Vista 64 or wait for windows 7?

GMcDougal

Gawd
im about to upgrade my pc with new memory, mobo and cpu. I have found out that i wont be able to use all 4 gigs of my new ram. I am thinking about upgrading to vista, but want to go ahead and go 64 bit as it looks like thats gonna be the future. Should i wait for windows 7, or should i go ahead and get windows vista 64? thanks

It depends really. If you install Windows 7 Beta now, you'll be wiping it clean and starting over at least once or twice before getting the final version, which doesn't have an official release date as of yet. Vista x64 is very stable, performs very well, and would be a great choice if you can get it cheap. If I was in your shoes, and knew I'd want Windows 7, I'd probably look for a cheap Vista Basic license for now to hold me over until Windows 7 is released, and stable.

I'd hop on Windows 7 if I could acquire the beta ISO (the keys are still freely available from Microsoft directly sooooo...) and get to learning it inside and out. But this is what I'd always recommend at this point with RTM so close - within a few months. If we were still a year out from release, I'd probably lean towards Vista given that we didn't get a pubicly accessible beta of Windows 7 till January anyway.

I still say it's the one to go with...

I'd say this is based more on when you will upgrade than anything else. If upgrading today or next week, get vista. If upgrading say towards christmas, then wait.

I held out for vista for a long time (I was one of those with win98 still when xp first came out lol), and now it seems most if not all of the issues are gone.

It depends really. If you install Windows 7 Beta now, you'll be wiping it clean and starting over at least once or twice before getting the final version, which doesn't have an official release date as of yet. Vista x64 is very stable, performs very well, and would be a great choice if you can get it cheap. If I was in your shoes, and knew I'd want Windows 7, I'd probably look for a cheap Vista Basic license for now to hold me over until Windows 7 is released, and stable.
I agree with this opinion. 7 is a nice OS but it's not close to Vista in terms of compatibility and still suffers some driver issues in gaming performance. I don't like constantly reinstalling my OS so I want something that I'm going to not have to mess with for a year, with 7 you're going to want the newest version which means a wipe 1-2 more times before you get the copy off the shelf.

Vista is a great OS and with brand new hardware you won't notice a difference in performance anyways, or at least I didn't when I tested 7 on my system. If you had a slower cpu or only 512-1.5ish GB of ram I would suggest 7 because it is better in that situation.

Can I use this thread to ask something please ?

Have never used Windows 7 (why isn't there a proper name for it ??).

Trying to notice a difference between XP and Vista in regards to responsivness is hard for me, as the hardware, where my Vista (x86) runs on, doesn't even sweat a little bit.

I understand that there are small differences in the UI between Vista and Windows 7, but what else would I notice, except the minor changes ?

Or let me put it this way, what three points are the most significat improvements over Vista ?

Thank you

Can I use this thread to ask something please ?

Have never used Windows 7 (why isn't there a proper name for it ??).

Trying to notice a difference between XP and Vista in regards to responsivness is hard for me, as the hardware, where my Vista (x86) runs on, doesn't even sweat a little bit.

I understand that there are small differences in the UI between Vista and Windows 7, but what else would I notice, except the minor changes ?

Or let me put it this way, what three points are the most significat improvements over Vista ?

Thank you
If your hardware runs Vista without a sweat, you won't notice a performance boost moving to 7. 7's main advantage comes in that it scales down much better so that it runs well on slower clocked cpu's and lower memory configurations. In terms of services, 7 has maybe a handful less running at a time than Vista does on my system. I didn't notice a difference in boot time or gaming benchmarks comparing to Vista. To me it's a UI upgrade over Vista with a few new features but I'm definitely picking it up, I like it It's just not a big enough change though to 'win over' Vista users IMO, even though it will. In a nutshell, it's Vista that runs on lower end machines. Application support as of now is worse than Vista also (because it's beta and applications haven't all been updated to run on 7).

dont fret about it put both on see what u like better then format the os you least like "vista"

If you don't mind reinstalling, I'd say go with Windows7

Back