Vista and 6800GT = Crazy Slow?

friedmud

n00b
Something is just wrong right? It can't possibly be that my A64 3500+ and 6800GT don't have enough muscle to render Vista with compositing... RIGHT!?!? :confused:

But that's what's happening. It is _crazy_ slow... so slow that after a while a warning pops up and allows me to disable compositing.... which I do because without doing that it is totally useless.

Please tell me someone else out there is running Vista on a similar setup and compositing is working fine.... otherwise I'm going to deem this Vista Beta a steaming pile o' crap.

For comparison I can run a full KDE desktop with all the compositing/transparency turned on in Linux just fine... runs as smooth as my wife's ass. I would expect the same (or better!) out of Microsoft!

Hoping it's just me,
Friedmud

friedmud said:
otherwise I'm going to deem this Vista Beta a steaming pile o' crap.

OMG!!! A beta with bugs!!! FUCK MICROSOFT!!!!!!!!!!! How dare they release this!!!! :mad: :mad:

Seriously dude, you've got to expect some problems. You're running a beta OS with beta video drivers.

pigster said:
Seriously dude, you've got to expect some problems. You're running a beta OS with beta video drivers.
Oh, so thus one should ignore the problems and not report on them?

Tell me again what the purpose of betas is? I thought it was more or less try to figure out all the problems. If Vista came out behaving like this, what would happen?

Report every instance, or else they will never shake out all of the bugs. Remember you are an unpaid tester for Microsoft....they give you the Beta and you get what you pay for :D

unhappy_mage said:
Oh, so thus one should ignore the problems and not report on them?

No, of course not.

But deciding that Vista is a steaming pile of crap based on one installation isn't really very useful either.

Seems to me that people have unrealistic expectations of beta software.

Read what I said again... I was NOT saying that Vista was a pile of crap... I was saying that this Vista _Beta_ might be a pile.... YOU'RE the one that jumped to conclusions!

I definitely knew what I was getting into with the Beta... I mean as I said I run Linux (and Gentoo Linux at that) and the way I have that OS setup it is ALWAYS in a constant state of Beta ;-) So I'm no stranger to Beta land!

Not only that but I wasn't claiming that the Vista Beta _was_ a pile... only that with the way it was currently running on my system it might be... I wanted someone to tell me that it was just something I had done... and that it should work fine on that hardware....

Anyway... back to the topic at hand.

It turns out that it _was_ something I was doing... specifically it was that I was using Multiple Monitors. It appears that when extending your desktop to two monitors the Nvidia drivers give up on trying to accelerate your desktop! After disabling the second monitor everything is running well.

It is still a bit slow... but I think that's because of the way the Beta is compiled (with all debug info builtin and not-optimized). For instance there is some noticable lag as I type this in Firefox (not much... just a millisecond or so... but it doesn't feel "crisp"... definitely something that will be fixed before release).

So this comes down to (what I believe is) immature drivers... no biggie. Nvidia should get that fixed up in time for release.

Overall I think Vista is ok. I was really hoping for more I guess. The little changes are nice (if a bit hard to get used to). For instance the explorer changes are welcome... but I find myself reaching for buttons that aren't there :D I'll figure it out eventually.

Anyway thanks for reading,
Friedmud

friedmud said:
Read what I said again... I was NOT saying that Vista was a pile of crap... I was saying that this Vista _Beta_ might be a pile.... YOU'RE the one that jumped to conclusions!

Well, since this beta is the only known Vista at this point... :D

Anyways, no offence intended, glad to see you worked things out..

unhappy_mage said:
If Vista came out behaving like this, what would happen?
It would be like any other Windows OS launch... (I'm sorry, I just had to...)

Personally I highly doubt this person actually qualifies for the public beta based on the text stating who the beta was recommended for.

One thing...

Even though things are running a _lot_ smoother... when I first start to drag a window there is a studder and my CPU meter pegs itself to 100... just for maybe half a second or so.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Friedmud

Asus... I don't know about that...

I have a Computer Science bachelors and am currently attending Grad school for a Masters in Computational Applied Mathematics. I also work at a high profile research institution writing high performance mechanical/flow simulation code for a variety of platforms (Unix, Linux, and now Windows).

It's part of my job to make sure I know about upcoming developments in computer technology... including operating systems.

This was a "customer preview program"... I definitely think I fall in that category.

But thanks for playing along....

Friedmud

friedmud said:
One thing...

Even though things are running a _lot_ smoother... when I first start to drag a window there is a studder and my CPU meter pegs itself to 100... just for maybe half a second or so.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Friedmud

I don't get stutter while dragging windows, but I do if I scroll down a webpage quickly. I also noticed cpu spikes while the slide show was running in the sidebar, after I disabled that, indexing and formating things seem to be ok now.

Hmmm... I tried both Firefox and IE... and don't have any stutter while scrolling... it is actually really smooth in both.

Still having the stutter when I start dragging other things though... it also does the stutter when I start dragging icons... weird.

Friedmud

I tried both firefox and IE7 as well. It actually doesn't stutter a ton, just once in a while but it uses about 70%+ of the CPU when I do it constantly. Wonder if it's a debug thing or something.

The CPU is the weak link in my system though, running a laptop with a PM 2.0 GHZ, 2GB DDR2 and an overclocked Geforce GO 7800 GTX.

I have vista running and a 6800GT. Whenever I try to install the nvidia drivers it tells me i'm not running vista. So I can't get it to work. Not sure what that's all about.

Where do I go about reporting bugs to microsoft?

nvida has beta drivers avail for vista thats whay i installed i have a 6800LE on a old 1.3ghz athlon running fairly smooth. think the 512ram is hurting the machine though. it ranks `a 1 on the vista meter lol

Beta Programs are buggy - Expect Issues

Beta Drivers are horrible - Expect Problems

Beta Operating Systems - Expect Death

Combine all 3 and BOOOM! Your Computer will blow up.

However, Vista Beta 2 is running fine on this Conroe ES @ 2.93 / 1066 - Bad Axe 975 - 4x 1GB DDR2 800 4-4-4-12, GeForce 7900 GTX - Dual Raptor 150s <3 Shhhh

which drivers for nvidia 7000+ series cards is everyone running?

I keep seeing confilcting opinions that the beta nvidia ones are the best?

Actually I have a 6800GT (256) and a 3500+. I'm having the same problems. And forget about playing any games (at least BF2 or GTA:SA). BF2 runs like complete ass, jerking every second, and GTA gets to the main menu but I can only hear it when I move my mouse around. Anyone else?

mpsmith said:
Actually I have a 6800GT (256) and a 3500+. I'm having the same problems. And forget about playing any games (at least BF2 or GTA:SA). BF2 runs like complete ass, jerking every second, and GTA gets to the main menu but I can only hear it when I move my mouse around. Anyone else?

When I first tried to play games (CS:S) it ran really poorly, but I had a few things going at the time including playing MP3's through Media Player. After I shut everything except MSN Live down it ran quite well.

I was going to see if Media Player was the culprit so I loaded up Foobar2k which I normally use in XP, however it doesn't run in Vista very easily. I'll give Winamp a shot later tonight, hopefully it works because I always play music and games at the same time.

ooo Vista is a beta that must be the explanation
I tried Vista, the Aero really dragged my system down with a 6600 (disabled it and dont see any difference from XP)

BUT here is the killer, Xgl is beta as well and is is soo smooth with my 6600, there are reports that it is also smooth with a GF4

I have said it once I guess I will say it again, MS have added bloat to this new OS and there is no reason what they are trying to do cannot be done on lower-speced hardware
in fact it is being done

Anyone know of any alternate / fixed drivers for Vista when using dualmonitor setup?

I too had the same experience as Friedmud, running with extended desktop caused me to get about 7fps. Running on a single screen and all was well :\

Also i get CPU spikes just about once a minute.. Not sure what thats all about as im not running anything besides mIRC.

My system running Vista is the one in sig, running it on a separate drive tho, not even dualboot (didnt want to take any chances..:) )

Is it still slow for you? If so did you install any other apps like Anti Virus? I had to install my antivirus cuz it makes vista a slow pos...

nem.no...

The one thing I can think of with the cpu spikes is the picture thing in the sidebar. I see CPU spikes when it changes pictures... probably about once per minute.

Also... for people with lots of stuttering issues in games.... you might make sure that you updated the hardrive controller driver with the nforce drivers from here (if you're running an nforce board of course... but who isn't?):

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_rel70betadriver.html

It definitely smoothed out some things for me... everytime the OS would go for the HD my computer was stuttering. Never did get the stutter on window drag problem to go away though.

eeyjmr... Xgl is definitely better at using older hardware. It was actually initially developed by a guy running on an ATI 128 on a laptop! So it is crazy optimized. I can't wait until everything gets finilaized with it.

Friedmud

Back