Vista 5456 much speedier....

Hm, this is def good news. I've been fiddling around with beta 2 for the past couple of days, and while I've been enjoying it, the lack of snappiness is keeping me away. Hopefully RC1 will be a huge improvement. RC1 will be released to the public, correct?

No offense intended evs, just messing around. I did not check the initial install, but Vista 5456 on my 60gb (55gb in windows) reports 29gb FREE, which means Vista plus a couple games and my normal software takes ~26gb....pretty large but in this day and age of 200gb+ drives, nothing to worry about.

5456 is impressing me still. Games are still a bit slower, and since I game at 1680x1050 I do return to XP to play seriously. However, i prefer to stay inside of Vista when I can.

I would like to confirm that you can upgrade from Beta 2 to 5456 :D

Wow, this is what Beta 2 should have been. Faster, less anoying, just all around better. It looks like they are polishing up the interface a bit, they gave lots of icons a facelift in this one.

Now if only they would let me change the interface back to the way Luna did it...

lithium726 said:
I've been a connect member for quite a while, but I dont see Vista in the "avaliable programs" view... is there anything special I have to do to get this?
anyone wanna answer that for me? :( or did you all get it illegally? :p

oh, i thought it was avaliable to MS connect users, I think thats what the INQ said anyway...

*sigh* oh well...

lithium726 said:
oh, i thought it was avaliable to MS connect users, I think thats what the INQ said anyway...

*sigh* oh well...

That may be true, but since I am not part of that.... ;)

you could always forego your next full system upgrade and subscribe to MSDN instead :p

Unknown-One said:
I would like to confirm that you can upgrade from Beta 2 to 5456 :D

Wow, this is what Beta 2 should have been. Faster, less anoying, just all around better. It looks like they are polishing up the interface a bit, they gave lots of icons a facelift in this one.

Now if only they would let me change the interface back to the way Luna did it...

so you mean upgrade as in not having to do a clean install? or are u talking about the the fact that you can use the cd-key?

TheRapture said:
No offense intended evs, just messing around. I did not check the initial install, but Vista 5456 on my 60gb (55gb in windows) reports 29gb FREE, which means Vista plus a couple games and my normal software takes ~26gb....pretty large but in this day and age of 200gb+ drives, nothing to worry about.

5456 is impressing me still. Games are still a bit slower, and since I game at 1680x1050 I do return to XP to play seriously. However, i prefer to stay inside of Vista when I can.

yeh mate. none taken. just kiddin around mate.

but man games these days are pretty big so you can probably take like 4gb away? so around about 20-22 gb..its sitll pretty big for the os ey...

btw. do game perform a lot better on xp compared to vista?

lithium726 said:
I've been a connect member for quite a while, but I dont see Vista in the "avaliable programs" view... is there anything special I have to do to get this?
the programs you're seeing in there are ones where they're looking for 'public' testers, while vista has been a closed test (except for the cpp beta2) and the only way to get it is to be a msdn or technet subscriber, which either costs money or if you're a prominent it person you can get in for free.

evs said:
so you mean upgrade as in not having to do a clean install?
Yup, just poped the new DVD in while Beta 2 was running and did an Upgrade.

The install went quickly, things are working MUCH faster, and it kept all of my drivers and programs that I had installed on Beta 2.

Unknown-One said:
Yup, just poped the new DVD in while Beta 2 was running and did an Upgrade.

The install went quickly, things are working MUCH faster, and it kept all of my drivers and programs that I had installed on Beta 2.

sweet. i'm gonna do that then. thanks bro. can you activate it though?

but i wouldn't have expected the beta 2 keys to work considering how its like a different beta testing program.

oh well. all the better.

sirholio said:
Mine worked just fine. clean install all around.

as far as where to get it,... there's a torrent for everything just about, and newsgroups probably still have a listing for it if you know how to use those. As always, it's up to you for the legality of it

man....all the torrents are for the 64 bit versions, non for 32

yay! just found one...looked very hard :p

so can my beta 2 key activate it when i install it? or do i need a crack or something?

evs said:
yay! just found one...looked very hard :p

so can my beta 2 key activate it when i install it? or do i need a crack or something?

I believe that sort of thing is not to be discussed here... and I believe I saw on page one people saying their public beta key worked fine

Danith said:
I believe that sort of thing is not to be discussed here... and I believe I saw on page one people saying their public beta key worked fine

worked fine for installation, but i thought activation mite bet different.

and why is it such a big deal? i admit its slightly off topic but it just lead on

i am downlaoding the beta 2 off the microsft site,, i signed upa forever ago and never got around to downlaoding, in my download manager it says vista 5384, this is obviously not 5456, if i wanted the new real actual working 5456 i woudl ahve to, not that i ever would because i do not advocate piracy, illegaly downlaod it right?

I cant figure out where to get 5456 to save my life! Im currently using the older version 53?? that came on my DVD disc, could someone point me in the right direction?

hey,

when i started the vista 5456 setup in beta 2, to upgrade it, it expanded and unpacked the files. then it rebooted and then it went to this error message in the DOS saying that there were some 'critical' drivers or something missing. then i went to 'windows setup' continued, and it went back into vista beta 2 and said that the installation could not continue.

anyone knows why?

'cause you should NEVER do an upgrade when beta testing an OS if you're not a professional beta tester providing this sort of feedback to M$. And this you probably aren't b/c for one, you wouldn't be asking on these forums. Two you wouldn't be worried about how to activate it either had you gotten it from a legitamate Beta source.

evs said:
when i started the vista 5456 setup in beta 2, to upgrade it, it expanded and unpacked the files. then it rebooted and then it went to this error message in the DOS saying that there were some 'critical' drivers or something missing. then i went to 'windows setup' continued, and it went back into vista beta 2 and said that the installation could not continue.
Hmm, well my Beta 2 install was pretty clean (only Windows and drivers) when I upgraded it to the new build.

How much had you done to your Beta 2 install when you tried to upgrade?

well not a whole lot, i mean there was the normal apps and stuff...

but i ended up doing a clean install anyway. its probably the way to go.

nst6563 said:
'cause you should NEVER do an upgrade when beta testing an OS if you're not a professional beta tester providing this sort of feedback to M$. And this you probably aren't b/c for one, you wouldn't be asking on these forums. Two you wouldn't be worried about how to activate it either had you gotten it from a legitamate Beta source.

ok..just take a few steps back, get a drink....ok....now take more steps back

Unknown-One said:
Hmm, well my Beta 2 install was pretty clean (only Windows and drivers) when I upgraded it to the new build.

How much had you done to your Beta 2 install when you tried to upgrade?

You didnt upgrade. You cannot upgrade with the beta.

I upgraded from 5384 to 5456, just by inserting the new disk and clicking upgrade. Now it says 5456 in the lower right corner.

fallguy said:
You didnt upgrade. You cannot upgrade with the beta.

Wrong, you can indeed do an in place upgrade. It may not be the BEST choice, but with Vista, it can be done from the public beta build to the in house 5456. Just so you know.

It wasnt an option for me. The only option highlighted (and the only smart option anyways) was the clean install. Same as when installing the previous version.

fallguy said:
It wasnt an option for me. The only option highlighted (and the only smart option anyways) was the clean install. Same as when installing the previous version.

Interesting....I had the option, in fact, I did the upgrade to see if it would work. It did, but then I wiped the partition and installed fresh anyway....

What version were you working with? x86 or x64?

hey anyone knows why i can't sort by name in ascending order in my folders? its really weird. like all my files and folders i backed up was in ascending, and when i copied them to this new windows they were still ascending. but as soon as i changed the sorting, i can't go back to it.

anyone have any issues with getting diskeeper vista beta working within this new build? Because I am. It cant start the service while it is installing.

This build is better, but it still sucks. between XP and Vista, my frames in FC are about 4x higher in XP. This could be because my card is clocked at stock in vista, but it shouldnt make that big of a difference, my card isnt clocked 4x higher :p

lithium726 said:
This build is better, but it still sucks. between XP and Vista, my frames in FC are about 4x higher in XP. This could be because my card is clocked at stock in vista, but it shouldnt make that big of a difference, my card isnt clocked 4x higher :p

I would say something else is wrong then. I am finding a HUGE speed increase in games with 5456, call it 85% to 90% the speed of XP, compared to about 60% the first go round :eek:

yeh i think this is generally a better build. its a lot quicker in the usual windows explorer and stuff like that. only thing is that the bug that is stoping me from listing my files in ascending alphabetical order is kinda pissing me off

Back