Vista 5456 much speedier....

TheRapture said:
I would say something else is wrong then. I am finding a HUGE speed increase in games with 5456, call it 85% to 90% the speed of XP, compared to about 60% the first go round :eek:
*shrug*

completly clean install, vs very, very dirty install of XP (been through three MB's, two NF4's and my current i865
eek.gif
) and the Vista one was much, much slower.

well it might just be because my XP installation was extremely crapped up but this new vista is working one hell of a lot better for me than my old XP

I've read conflicting info on this. Some say the B2 keys work, some say they don't.

-Larry

evs said:
this version isn't released to the general CPP program which means that beta 2 keys won't work. i think we're gonna have to wait for RC1

My B2 key worked just fine.

the watermark on the desktop even says "Windows Vista Beta2 Build 5456"

5472, BETTER OPTOMIZATION, LESS RESOURCE HOGGING...

COMING THIS WEEKEND

I just got done installing Public beta 2 on tuesday and finally finishing for the time being installing everything. I'm happy to say that most things I have on XP i was able to use on 32 bit vista besides creative audigy 2 zs (they just released drivers on the 12th for x-fi DAMN THEM!), printer (but should be fixed with official release, already e-mailed HP and canon) and my AV (windows on care live, again they said they will add support soon) oh yah and nero 7 doesnt seem to work! NOW i find out there is a newer build and it seems to kick beta 2 public butt i have to format and start over again! i might do update but ill letu know..oh yah and bf2 runs on vista..performace is another issue though..the console text is hard to read and fps drops like crazy a lot..ill also check it out with new build

anyone have the problem of installing nvidia display drivers 88.61 or whatever and during installation process the monitor goes "out of range" and then it comes back and you got like lines flashing on ur screen and its refreshing real fast..like its scrolling on ur screen fast...this forces me to power off my pc improperly :(

i also installed 64 bit version of vista but upon getting past the vista loading screen and i guess gonna load up desktop i get a BSOD but i cant see it fast enough to tell what it says..anyone know if they experience this problem with 64 bit vista? I know in XP with hitting f8 u would disable automatic restart when BSOD happen but i didnt see it in the F8 menu unless im being stupid :?

i haev problemz!!11one

vista (5456) butchers F.E.A.R.!

it looks like HL1 graphics...

anybody have suggestions?

ps: a new build this weekend?

lithium726 said:
Use an older Daemon. 3.04 or something like that works.

Actually the newest Daemon works 4.xx something. they have it for 32 and 64..works great for 32 havent tried 64 :) just google daemon tools official website

another new build? hmm...it doesn't seem to be hogging to much resources for me, but i'm no expert. but if they fix that bug in the sorting of files then i'm willing to do another clean install just so i can get it fixed.

So how do I get the latest build? I have MSDN, but still only have access to 5384.

Please help!

TechLarry said:
I've read conflicting info on this. Some say the B2 keys work, some say they don't.

-Larry

yeh. i used my Beta 2 key when i installed and it works fine.

Same here, my B2 key worked. I did an upgrade since I didn't want to re-install every application and game I had under B2. 5456 is way faster than the public preview, and more stable.

Kwincy

i like 5456 more, but it's far from perfect... gaming is still far from perfect...

any other news on the next build?

not sure about the whole MSDN thing mate, but RC1 is due to come out in late August? Correct me if i'm wrong anyone. So basically that would be released to anyone who is a tester and also people who are part of the CPP.

It would be nice if the new X-Fi drivers worked for me. But it gives me an error when installing, and doesnt work. I cant get sound out of this build. :(

DeathMan said:
i like 5456 more, but it's far from perfect... gaming is still far from perfect...

any other news on the next build?

I am very happy with most of Vista in it's current build. Software compatibility still sucks in some respects, I can't burn Lightscribe disks yet....Nero still has some bugs, but at least it's workable. Gaming does have a ways to go, I still boot back to XP when I want to get my game on. I have not noticed the extra ram usage being an issue since I have 2gb, and probably will go with 3gb the next build/upgrade of my pc.

So far it has been stable as a rock, even when running overclocked. I run my X2 3800 (2ghz) at 2.6ghz for everyday use, no C-n-C at all.

I have a bug with Folding at home, it can't connect to the server to transmit compelted units, so it has to be sent under XP, I use the same FAH director on both OS installs, as I do my games and what not.

Most of my dvd ripping/compression/editing tools work acceptable under Vista as well.

Basically I would be running it full time if not for my gaming needs. That will improve as the vid drivers get better (and they will).

I have also discovered that DVD Shrink is a fair amount faster under Vista x86 than it is under XP. Also DVD Decrypter is less problematic it seems and also faster. A typical 6gb DVD was taking ~20 mins under XP to compress to a 4.3gb file using high quality/deep analysis option, and under Vista the exact same DVD and settings takes 16 minutes. A 3-4 minute gain is very nice! The cpu is getting used up as well under Vista, both cores right up to 100%, where as under XP I only see 65% to 80% usage of both cores (which would account for the speed increase).

It seems that Vista is going to be a real nice OS for video compressing/editing/multimedia stuff....

P.S.- i just used DVD Shrink to compress a 6.2gb .iso file to a 4.7gb DVD, using "deep analysis" and "sharpen" feature, total time including burning time = 28 minutes 5 seconds. Very nice.

i agree completely...

however when i go to dual boot XP, it corrupts my C: drive (vista is on this) and i have to reformat and start everything over again...

anybody have any suggestions :p?

TheRapture said:
I am very happy with most of Vista in it's current build. Software compatibility still sucks in some respects, I can't burn Lightscribe disks yet....Nero still has some bugs, but at least it's workable. Gaming does have a ways to go, I still boot back to XP when I want to get my game on. I have not noticed the extra ram usage being an issue since I have 2gb, and probably will go with 3gb the next build/upgrade of my pc.

So far it has been stable as a rock, even when running overclocked. I run my X2 3800 (2ghz) at 2.6ghz for everyday use, no C-n-C at all.

I have a bug with Folding at home, it can't connect to the server to transmit compelted units, so it has to be sent under XP, I use the same FAH director on both OS installs, as I do my games and what not.

Most of my dvd ripping/compression/editing tools work acceptable under Vista as well.

Basically I would be running it full time if not for my gaming needs. That will improve as the vid drivers get better (and they will).

DeathMan said:
i agree completely...

however when i go to dual boot XP, it corrupts my C: drive (vista is on this) and i have to reformat and start everything over again...

anybody have any suggestions :p?

you are trying to install XP *after" the Vista is already installed? You should not do that since the XP bootloader is not compatible with Vista. Install XP first, then do Vista after that, either by starting the Vista install from within windows XP and choosing a seperate install (not upgrade), or by booting from the Vista DVD. The Vista bootloader will "see" the XP install and set up a dual boot option.

TheRapture said:
you are trying to install XP *after" the Vista is already installed? You should not do that since the XP bootloader is not compatible with Vista. Install XP first, then do Vista after that, either by starting the Vista install from within windows XP and choosing a seperate install (not upgrade), or by booting from the Vista DVD. The Vista bootloader will "see" the XP install and set up a dual boot option.

oh right...so that's why. happened to me aswell

TheRapture said:
THANK YOU!

haha good to know i'm not stuck...

well.... off to reformat and lose the last week of work!

yey

you don't have to. I recovered from a similar position.

I found this after recovering the hard way.

check out the MSDN article on Boot Configuration Data Editor as well.

gah...

just finished reinstalling vista and xp...

dang...

what exactly does that program do?

and any idea what xp reads my D: drive as the F: drive, while vista reads it as the D: drive?

Back