Vista: How many CPUs?

brom42

2[H]4U
I was reading some articles about quad core processors coming out next year, and that got me thinking. Does anyone know how many processors/cores Vista will support and does this differ between the different versions of Vista?

I'd love to get my hands on a quad core Opteron (or even just ;) a dual, dual core system) next year, but if Vista is only going to support 2 CPUs/cores then I want my hopes killed soon.

Vista will have 32 and 64 bit flavors so you can have more than 2 physicals supported. Vista will also use a system wherein the cd key or code used determines what version of vista you will be able to use meaning all versions are the same no matter what just what your code unlocks for you to use. THink of it as having XP installed only changing your cd key auto upgrades it to xp pro from home or xp pro to server etc etc. No new installs. Vista actually isn't that bad been playing with it at work since we have msdn subs. My biggest concern with vista is the amount of requirements it will place on hardware (ram and space) this is going to be a problem for people with budget machines if they do want to upgrade. Most should be fine though as it should come with your new pc but I would not be caught dead without 1 gig of ram running vista even on an emachine :).

512mb just to run the dam thing no joke! I have XP pro on an old p3 here at work and it has 128mb of ram which is unacceptable it barely runs and upgrading to 256 woudln't help enough you need a good 512mb to run xp ok and 1 gig for smooth.

Humble_Magii said:
Vista will have 32 and 64 bit flavors so you can have more than 2 physicals supported. Vista will also use a system wherein the cd key or code used determines what version of vista you will be able to use meaning all versions are the same no matter what just what your code unlocks for you to use. THink of it as having XP installed only changing your cd key auto upgrades it to xp pro from home or xp pro to server etc etc. No new installs. Vista actually isn't that bad been playing with it at work since we have msdn subs. My biggest concern with vista is the amount of requirements it will place on hardware (ram and space) this is going to be a problem for people with budget machines if they do want to upgrade. Most should be fine though as it should come with your new pc but I would not be caught dead without 1 gig of ram running vista even on an emachine :).

512mb just to run the dam thing no joke! I have XP pro on an old p3 here at work and it has 128mb of ram which is unacceptable it barely runs and upgrading to 256 woudln't help enough you need a good 512mb to run xp ok and 1 gig for smooth.

I know that at work I am going to be running XP for atleast a couple more years. At home i don't think I'll have any problems and plan on getting Vista right away when it comes out. I currently have a 4400+ X2 and 2gigs of ram and plan on upgrading to one of the new sockets, with 2 gigs of ram being the minimum that I will be putting in it. I just need to start thinking if I want to go to AM2 or socket F.

The 512mb to 1gig comments are purely my opinion on best running but I use alot of windows and have 2-10 lcd's hooked up to these machines at a time :). Lots of multitasking.

Anyhoo yea I might try vista quickly or I will wait for it's first service pack like I did with XP. I might go 64 this time around have to see if the manufacturers and whatnot ship 64 out in the cheapo pc's or not.

Vista is a nice OS but again sometimes it would be nice to install minimal components like you can with Linux say on an older machine :).

Back