Virtual Machine with Windows 7 inside Windows 10 Pro

Sneak

Limp Gawd
The real question is which VM software is best or does it really matter? Virtual Box, VM Ware, the app in Windows 10 Pro or something else. ? Will be my first Virtual Machine. Basically the main reason for it is some Windows 7 software I have and want to use that won't install on Windows 10. Will need to be able to save / print files and Doc's and access them from Windows 10. Also I have Windows 7 Pro around with and old key. Wonder if Microsoft will care since they don't support it anymore. Maybe I need a new key.

I've always had good results with VirtualBox, and the price is right.

There is nothing that would prevent you from using your old Windows 7 key if it's a retail key. If it's an OEM key, it's only meant to be tied to one machine and not re-used.

Also note that while Microsoft doesn't "support" Windows 7 anymore, the authentication servers, as well as the windows update servers are still fully functional and they have already released new patches anyway on several occasions in response to serious flaws.

With all that said, I'm a bit curious about what Windows 7 program won't work properly on Windows 10. In almost every single one of these cases, there is, in fact, a way to make it work on Windows 10.

VirtualBox is a good choice.

I do wonder though if you can just run with compatibility modes in Windows 10. I'd be surprised if a Win 7 app doesn't work.

yeah try compat mode^^ or try just copying the program files, it might work fine. then id go with vbox.

My Windows 7 is an OEM from a past build so it looks like a new key is needed. Will see.

Last edited:
The problem with VirtualBox is that it doesn't handle screen resolutions worth a damn. I quit using it for this reason.

I prefer VMWare Workstation Player for two reasons. First, I'm more comfortable with VMWare terminology, since we use ESXi at work. Second, VirtualBox is owned by Oracle now. Oracle = bad. Oracle salespeople have a special place in hell reserved for them.

^ This. VMWare workstation player is free and they don't require any weirdness like registering to get a key.

I never had serious problems with anything VMWare.
Only annoyance that occasionally happens with VMWare for me now is that whenever the USB bug kicks in, it asks me whether to plug in USB devices to the host or to the VM. For some devices, it remembers the decision, for some not. I might be doing something wrong, though.

BTW I only know that and Linux KVM.

Back