Virgin Hyperloop One Sets New Speed Record

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Virgin Hyperloop One has set a new speed record of 240 miles per hour. This exceeded the record set by Elon Musk's hyperloop by 20 miles per hour. Further, not only is the Virgin offering currently faster, but they've named Richard Branson their non-executive chairman. Additionally, they've raised $50 million more to help them continue funding this venture. All of this is good news because it shows there's competition in this market and it's always good to have some competition for our hard earned dollars.

Virgin Hyperloop One has also set a historic test speed record of nearly 387 kilometers per hour (240 miles per hour, 107 meters per second) during its third phase of testing at DevLoop, the world’s first full-scale hyperloop test site. The company achieved faster speeds and tested a new airlock which helps transition test pods between atmospheric and vacuum conditions during its latest test campaign which was completed on December 15, 2017.

Are you saying the information provided is not accurate? That is a sincere question.

Are you saying the information provided is not accurate? That is a sincere question.

The number is accurate, but the conclusion is a bit silly. 240mph is a record for Hyperloop One, yes. But it's still much slower than JR's traditional mag levs have gone (375mph), seeing as Hyperloop One is running a mag lev train in a low-pressure envionment, 240mph isn't very impressive.

It's accurate but overall irrelevant as to whether or not it's faster than what Elon Musk has done. Also not sure what's going on with the Richard Branson dick-sucking either. Montu has a record of shitting on anything Musk related, despite the fact that it was Musk who kick started this in order to make it a reality. If he wanted to be the best at it, he wouldn't have released it publicly.

For me, as long as facts are accurate, I'll draw my own conclusions. I do not care if my conclusion varies from the originator of the article. I just want accurate facts.

The number is accurate, but the conclusion is a bit silly. 240mph is a record for Hyperloop One, yes. But it's still much slower than JR's traditional mag levs have gone (375mph), seeing as Hyperloop One is running a mag lev train in a low-pressure envionment, 240mph isn't very impressive.
Not to mention that the tgv went 357mph 20 years ago, on traditional rails. The only way hyperflop can impress me if it will offer speeds comparable to air travel. Anything less, means it's prohibitively expensive compared to traditional railways.

Given a long enough tube, and near zero vaccuum with a constant source of acceleration, there is no reason it should not be able to reach 600MPH,...eventually.

I see the speeds they are talking about now, as simple test speeds. You do have to test a lot of complex system before shooting a pod through a tube at over 500MPH, or someone could get killed, or at least hurt really badly.

For me, iIt is interesting to note the progress.

For the record, there is no way in hell I will ever get into one of those things.

shooting a pod through a tube at over 500MPH, or someone could get killed, or at least hurt really badly.

Multiple people died recently from a rail train crashing at 81 mph on a curve. A full crash at 500mph would result in bodies no longer being recognizable or even vaporized.

Multiple people died recently from a rail train crashing at 81 mph on a curve. A full crash at 500mph would result in bodies no longer being recognizable or even vaporized.
correct me if I'm wrong, people died in that train accident due to being in a car that fell some 20 feet or so onto a freeway, not because of the speed they were going.

correct me if I'm wrong, people died in that train accident due to being in a car that fell some 20 feet or so onto a freeway, not because of the speed they were going.

I think that's part of their point. The speed isn't the issue, it's everything else. Meaning you can be perfectly safe until the unexpected happens, at which point it doesn't matter if you're going 10 mph or 600 mph. So being afraid of being in a vacuum tube is as rational as being afraid of being behind an explosion-powered engine.

Didn't even have to look to know who posted this just based on the bias.

Sure is a lot of humbug about a privately funded venture to try out some new technology.

Not to mention that the tgv went 357mph 20 years ago, on traditional rails. The only way hyperflop can impress me if it will offer speeds comparable to air travel. Anything less, means it's prohibitively expensive compared to traditional railways.

The fastest operating speed of a train today is the TGV and SCMalglev, ~217MPH. Yes speed records are higher, but what's the harm in trying?

because being in a pressurized aluminum can 6 miles above the earth is so much better

At least the can has a steering wheel, a pilot to react to unforeseen situations, and a seat that floats. Your comment was pretty funny though.

Don't care, just want faster and more effective public transport whatever that may be.

Get building!

It's the sudden stop that kills you.
Excessive speed, over twice the limit, caused the accident and not infrastructure like the dotus first tweeted.

Back