files (x86) directory. OP what folder are you specifically trying to rename in there or is this the case for all folders within that directory? You can try to take ownership of the folder if you haven't tried that already.

Quake 3 doesn't want to install in x64 with the installer, so I was going to copy the CD over to a folder called Quake 3 in Program Files (x86). Turns out, I can't even create a new folder in Program Files (x86), and I can't even rename it due to a lack of permissions. I tried to take ownership of the entire directory setting my administrators account to the owner, but Vista said my access was denied too when trying to set the default owner.

Would ZoneAlarm Extreme Security lock me out? That's the only thing I can think of...

Quake 3 doesn't want to install in x64 with the installer, so I was going to copy the CD over to a folder called Quake 3 in Program Files (x86). Turns out, I can't even create a new folder in Program Files (x86), and I can't even rename it due to a lack of permissions. I tried to take ownership of the entire directory setting my administrators account to the owner, but Vista said my access was denied too when trying to set the default owner.

Would ZoneAlarm Extreme Security lock me out? That's the only thing I can think of...

Creating folders in Program Files works just fine for me without having to go through all the security crap. So I'm gonna have to say yes, it definitely could be ZA.

Disabled ZoneAlarm, and tried it again. Still no luck. Check out this screenshot:

vista_error.jpg

I'm able to create a new folder in program files x86, even as a standard user, I did have to enter an admin password though. In security, try unchecking "include ineritable permissions from this object's parent" and then taking ownership and adding your user permissions. Might not work if system and trusted installer have 'special permissions' set, you could try removing those for the folder you're trying to rename, I don't suggest trying that on the \program files (x86) folder, it may break your system, I don't know for sure.

Another suggestion...quake 3 uses punkbuster I think, you might need to stop the service/terminate the program to do what you're trying to do.

Last edited:
Tried that; still doesn't work. Here's what the permissions look like. How can I change them so that I have full control over everything? Is that even a possibility. Damn, I just want to be able to create folders and move files...

Here's what my permissions look like:

vista_error2.jpg

Move it out of \Program Files (x86)\ and keep your games installed elsewhere, like C:\\Games\

You're going to run into a lot of permission problems and will have to run many apps not designed for Vista as Admin, unnecessarily, if you keep them there. MS should've left it unprotected, as it causes a huge amount of problems for many applications, although it's not nearly as bad today as it was when Vista was first released.

I'd rather get all these permission requirements out of the way so that I can place a folder and file anywhere on my computer.

How do I make Vista let me in?

I'd rather get all these permission requirements out of the way so that I can place a folder and file anywhere on my computer.

How do I make Vista let me in?

I'm not even sure if you can. IIRC the folder is considered a system folder, and prevents you from messing around with it, just as the \Windows\ directory.

Tried that; still doesn't work. Here's what the permissions look like. How can I change them so that I have full control over everything? Is that even a possibility. Damn, I just want to be able to create folders and move files...

Here's what my permissions look like:

Take ownership, Add your user with full permissions, remove everyone else, maybe, I've never tried it on a system drive, you may hose your install if you do that. You should be able to create and rename directories though, with a uac prompt if necessary, if you can't something is wrong with the system...

Quake 3 doesn't want to install in x64 with the installer,
How? Do you get an error message?

so I was going to copy the CD over to a folder called Quake 3 in Program Files (x86).
You mean you want to copy the game CD to the Program folder? How is that going to solve the problem? You will still need to run the installer.

When I take control, I get Access is Denied, so I never really get the control. I even used the hidden Administrator account, and it still told me Access Denied. UAC was disabled within 2 minutes of installing Vista...

If I can copy the files from Quake 3 onto the hard drive, I can get the game to work. No install is needed, as all the files will be there. You can do this with MOHAA (Medal of Honor Allied Assault). There are registry settings the installations create, but it still works without them.

When I take control, I get Access is Denied, so I never really get the control. I even used the hidden Administrator account, and it still told me Access Denied. UAC was disabled within 2 minutes of installing Vista...

If I can copy the files from Quake 3 onto the hard drive, I can get the game to work. No install is needed, as all the files will be there. You can do this with MOHAA (Medal of Honor Allied Assault). There are registry settings the installations create, but it still works without them.

Try turning UAC back on for a minute or two then.

Following threads like these always make me vomit.
I mean I have the opinion that an OS is supposed to be the slave and the user the master.
With sh*t like this it's the other way around.

What is this security orgy all about ? We don't need a mummy or daddy to tell us what to do anymore.
I am supposed to decide for myself, but Microsoft wouldn't let me ?

If I have NOTHING of any value on my PC, I still am forced to protect my content ?
How much more deluted can you get I wonder ?

I mean, not only at work have I to remember 5 different passwords for every little shitty program.
And some of them change every 4 weeks, so I need to keep a list of all the damn passwors.
This list is put somewhere on my desk for everybody to see (if they want to).

The building I work in is highly secured and the reception area too.
Video cameras everywhere. And the best thing is,that the information on our computer systems are so pathetic in terms of importance.
But a deluted system needs deluted security, doesn't it ?

Are you still wondering for why security is being applied where there is nothing to protect ?

I mean I have the opinion that an OS is supposed to be the slave and the user the master.

What is this security orgy all about ? We don't need a mummy or daddy to tell us what to do anymore.

If I have NOTHING of any value on my PC, I still am forced to protect my content ?

I mean, not only at work have I to remember 5 different passwords for every little shitty program.
And some of them change every 4 weeks, so I need to keep a list of all the damn passwors.

Video cameras everywhere. And the best thing is,that the information on our computer systems are so pathetic in terms of importance.

Are you still wondering for why security is being applied where there is nothing to protect ?

Word. I agree. That's why I want to use XP x64, but alas, the laptop has no drivers....

I will try enabling and disabling UAC on my laptop...

So because you have no personal information on your system, that means no one does? Or that because you have a system at work, which probably is connected to a network, that has none of your personal information on it that no other system on the network has some form of personal or privileged information?

This "orgy" over security is because there are people out there that enjoy breaking into other people's or business's computer and steal information that they can use to their advantage. If they aren't looking for information, then they just want to cause problems by either damaging equipment or severely limiting resources. Your utopia of security-free operating systems died 20 years ago thanks to those people.

Understood dude.

But why am I not beeing given the option ?

That's the whole and only point and I have not been given an answer to this yet.

Understood dude.

But why am I not beeing given the option ?

That's the whole and only point and I have not been given an answer to this.

You do have the option, turn UAC off and don't set a password. Then you never have to worry about security on your own computer.

I have switched off everything you can imagine within Vista (except for the graphical stuff)...
Although my main OS appears to be Windows 7 now, many important datas are still on the Vista hdd.

I remember to have had the very issue the OP described initially.
Sometimes I found a way around but sometimes I was forced to give up.
Surprisingly, a re-start solved a problem once. Makes me think that's not supposed to happen, correct ?

Anyway, I don't trust Vista 100% ... maybe I;m a little paranoid.
Windows 7 seems to instill more trust in me.

I have switched off everything you can imagine within Vista (except for the graphical stuff)...
Although my main OS appears to be Windows 7 now, many important datas are still on the Vista hdd.

I remember to have had the very issue the OP described initially.
Sometimes I found a way around but sometimes I was forced to give up.
Surprisingly, a re-start soved a problem once. Makes me think that's not supposed to be, correct ?

Anyway, I don't trust Vista 100% ... maybe I;m a little paranoid.
Windows 7 seems to instill more trust in me.

Win7 isn't much different from Vista. The same security exists in both. UAC has been tweaked a bit to be less annoying and give administrator level users less headaches. But that's about it.

Because comprimised PCs don't just hurt you, they hurt everyone. They hurt other machines that think your machine is safe and give you access they wouldn't give an anonymous connection. They hurt when botnets pop up and DDoS sites. They hurt when their spare CPU cycles are used to crack stolen passwords. And on and on.

You do have the option, turn UAC off and don't set a password. Then you never have to worry about security on your own computer.

I did that, and it did not work. I still don't have FULL permissions!

As for the rest of you, I know you are helping me feel better about my frustration, but is there anything I can do about it? (back to topic please?)

i believe that the folder he is trying to edit is being used by another program, resulting in it not being edited. Thats the only reason that i can think of why he is getting that message.

maybe a stupid question... what security group is your account in? users, power users, administrators, etc?
the Administrator account is still in the Administrators security group, correct?

i believe that the folder he is trying to edit is being used by another program, resulting in it not being edited. Thats the only reason that i can think of why he is getting that message.

Except he's trying to create a folder, not edit one.

OP, did you try turning on UAC and creating the folder with it on?

Interesting.

By the way, what does a 3rd party firewall do better than the built in one ?

I'm paranoid, but not THAT paranoid, lol.
Anyway, I followed that link, but following the next link resulted in ...

zonealarm187l.jpg

I see in your earlier post you just disabled ZA. ZA and other products such as Norton's line of security software have been known to interfere with normal system operation and just disabling it won't help. Try uninstalling it or simply disabling it from starting up and I'd be willing to bet you'll have full control of your system again.

And regarding the Microsoft & government spying stuff I stopped reading as soon as I saw the slashdot link.

Back