Vista No Tech Support for OEM Version?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ServerKing

[H]ard|Gawd
So whats the deal with Vista having bought a retail copy OEM of home premium and there page stating 90 days free tech support, but still want to charge me 60.00 because my computer isnt a Dell or HP machine (OEM)? Considering I paid for there OS and they wont even support me? No reason, why people dislike MS so much...

OEM disks are meant to be sold to system builders. As part of the EULA, the system builder assumes responsibility for support. Since, in this case, you are the system builder, you are responsible for your own support.

All Vistas have 90 day support.

OEMs are designed for the company (such as Dell) to work out their own support options, which is why OEM is cheaper (MS not spending money for support... Dell does). Just a downside of using OEM.

My question is, outside of a large IT environment, why would anyone ever call Microsoft for support when Google and the MSKB can answer the majority of questions for free?

That's pretty much how it works for OEM licenses, and it's a reason why most people on here state that you should know what you're getting into with buying an OEM license. Typically, it was meant to be a lower cost to the OEMs themselves, in exchange for them handling support. I'm sure MS has the option of not selling OEM copies without it coming on a system, but then many people would say the same "Microsoft sucks and no one likes them) comments. I could disgress, but let's just say Microsoft is in situations where they are damned if they do, or damned by the other half of people if they don't.

Anyway, the likelihood you would need to contact Microsoft (aside from activation) on a single computer is next to nil. Whatever problem you are having, post it here, and I'm sure someone here will have a fix.

My question is, outside of a large IT environment, why would anyone ever call Microsoft for support when Google and the MSKB can answer the majority of questions for free?

Yep, and if you use Google to search the MSKB, it will be even a better experience.

But you have to consider considering I actually paid for the OS unlike most of the people with the hacks/cracks for it. Why does OEM matter when all I had was a general question about dynamic disk issue? Try googling that and it took me a while to find out its not supported by home premium which is stupid considering it is a premium version of the OS and XP supported it just fine. I dont like the fact that I cant even use the 90 days, its like whats the point of having that especially for people who build there comps who want to save money, know what they are doing, etc.... I just think its just a rip off no support for the software I bought and paid for.

The difference is price.

Vista Home Premium OEM $112
Vista Home Premium Upgrade $150
Vista Home Premium Full Retail $220

Each version comes with it's own set of perks, you chose the economy model without the frills. You weren't ripped off

I've personally never called Microsoft for a home support issue. I have called them once for a corporate issue though and they were really helpful...but it wasn't free either.

I just think its just a rip off no support for the software I bought and paid for

sorry its not. as its been said in this thread already...when you use an OEM copy, you're supposed to go to your computer maker for support. since you have no computer maker, you get no support. all computer makers have tech support that deal with windows, otherwise they'd be pretty bored if they were just servicing hardware calls. i'm fairly sure its a fact that a majority of users call up their computer maker's tech support for windows related issues because the maker knows the configuration of the machine and can better serve them. if you expect MS to know every single configuration out there, you must be dreaming.

as for the question you wanted to call up MS for, you could have asked about it here, or googled it, or used the MSKB which has a ton of shit.

searching for "dynamic disk vista" on google:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Windo...1135-430b-93c2-bad44d22c1691033.mspx?mfr=true
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/4605a967-060a-490e-808b-f20438f621ce1033.mspx
http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/it/2007/04/19/basic-and-dynamic-disks-in-vista-part-ii/
^^ this link will prolly give you your answer
Vista supports both basic and dynamic disks (as does Windows 2000 and XP). You can use the Disk Management console to convert a basic disk to dynamic. Before you attempt to make the conversion, you need to keep the following points in mind:

You cannot revert to a basic disk without first deleting all partitions and volumes.
Vista Home editions do not support dynamic disks.
Portable computer do not support dynamic disks.

mind you these were results from the first search page...google ftw

I did it when I had a problem with their OneCare firewall in Vista. the support was included with my OneCare license, and the dude solved my problem quickly. Even followed up to verify the next day.

It's not always horror stories or mission critical problems, and their products like OneCare have some kickass support (better than most other A/V + firewall companies out there combined).

However, I agree that hitting the MSKB (first) and Google (second) are the way to go for many issues. There's just so much information available right there instantly, and learning the trick of boolean searches gets you precise results within the first one or two tries.

Oh, and here's to buying OEM licenses FTL and expecting retail version support. :p

... its like whats the point of having that especially for people who build there comps who want to save money, know what they are doing, etc.... I just think its just a rip off no support for the software I bought and paid for.
Stop trying to blame others for your own failings.

Yes, you paid. But it was your choice to keep costs down by purchasing OEM, and if you didn't check the conditions attached to your purchase then that's your fault. Retail package/license comes with MS support and costs more. OEM package/license comes with system builder support rather than MS support, and costs less.

Guess what? YOU are the system builder! YOU are the person who is supposed to be providing the support for that system and Windows installation! That's what you agreed to.

Guess what else? You DON'T know what you're doing! If you knew what you are doing then you would be providing the support you agreed to provide, and you wouldn't be here crying about how it's somebody else's fault and you've been ripped off.

This topic is dopey!

What a child he is, thinking that paying less for the OEM over those that paid more at retail for full support, he is entitled for full support. If you want full support buddy, get the full retail Vista and live with it.

I have only used ME, XP and now Vista 32 bit and 64 bit OS, and never once have I had the need to call Microsoft. Not once. Boy, if you cannot learn a system with all the information and books out their at the ready, not to mentioned Google Search, than you should give back your deploma. What a baby he is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back