Vista 64 detects 4gb of ram, steam doesnt....

zombix

[H]ard|Gawd
Well i have installed 4 gb of memory and everything works really well. Even vista 64 detects all the ram.

Though i was doing a hardware survey for steam and it seems steam only reports me having only 2 gb of ram.....:rolleyes:

Anyways is this a bug? Steam cant recognize more then 2 gb? Will having 2 gb more do nothing to improve game play because steam cant detect 4 gb? Or am i just getting worried over nothing?

Steam detected all 4gb of my RAM under Vista64. You may need the hotfix for the 2gb virtual address barrier for games from Microsoft.

It's in Windows Update. I'll get you the KB number in a moment.

EDIT: It's KB940105

under help---> system information.

I downloaded and tried to install kb940105 and vista tells me that i do not need this update. :confused:

under help---> system information.

I downloaded and tried to install kb940105 and vista tells me that i do not need this update. :confused:

Interesting. I am running Vista x64 with 4GB, which Vista reports and uses as expected. Prompted by your post, I checked Steam, and it only reports 2GB. I too, tried installing KB940105-x64, and the install stops with a "Does not apply" message.

yeah wierd i just hope steam games use up the 4 gb. I sent an email to tech support and i guess its wait and see....

Well im off to the dentist to get 4 wisdom teeth pulled, ill be back later and see if there is anything else i can do to get steam to recognize 4gb.

Well im off to the dentist to get 4 wisdom teeth pulled, ill be back later and see if there is anything else i can do to get steam to recognize 4gb.

That's really weird since yesterday I went to the dentist to get 4 wisdom teeth pulled but he could only detect 2 wisdom teeth.

Anyone know if there's a hotfix to get him to pull the full set of 4 teeth?

I was just reading something yesterday about steam and 64bit OS, I guess there is a 64bit version of steam, maybe make sure you are using that and not a 32bit one?

I'm running vista 64 and installed HL2/Steam on it. It only shows 2GB of my 4.
If they had a 64bit Steam, it should have installed because it installs by default with your game.

Other than them not listing the correct memory amount=incorrect Steam Survey data it, shouldn't have any effect.

Sounds like a bug with steam, it's no big deal, steam is a 32bit app and cannot address more than 4gb of virtual memory (2gb for the application, and 2gb for the OS) and so will never exceed 2Gb usage to begin with.

Theres no 64bit copy of steam that I'm aware of...

They are referring to the games themselves. HL2/HL2 E1 are using 64 bit on my system.

Sounds like a bug with steam, it's no big deal, steam is a 32bit app and cannot address more than 4gb of virtual memory (2gb for the application, and 2gb for the OS) and so will never exceed 2Gb usage to begin with.

Theres no 64bit copy of steam that I'm aware of...

You're right... I just looked at the "System Info" screen and it does indeed only show 2GB installed. You're right, though, it doesn't matter since the games themselves are 64-bit.

ya... me too.

My 4 GB of memory with Vista 64 bit shows as 2 gb in the Steam system info.

I had actually just ran into this yesterday as well. I guess it's a common problem.

I'm not too worried. :)

I'm not 100% certain here but I think all of the source games so far are 32bit, there was a 64bit version of HL2 released at some stage and you could run it by adding a switch to the steam exe which specifically added it to your games list.

Whether that became the de-facto version of HL2 for those who owned 64bit capable hardware (and a 64bit OS) who knows...I don't think so.

I think the benefits of 64bit gaming aren't too massive, the additional registers in a 64bit CPU can be used for both 32bit and 64bit applications and so CPU power isn't exactly wasted, although it can be more efficient in 64bit depending on exactly what you're calculating.

I read an article/interview about crysis a while back and I think they claimed something like a 10-15% increase in CPU performance using 64bit, I'm not quite sure what that would translate to in real work performance increase, I suspect very little if your games frame rate is limited by the video card, which It will be for most people.

When I first installed Steam (and then HL2) on x64 a while back, I loaded up HL2 for the first time (after it was 100% complete and "ready") and it started updating again. It was at this point that it loaded in 64-bit mode.

I'm pretty sure it will do this automatically, like it did for me. I certainly didn't do anything extra to prompt this, nor did I need to add anything.

I'm fairly sure thats a behaviour created by the patch system through steam, it doesn't always update to the latest version straight away, I could be wrong, thats just my observations.

There's not a bug in Steam here. It's a 32 bit application. Like any other Win32 application running under Win64, it runs in the WOW32 subsystem. This subsystem "lies" to the app for compatibility and shows it only 2 gigs of physical available memory.

There is not yet a 64-bit version of Steam.

Back