vista and network.......problems.

i am trying to help someone that just bought a new lappy with home premium. we are having issues connecting to network drives on the uni network when using the uni's network. when we try it in a home network it can see and connect to network drives on the home network. is vist home premium limited some how? i have tried everything that would work under xp pro to connect to the drives on the uni network but vista keeps telling me that my name/password are incorrect. btw, we need to input our username/password when trying to connect to these uni network drives. i am hoping that it is a simple problem because vista does not tell me that it can not connect to the drives but does prompt me for my credentials.....except it tells me they are incorrect.

help :confused:

I have no clue how the university's network is setup, but if for some reason you have to join a domain to get access, then you are SOL. As I said, I have no clue about this and to me it would seem somewhat stupid to have it setup that way but it could be.

I've seen some funky problems with Vistas networking in comparison to XP. I had my sister's laptop at my place doing some work on it one time and it has Vista Home Basic on it. I didn't actually have much trouble getting it connected to my home network through wireless or wired but transfer rates were complete shit. It could have been some type of configuration error on my part so I don't worry about it so much as I have a Vista32 partition and I have no trouble with network speeds with it.

However, a couple of days later she was no longer able to share the net connection with the computer at my parents' house although it worked fine after I was done with her system on my network and she was also no longer able to connect to the network at her job or a WAP at a hotel conference. I had to talk her through some settings by memory (pain in the ass when you've only used Vista a couple of times) over the phone to get it to work. Sometimes, it seems Vista may have some trouble in certain situations with auto detecting the correct settings for a network. What seemed to screw it up in this case was that I have DHCP disable on my network at home. For some reason, that affected the other network connection settings she had previously stored. But only after a couple of days of working.

I don't know if this helps you at all, but it may spawn another idea from yourself or someone else.

worked on it again today and still no luck. our IT department is reluctant to help because the uni does not support vista.

in XP i have the option of either joining the domain or not at all but either way i am still able to access the network drives.

vista........:mad:

it just came to mind that the network drives are hooked up to a mac running 10.4.

what is the diff between vista home premium and the other non-home vista's

what is the diff between vista home premium and the other non-home vista's

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_02.asp has a rather comprehensive guide comparing the various Vista editions. Specifically, Home Premium (or lower) editions do not allow a machine to join a domain. However, it sounds like you're not trying to join a domain but rather just connect to a networked share...which theoretically should be fine...what are the instructions they give for accessing the network folders in XP?

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_02.asp has a rather comprehensive guide comparing the various Vista editions. Specifically, Home Premium (or lower) editions do not allow a machine to join a domain. However, it sounds like you're not trying to join a domain but rather just connect to a networked share...which theoretically should be fine...what are the instructions they give for accessing the network folders in XP?

in xp i simply type in the run cmd "\\deparment.uni.org" and the next window to pop up will ask for my user name and pass. after doing so, i can see my personal folder and public folders. in vista i get as far as the login window but it tells me that my name/pass are incorrect. :(

just did a few google searches and i think the reason why i am having issues is because i AM trying to login into a domain :(

damn, maybe i can convince the person to reformat and install XP :D

It should come up and ask you for permissions to access those shares on that server.

Try running just \\department

when putting in your user name and password, have you tried putting the domain name in with your user name?

for example, domain_name\user_name

... home premium...

Surprised nobody has mentioned it, but that right there is the problem. 'Home' versions don't allow domain join., Not in Vista, not in XP.

That'd be a big part of the reason USB thumb drives are so commonly found around universities, I guess. Transferring files and such ;)

Surprised nobody has mentioned it, but that right there is the problem. 'Home' versions don't allow domain join., Not in Vista, not in XP.

Actually, if you look for a post that is just a little bit more than 24 hours older than yours you will see something mentioned about it. :p

Back