VisionTek... any good?

Smiththers2

Limp Gawd
well i just got a credit card from best buy to buy a TV and have a few pennies left over. i was wondering if this company that ive never heard anything about is worth the money. this is the card i want to get http://www.bestbuy.com/site/VisionT...1218130496606&skuId=9604269&st=5850&cp=1&lp=1

i think its time i upgraded and take advantage of some new performance. otherwise i might try and get a newegg credit car and get an XFX if i can...

No.

I had a gpu fan die on me.

Only brand I've ever had an issue with....

Go with XFX, for sure.

VisionTek claims a "lifetime" warranty, however, they will not honor it... since when the product incurrs an error, surely it's life is over, right? (especially since they won't fix it).

VisionTek claims a "lifetime" warranty, however, they will not honor it... since when the product incurrs an error, surely it's life is over, right? (especially since they won't fix it).

I just went through an RMA with them on a 4870 a month or so back. I did have to pay shipping, and it did take three weeks, but I got a working card back that at least appears new, and is running fine. So all in all it was a fairly good experience.

Worst RMA process I've ever had to go through. I had to pay for shipping to them and include a check in the box to pay for the return shipping. Never again will I buy one of their products.

Edit: Forgot to mention it took over 4 weeks because they had to do "extensive testing" on the card.(x1950pro PCI-e) They then tried to send me back an AGP card...Fortunately I corrected them before they shipped me said AGP card and I did get the correct card back.

Last edited:
I just went through an RMA with them on a 4870 a month or so back. I did have to pay shipping, and it did take three weeks, but I got a working card back that at least appears new, and is running fine. So all in all it was a fairly good experience.

I'm still waiting for my HD4350 to be accepted into RMA. I guess they didn't believe a HD4350 could die.

My VisionTek GeForce3 just died this year that I bought new from BB. *shrug* - I can't complain about VT.

well i think ill save up the cash for a real card then, i got denied a card from newegg though :-\..... anyone else here have good luck with getting a card from newegg? you dont have to tell if you dont want to, it is after all semi personal information

My VT 3870x2 started to die due to fan issues, they sent me a replacement. I purchased a 5850 while they were testing the RMA as the days were flying by. Also, the new card just appeared at my door one day. No email, phone call, or letter from VT, not even any information in the box with the 3870 they sent me.

The 3870x2 will now be a backup if I need to RMA the 5850, which is an HiS(not sure why I bought it), I hope I don't need to as HiS isn't any better to deal with than VT. Damn you Newegg and your one day specials.

I would avoid VisionTek (and any other AIB) and go with XFX.

I owned a VT 4870, it never died on me I think I sold it some time back. I now have an XFX 5870, the first one died after only a month, this one has been okay. XFX was good about replacing it (it took a about a week). Although I think I may jump ship soon, as this one seems to be going bad too, and I keep having to deal with all of this driver nonsense.:mad:

I have a Reference VT HD4870 that's still kicking for what its worth. Purchased 2 years ago this month.

I have a Reference VT HD4870 that's still kicking for what its worth. Purchased 2 years ago this month.

I've gone with VT twice - first one (ATI-branded, but built by VT) is an X1650 Pro AGP (now in Mom's desktop and still in business, running 7 Ultimate x32); second is my current HD5450 512 MB DDR3 (single-slot and passive cooling; surprisngly, no problems). Owned an HIS HD3450 between them (256 MB PCIe); it is also still running (passed down as an upgrade for an HP Pavilion from onboard Intel graphics; OS on that box is Vista HP x64). Out of all the graphics cards I've ever owned, only one (a built-by-ATI AIW 9700 Pro) has ever failed.

I bought visiontek all the time in the past, because at the time they had the best warrenty IIRC, but now that XFX is on board, i would suggest sticking with them.

I have a VisionTek 4870, it a crap overclocker, one of the fans stopped working but didn't really harm the temperatures and made it very quiet, so i'm kinda thankful. It's been a bit bulletprrof to be honest lol. Cheap though, everythng about it screams cheeeaap.

Yeah, $20 to process the RMA each time on a 4870x2 that died twice in as many years. Visiontek can suck it! XFX maybe better better in the rma department but, their tech support people I've talked to have been mildly stupid.

I am sure the card works fine, but VisionTek is a terrible company.

Looking at AMD/ATI manufactures, I would grab a XFX, Asus, Gigabyte or MSI video card, as I know they support their products/customers when an issue occurs (atleast here in the USA).

I avoid HIS, VisionTek for sure and leave Powercolor and Sapphire on the sidelines unless the price warrants the lack of support these companies provide.

Back