Vista loads when xp setup should continue

I've been trying to get xp installed on a second partition from a pre-existing vista installation. It's installed on an lenovo X61s with no cd/dvd-rom drive. I do not have access to a cd/dvd drive via usb or docking bay, and want to get this working without if i can. I do have a usb floppy i bought a year back, and have had limited success.

I have already shrunk the vista partition, giving myself 8gb free space. i created an 8gb fat32 partition, and copied a legit version of xp onto it. used a floppy disc to get dos access... and in turn ran the winnt install from the i386 directory.

It runs through the whole dos portion, then says to remove the floppy if one is in the drive, and press enter. i do so, & it reboots to the loading vista screen... i've tried a few other copies of xp i have that aern't legit, and same results - it just doesn't touch on the gui portion of the xp install & simply loads vista

anybody have any idea what i might be missing? I've been searching all over google, but nothing i type in seems to bring back any good results

It was always my understanding that you have to install XP and THEN Vista.

Though I could be wrong.

Install XP, then Vista, Vista bootloader will work with XP, XP's wont work with Vista.

(um, why not use VMWare instead of doing a whole dual boot setup?)

If you are setting up a dual boot system, you'll want to be installing XP first. However, given this is a laptop with an optical drive, and it already has Vista loaded, you should be putting XP in a VM instead. You can do the install from an .iso image, and it will run very well.

maddude0025; nop, you can install vista then xp

dbwillis; to install xp... i would somehow have to clear the partition where vista is installed now... and run the install... and install xp... too much thinking... just missing something.. a coworker tried running this software i want to run under xp.. with vmware and it didn't work for him.. now he doesn't know nearly as much as i do (took him a week to figure out he had to get sata drivers for his laptop to install vista) - but i would rather have the real thing seperated because i use an aircard for work.. and i'm only allocated 7mb... if vista decides to download a patch... then i'll get a $400 bill from my work for a 25mb vista patch :(

ZoSo; that sounds promising, will post update soon

DeaconFrost; laptop without optical drive; i may try vmware... but my coworker was telling me something about the driver for the wwan card not working in vmware :confused:

Solve all your problems by running the drives independently of each other.
To do this you need to change the boot drive in the CMOS, thats it :)

So whichever drive you want to install to, set that as the boot drive first, boot the XP install CD and all the system files will be written to the XP drive, nothing will be written to the Vista drive.
Job done.

You dont install the wwan card in vmware, it bridges the connection from the VM machine to your NIC

Back