VisionTek ATI Radeon HD 4850 $149 @ Best Buy starts 9/21 Sunday

berzerker

Gawd

This is from next Sunday's ad, so don't go to BB expecting it to be this price until SUNDAY 9/21.

VisionTek ATI Radeon HD 4850 $149 - This price is NOT online now, but it might be the same price on Sunday.

The ad also shows a $10 Giftcard with purchase. There also may be some coupons around, maybe someone can post a link.

damn I may bite. I have a nice GTX280 already, wish H would hurry up on that crossfire review

hmm $250 for a 4870 don't sound that bad. That'd be $275 here in Alabama though(Tax FTW! :()

Its pretty damn tempting. I really want to hold out till Black Friday but damn.

hmm $250 for a 4870 don't sound that bad. That'd be $275 here in Alabama though(Tax FTW! :()

You have a 10% tax rate in Alabama? :eek: I thought my 7.5% was bad.

yeah tax is ridiculous here in Birmingham so what part of Alabama are you in???

I think I may just break down and get this...

Good deal.

Newegg has them for less with MIR. Minus taxes for some people.

Damn, nice deal. Might have to go out to BB to get one (or maybe have it shipped to me? Kind of a PITA to go a few towns over to the closes BB).

Hm how does a 4850 compare to a 9800gtx? Also is this card long and hot? I have a mATX mobo running a 7600gt and not sure if it'll fit.

Any coupons to sweeten the deal?

damn I may bite. I have a nice GTX280 already, wish H would hurry up on that crossfire review

Having come from the opposite end of that spectrum, I'll save you the worry. GTX 280 > 4850 CF. At least that's generally been my observation. I notice that the 4850 CF bludgeons the 280 in slightly older games (Supreme Commander, ES IV: Oblivion) but in anything newer the 280 has been much smoother for me. I too am looking forward to the [H] CF/SLI review, but as it stands with the 8.8 drivers, 4850 CF performance is not a GTX 280 beater.

Tax here in Huntsville/Madison is only about 8%, so 10% is a good estimate. The 4850 is a pretty good deal for the price, but I just made the switch to console (I know, I know).

Hm how does a 4850 compare to a 9800gtx? Also is this card long and hot? I have a mATX mobo running a 7600gt and not sure if it'll fit.

Case measurements?

4850 is smaller than the GTX, also has single slot cooling, so unless you put aftermarket cooling on it you won't be able to overclock it to the level of the 9800GTX.

As far as stock performance they are incredibly similar. I've seen several reviews that give the edge to the 4850. In crossfire the 4850's usually beat the 9800GTX's in SLI. The new GTX+ is a better matchup for the 4850. For one hundred fifty freaking bucks and for a visiontek this is more than a worthy and economical upgrade to your 7600GT. The 4850 also includes the HDMI adapter with audio for you HDTV. I don't know about the GTX plus but the 4850 has a built in hardware decoder for 8 channel audio. :eek: (The GTX+ might...)

The 4850 supports DX10.1 ... for whatever that's worth (not much, really.)

If you could snag a 9800GTX for $150 without rebates or other crap that would be a good deal too, and the cooling is better on the 9800. Up to you. I like my 4850, but the thing gets hot when I overclock it!

come on now those comparisons are all over the web. 5 seconds on google will net you two dozen reviews. :confused:

the 4850 is not a very big card. I hope you have a decent cpu and 2 gigs of ram or most of the performance will go to waste. also you need a good power supply of course.

Having come from the opposite end of that spectrum, I'll save you the worry. GTX 280 > 4850 CF. At least that's generally been my observation. I notice that the 4850 CF bludgeons the 280 in slightly older games (Supreme Commander, ES IV: Oblivion) but in anything newer the 280 has been much smoother for me. I too am looking forward to the [H] CF/SLI review, but as it stands with the 8.8 drivers, 4850 CF performance is not a GTX 280 beater.

That's generally what I've seen too. The reason I'm going crossfire is for the better Intel mobo (better quad overclocking than SLI boards) and it's cheaper than a single GTX280. Only $300 for the two cards, and $120 for my motherboard. I might have to grab my second one at this sale .... wait for black friday? or snag it now ... hmmm..... Sometimes best buy does killer black friday deals on ati stuff. What to do ...

Case measurements?

4850 is smaller than the GTX, also has single slot cooling, so unless you put aftermarket cooling on it you won't be able to overclock it to the level of the 9800GTX.

As far as stock performance they are incredibly similar. I've seen several reviews that give the edge to the 4850. In crossfire the 4850's usually beat the 9800GTX's in SLI. The new GTX+ is a better matchup for the 4850. For one hundred fifty freaking bucks and for a visiontek this is more than a worthy and economical upgrade to your 7600GT. The 4850 also includes the HDMI adapter with audio for you HDTV. I don't know about the GTX plus but the 4850 has a built in hardware decoder for 8 channel audio. :eek: (The GTX+ might...)

The 4850 supports DX10.1 ... for whatever that's worth (not much, really.)

If you could snag a 9800GTX for $150 without rebates or other crap that would be a good deal too, and the cooling is better on the 9800. Up to you. I like my 4850, but the thing gets hot when I overclock it!
I'm not worried about the case it's a midtower atx case so it'll fit but the board on the other hand...there are sata ports blocking the way, it's an ECS 7050vt-m or whatever the model # is. I'm not looking to OC and not looking to CF and I need a single slot solution due to space constraints from the PCI cards I have installed. Thanks for the informative review, I've just been with nVidia since forever and have had no problems with their drivers or anything so I'm a little nervous to jump ship.
come on now those comparisons are all over the web. 5 seconds on google will net you two dozen reviews. :confused:

the 4850 is not a very big card. I hope you have a decent cpu and 2 gigs of ram or most of the performance will go to waste. also you need a good power supply of course.
2gb ram yes, E6600 at stock and a Corsair vx550 so I think I should be fine and besides I don't game at high resolutions.

That is good to know. One of the things I have been wondering is how well trifire works. I guessing not well because people aren't doing it. I may yet dump AMD and just get a nice 750i board and second GTX280.

2gb ram yes, E6600 at stock and a Corsair vx550 so I think I should be fine and besides I don't game at high resolutions.
sounds like you are good to go. just make sure you look at the tutorial in the ATI sub forums on how to adjust the fan speeds to make it run cooler .

I'm gonna pick one of these up and put my components into my new Antec Three Hundred (arriving tomorrow, I hope) case and finally get my game on. I hope my old 3800 X2 is up to the task. :)

I'm gonna pick one of these up and put my components into my new Antec Three Hundred (arriving tomorrow, I hope) case and finally get my game on. I hope my old 3800 X2 is up to the task. :)
your cpu will definitely be holding you back

Anyone have some experience with how these overclock? A stock 4850 just isn't a big enough increase from my 8800GTS.

I am kinda debating wether or not I should let go of my 2900pro 512MB card for this one.:confused:

Anyone have some experience with how these overclock? A stock 4850 just isn't a big enough increase from my 8800GTS.
If you have an 8800GTS it would be a waist of $ to get a 4850 no matter how much you overclock it. You can get a 260 for less than $250 (as low as $210 AR) which is what I plan to do if I get the new job I just interviewed for last week. I currently have a 8800GTS 320 and run at 1920 by 1200 which is really pushing it on that card even on the main game that I play, which is 3 years old.

Nice. I bought my 4870 from BB about 2 weeks ago for 289.00. So I will be going to get my price adjustment.

Thanks!

yeah anyone got any coupons that will work with this purchase?

Nice, I had this very same card in my hand at Best buy the other day. Price at that time was $185 and I fought myself to put it back on the shelf cause I want a new card so bad. I guess there is no other thing to hold me back now. I know where I'll be on Sunday.

This is pretty good for a reference card, not having to deal with rebates and all. What I haven't found is a good round up of reference and non-reference cooled cards to show a good difference. /bites nails...

Check the link and you'll see both the 4850 and 4870 with $50 off and $10 giftcard. Should have put that in the title, but oh well..

Damnit, beat me too it... Red light was too short

Check the link and you'll see both the 4850 and 4870 with $50 off and $10 giftcard. Should have put that in the title, but oh well..

Damnit, beat me too it... Red light was too short

Opps my bad:eek:
Too bad I already a pair of each for my next upgrades that I'm working on now.

I hate to think about going back to ATI but at these prices I may have to. What I know will happen is right after I buy one Nvidia will come out with a card to beat the ATIs.

Got the 4850 at Circuit City on the 10th for $185. Their price match thing says they'll give me 100% of the difference if someone has a lower advertised price within 30 days.

Do you think they'll give me the gift card too, or is that wishful thinking?

I hate to think about going back to ATI but at these prices I may have to. What I know will happen is right after I buy one Nvidia will come out with a card to beat the ATIs.

And right after that ATI will come out with card to beat Nvidias...

Hmm, when the new gtx260 becomes more widely available, is there a chance that the 4870 will simply continue to remain at $250? I mean this looks like its gonna be a great deal and I would hate to miss it but I would hate to see the following week the 4870s remind to sell at the same price...

Mine has inventory now so I am going in tomorrow and buy it while I can. Then next week I will go back and get the credit.

Back