Vista PC Blue Screening

baldyguy

Limp Gawd
I have an Asus P5e-VM HDMI motherboard along with a 150GB Western Digital Raptor (Boot) and a 1TB Western Digital Green Drive.

It currently has Vista on the PC.

History - I had already configured the machine the way I wanted it and I bought the 1TB HD as a data disk. Initally out of the box, I "Quick" formated the hard drive. I took out the hard drive and loaded it into my Windows XP machine so that I can transfer some of my data files onto the new 1TB hard drive to put back into my new Vista machine.

The Vista machine boots up just find with the 150GB hard drive by itself.

When I plug the 1TB hard drive it gets to the Visa loading screen and blue screens, and then quickly reboots.

I don't understand how it could have worked before in my Vista machine and then after when I transferred data files on it (from XP machine), then install the drive back, it blue screens.

I currently have the 150GB on SATA 1 and the 1TB on SATA 3. I've also tried to load it on SATA2 port as well.

The Bios detects everything as it should. I know the 1TB works because it worked fine in my XP machine.

I have the SATA Configuration as [EHANCED] and Configure SATA as [IDE]. These are the default settings.

Any ideas?

Hot plug the drive after windows has loaded and run some tests on it.
Hot plugging is part of the SATA spec and works as long as you use the SATA power cable.
It would be good to know what Danny Bui asked as well.

Hot plugging?

So basically let Vista load, then take the power plug (for SATA) and the data cable and plug them right in?

That's interesting, I've never heard that you could do that...

Hot plug the drive after windows has loaded and run some tests on it.
Hot plugging is part of the SATA spec and works as long as you use the SATA power cable.
It would be good to know what Danny Bui asked as well.

Hot plugging?

So basically let Vista load, then take the power plug (for SATA) and the data cable and plug them right in?

That's interesting, I've never heard that you could do that...

Yep exactly, I've done it a number of times with troublesome hard drives and recovered data.

It worked.

What is was is that once I plugged in the hard drive it was showing as a drive failed which I know for a fact that it hasn't failed.

I went into Device manager and rescan, it found the hard drive, then went into the Computer Disk Management and then reactivated disk and worked like a charm!

Thanks for the suggestion!

Yep exactly, I've done it a number of times with troublesome hard drives and recovered data.

Back