Vista is going SLOW SLOW SLOW!

mobusta1

2[H]4U
This is the second time i've used vista and this time there is no way out of it. I bought a new laptop HP DV5 with vista ultimate x64 (2.4 ghz/ 4gigs ram/ nvidia 9600M GT), I had it installed on my sig rig desktop before and had the same problems I am having now so I just installed xp x64 (on the desktop) and everything ran like butter (I seriously LOVE that OS). Why can't Laptop vendors just support it (and before 90% of you jump down my neck saying vista is better than xp I really want to believe you but this is TWICE i've ran into the same problem on TOTALYL different hardware)!?

Anyways enough complaining, here are my problems:

Everything and I mean EVERYTHING is sluggish (and yes I have DLed all the proper Drivers and such from the HP website including the chipset drivers). It takes forever for windows to get to the point of usablity from start up. My HD light is almost always on, its on right now as I'm typing this up. There is always SOMETHING accessing the drive, and before you ask, no it isn't the index, I've been running this install of vista for about 2 weeks now so the inital tuning is done. If the HD light isn't on full blast it will be on intermititly. There has never been a single time that I've seen the HD light NOT on. I also did a benchtest on the HD and this is what I got:

5yyhzc.jpg

33nkjfc.jpg

The drive is the new hitachi 5400rpm 500GB that is being offered at newegg.

I am constantly getting hang up, sometimes random programs like IE will stop responding so I will have to go into the control panel and manually shut it down. I'm positive that is all somewhere related to the drive being so slow, and I'm sure its vista thats doing it because I had the same problem on my desktop when I had installed vista but those problems vanished when XP was installed (So I don't think I have a bad drive).

Another problem is with azureus, when I am dling a file the speed is going all over the place 500 KB/S- 2.3 KB/S. I have a 16 Mbit connection and on any computer with XP I always DL at a CONSTANT 1.9-2.0 MB/s. But vista isn't letting me do that.

This is pretty frustrating when you pay 1300 bucks for a piece of equipment that doesn't even work the way you want it too. Anyone have an suggestions?

Need to know more about your system. I've had issues with Vuze (formerly Azureus). Have you tried uTorrent? If you are getting the same problem with uTorrent, then we can try something else. Also, what AV are you running? Some are known to hang systems. Could you also give me a list of drivers you installed and for what device. Some HP drivers have bloat in them, meaning they install unnecessary "crap". If you've had the same issue on both installs of Vista, I am thinking that it is an issue with either the drivers, the Vista DVD you got (install DVDs can be bad), or highly unlikely but still possible...hardware failure.

As for Insulin24, your advice is worth as much as.......nothing.

I'd try uTorrent, it works far better in Vista for me.
Since you've had issues with both installs of Vista I'm thinking it has to be a driver problem or a hardware problem (as metril said, unlikely but still possible).
-Can you give us a list of drivers and devices?
-What AV, antispyware, firewall etc?

@metril- he's been doing that in every single post I've seen of him so far today.
@Insulin24- I'm going to report your thread crapping in a bit here, so start saying something worthwhile to the issue at hand.

mobusta1, few things ... some advice, and some tweaking tips.

Newer drivers don't always fix problems. I've bench marked my system with the barebones stock oem vista drivers vs the motherboard downloaded drivers and there is a decrease in performance with the downloaded ones. Sames goes for raid/sata/sound drivers. Word of advice to anyone having Vista problems. Install the OS, look to see what did not install (usually just graphics card), install those that did not, then leave everything else alone driver wise. Unless you have stability issues, leave it alone.

Secondly, the 'accessing the hard disk' is called Superfetch. It caches files into ram so that programs load from ram, rather than the hard drive. Yes, on laptop drives it can cause some serious slowdowns because the hard drives are slow. The system in your sig will have the same thing happen (cacheing), it just won't hurt the system. I have the same cpu/hdd as the system in your sig and Vista is amazing, the cacheing never slows it down.

Yes, those benchmarks are shitty because Superfetch is reading from the drive. You can either go into Services and disable it, which would just make applications load time slower but you're having issues with it being on all the time, so you can try it. I would also suggest checking out this site which shows how to make registry setting changes to change how Superfetch works. The default is 3, so I suggest trying 2. http://www.pcauthorities.com/windows-vista/control-superfetch-in-windows-vista.

Finally, go into Windows Defender and disable Dynamic Scanning, but leave "Use Defender" checked. Then go back to Tools and click on Software Explorer. Click on the startup tab and disable all the junk that loads. I'm sure some of your issue is all the stupid shit HP puts on their systems. That's why I just delete the OS and use the regular OS disc and no have all the junk.

Have you reformatted the computer since purchasing the new computer?

Of course

Need to know more about your system. I've had issues with Vuze (formerly Azureus). Have you tried uTorrent? If you are getting the same problem with uTorrent, then we can try something else. Also, what AV are you running? Some are known to hang systems. Could you also give me a list of drivers you installed and for what device. Some HP drivers have bloat in them, meaning they install unnecessary "crap". If you've had the same issue on both installs of Vista, I am thinking that it is an issue with either the drivers, the Vista DVD you got (install DVDs can be bad), or highly unlikely but still possible...hardware failure.

As for Insulin24, your advice is worth as much as.......nothing.

I'd try uTorrent, it works far better in Vista for me.
Since you've had issues with both installs of Vista I'm thinking it has to be a driver problem or a hardware problem (as metril said, unlikely but still possible).
-Can you give us a list of drivers and devices?
-What AV, antispyware, firewall etc?

@metril- he's been doing that in every single post I've seen of him so far today.
@Insulin24- I'm going to report your thread crapping in a bit here, so start saying something worthwhile to the issue at hand.

This is the system

HP Pavilion dv5t Entertainment Notebook
- Onyx
- Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
- Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor P8600 (2.4 GHz)
- 15.4" diagonal WSXGA+ High-Definition HP BrightView Infinity Display (1680 x 1050)
- 1GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
- 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
- 160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
- [For BrightView Infinity Display] Webcam + Fingerprint Reader
- HP Color Matching Keyboard
- Broadcom Wireless LAN
- No Modem
- SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
- No TV Tuner w/remote control
- 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
- Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
- System Recovery DVD with Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit)
- HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

I upgraded the HD and ram as I mentioned before. These are the drivers I installed:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2100&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3744198

I installed all the drivers that pertained to that model and make, including all the HP quicktouch software/drivers.

Also just to make it clear to you guys I installed Vista on my both my laptop AND desktop, not 2 installs on the same system but 2 different installs on 2 totally different systems and had the SAME problem.

And about azurues, when I did a fresh install of vista it would work fine, but after a few days is when it started crapping on me, and I need to use azurues because theres a couple of very important plugins I use that no other BT client offers.

I was using kaspersky and windows firewall but I have now, for a couple of days, stopped them to see if they were the issue.

I should also mention that unrarring files takes an insane amount of time to do. I tried to unrar a couple of big files and the time it said would be around 10 hours to complete... that is just ridiculous. My desktop (yes I know it is more powerfull) unrars large files in seconds.

Did you use the same installation DVD for both? Try a different installation DVD. Do not install the HP software. Get the drivers for your devices from the manufacturer websites. Try this and report back.

Did you use the same installation DVD for both? Try a different installation DVD. Do not install the HP software. Get the drivers for your devices from the manufacturer websites. Try this and report back.

Yes, same DVD.

I can't get most of the drivers from anywhere else. For examply my video card (9600M GT) can't even be found on nvidia's driver support page.

Try using a different DVD to install and DO NOT install any drivers except the ones required to make it work. Most everything (except the video) should work with Vista's drivers. You have to get the video driver from either hp.com or laptopvideo2go.com.
Try to avoid installing any HP software you don't need.

Try using a different DVD to install and DO NOT install any drivers except the ones required to make it work. Most everything (except the video) should work with Vista's drivers. You have to get the video driver from either hp.com or laptopvideo2go.com.

Are you running AVG by any chance? When I used it on my Vista install (still have it on my XP machines), my system was choppy and sluggish like you describe. I switched to Avast and fixed that right up. Mine is still slow to boot, but stupid fast once going. I could probably tweak it, but my speed fixation will eventually cause a heart attack.

Alright I'll give that a try. Could you please be a little more specific as to which drivers exactly I should install (Chipset? GPU? etc).

Are you running AVG by any chance? When I used it on my Vista install (still have it on my XP machines), my system was choppy and sluggish like you describe. I switched to Avast and fixed that right up. Mine is still slow to boot, but stupid fast once going. I could probably tweak it, but my speed fixation will eventually cause a heart attack.

I was running kaspersky, but I've disabled it for a few days.

Alright I'll give that a try. Could you please be a little more specific as to which drivers exactly I should install (Chipset? GPU? etc).
Install Vista. Go to device manager and look to see what is not installed. Right click and update driver, check automatically, check online. Your drivers should be found that way. Only update the thing that are not installed, nothing else.

Also, look into that Superfetch tweaking stuff or disable it.

Try turning off system restore(you will lose all restore points). Reboot if that takes care of the problem then turn system restore back on and create a restore point.

Turn off Anti-virus...

I haven't run a single anti-virus program since I started using computers, and the only "virus" I ever got was the blaster worm... which I believe wasn't really preventable unless you kept up with windows updates. It just shut down the RPC locator service which made windows shutdown/restart within 60 seconds... defeated by changing the clock time, but I managed to run the patch within 60 seconds after booting to fix it.

Regardless, they're slow POS programs that offer nothing but a false sense of security, I work at a computer repair store and half of the computers that come in with virus/spyware had some sort of protection but it still didn't prevent anything because it's user error 99% of the time. Clicking on a bad website and downloading bad programs etc.

I use to only use an antivirus to keep my computer safe from when my gf/roomates would use my computer. now I just password protect UAC and don't use an antivirus. works great :)

Turn off Anti-virus...

I haven't run a single anti-virus program since I started using computers, and the only "virus" I ever got was the blaster worm... which I believe wasn't really preventable unless you kept up with windows updates. .

It was actually wicked easy to keep away from. Just keep your computer behind a NAT router. Any/all Blaster infections I cleaned way back then...they were PCs that were directly plugged into a broadband modem..on a public IP address.

Plenty of lightweight antivirus programs which do NOT bog down the computer....I have NOD32 on all mine...including Vista rigs, and it runs fine.

For a free antivirus, AntiVis is very light.

The amount of legit trusted good websites that are getting hijacked by trojans is on the rise....including forums. One morning you make your rounds to your usual forums...and blammo....PC picks up a drive by. ;)

IMO his performace issue is based on the 5400rpm drive.

No offense to any of you guys but do you guys actually read the first post? Or do you just mainly read the thread title and start posting possible solutions based on that?

I mentioned several times that I had turned my AV off a while ago.

No offense to any of you guys but do you guys actually read the first post? Or do you just mainly read the thread title and start posting possible solutions based on that?

Yes...hence, ending my first post with "IMO it's the 5400rpm drive".

I wouldn't wish Vista on a 5,400rpm drive on my second ex wife.

Yes...hence, ending my first post with "IMO it's the 5400rpm drive".

I wouldn't wish Vista on a 5,400rpm drive on my second ex wife.
I don't think it's a coincidence that Vista doesn't run well on many laptops. I did use it on the laptop of one of the administrators where I work and it was really quick on that though :confused: Boot up, installing SP1, everything, went pretty quick

I have Vista x68 32bit on my macbook pro, and its a 5400rpm hitatich drive, and its wicked fast. Its not the 5400rpm....

Do what was said before, reinstall vista using a diffrent disk, and DO NOT install any drivers except for missing ones, and graphics/gpu driver. Superfetch is really good but it sounds like for whatever reason it may not be liking your configration.

I'd say either that HP came with some really nasty bloatware far worse then Wild Tangent, or that HDD is defective and is slowing down the whole pc.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Vista doesn't run well on many laptops. I did use it on the laptop of one of the administrators where I work and it was really quick on that though :confused: Boot up, installing SP1, everything, went pretty quick

Yeah many mid-ranged laptops have the 5400rpm drives...with cheaper models as well as ultra portables running on the excruciatingly slow 4200rpm drives. I worked on a clients laptop that had a 4200rpm with Vista..ugh...wow, had time to brew coffee in between stuff.

Another laptop we keep at the office had a 5400rpm...cloned that to a replacement 7200rpm drive...Vista sprang to life nicely.

Back then I did my last install of Vista to my main laptop...I was cautious which drivers to from IBM/Lenovo...I did the basic system drivers, LAN, audio, and of course graphics. It did run substantially better once the system/chipset drivers were installed..but I can see some laptop vendors having crummy drivers. IMO, latest drivers from the vendor historically have "usually" been better than the native Windows drivers...but I've seen some cases where they aren't.

One driver that I've found REALLY helps performance whenever I've installed it...is the Intel Turbo Memory driver
http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/itm/
As long as you have the Intel SATA chipsets it supports.

kiss my rear end........i have vista installed on a Vostro 1400 and it isn't slow even with a 5400 rpm hdd, so please try again....lawl

You said "1gb + Vista = BAD". He clearly stated in his first post he upgraded the RAM, so again, learn how to read...

You can get the specific drivers you need from HP website if you use the service tag number on the bottom of the laptop. XP 64bit is faster than Vista 64bit and you can use the Vista64 drivers for XP64. Vista is supposed to speed up eventually after it optimizes itself but I didn't like Vista enough to keep it on my HD for more than 2 days.

You did say it ran fine at first but after a few days it started slowing down. So that leads me to believe that it's an app you are using or spyware of some sort.

Also the 5400rpm drive is quite slow. It is very noticeable when I have to use one.

I'm on Vista x64 now and while I have more ram you have a faster CPU I believe and for me Vista is very very fast.

Back