Violent games have the same social status as p0rn?

vanquished

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 29, 2002
Messages
359
It seems recently that Violent pc games are being attacked by the government, media and angry parents. They are trying to ban the sale of these games to minors and restrict them to adults. Surely this sounds like as if they are trying to turn violent games into a sort of taboo like p0rn these days. Will the day come when adults walk into these pc game stores with pulsing neon lights while teenagers look and wonder about all the things that they could get there?
 
S

SpeedRunner

Guest
I think that will become less and less of a problem as the first generation of gamers ages.
 

Nomikal

Gawd
Joined
Jun 29, 2004
Messages
712
Porn is radically different than violent games. Porn has a bunch of 'immoral issues' surrounding it...Such as exploitation(of women), it's lewdness, and etc...
 

Converge

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 4, 2005
Messages
1,254
Its hilarious how most parents think its okay to expose their young kids to killing, drugs, and other types of violence in movies and games but its not okay to let them see a boob or two. I think we got it backwards. The government on the other hand, just hates everything.
 

mastercheeze

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 23, 2004
Messages
2,798
Well I for one support this idea as it would thin the herds of pimply-faced 12 year old fuckwads in online games.
 

rcf1987

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 9, 2004
Messages
3,759
mastercheeze said:
Well I for one support this idea as it would thin the herds of pimply-faced 12 year old fuckwads in online games.


I kinda some what agree except I don't play online very much.
 

vanquished

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 29, 2002
Messages
359
Nomikal said:
Porn is radically different than violent games. Porn has a bunch of 'immoral issues' surrounding it...Such as exploitation(of women), it's lewdness, and etc...

surely certain games have certain immoral issues surrounding it. For example, should we let our children shoot people in the head in F.E.A.R then watch their heads roll off? Some games even give children to fight against a certain nationality of people. Is that kind of exposure moral?
 

RoffleCopter

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 8, 2005
Messages
1,912
vanquished said:
surely certain games have certain immoral issues surrounding it. For example, should we let our children shoot people in the head in F.E.A.R then watch their heads roll off? Some games even give children to fight against a certain nationality of people. Is that kind of exposure moral?

i guess parents are more willing to except violent children rather than perverted children. and with all the "anti-world" sentiment going on in this country, some people think its okay like oh were gonna go kill some arabs yay im sure its not bad for our kids because theyre our enemies, while thinking OMG BOOBS! ban this game. i believe other forms of media like movies and tv shows only propel or heighten resentment towards video games. and besides, in a few years or so, sex will no longer will be taboo, it will be the accepted norm, like rock and roll, rap music.....
 

Moose777

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
2,741
Bleeding hearts of the world unite!!!!!

Wahhhhhhh!!!!! I shot someone in the head in a GAME. I need to go turn myself into the local law enforcement before I really do kill someone.

It's a proven fact that games do not make children more prone to violence and anyone who believes that they do needs to be shot. ;)
 

AlexStenka

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 16, 2004
Messages
1,314
Moose777 said:
Bleeding hearts of the world unite!!!!!

Wahhhhhhh!!!!! I shot someone in the head in a GAME. I need to go turn myself into the local law enforcement before I really do kill someone.

It's a proven fact that games do not make children more prone to violence and anyone who believes that they do needs to be shot. ;)

QFT my friend QFT (ADD TO THAT ITS JUST A GAME NOTHING BUT PIXELS!!!!!!)
 

Moose777

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
2,741
This shit pisses me off. No wonder children these days are a bunch of whiney little bitches. Society has taken everything good away from them. Oh, we can't have toy guns anymore because kids will learn to kill. Gimme a friggin' break.

I used to play with toy guns growing up, I used to watch rated R movies growing up, I grew up playing games like D00M and Wolfenstein. I don't own a single gun. I haven't shot anyone. I'm not about to go out and kill someone because I play F.E.A.R. and shoot FAKE people in the head. I don't beleive there are zombies out there who need to be cut up with a chainsaw.

Give it up people. Violence begets violence. Games do not beget violence.

This society is weak. Everyone is afraid of everything.

"OH MY GOD, they just raised the terror alert from green to YELLOW!!! I need to go in my basement and duct tape garbage bags to the windows and put on my gas mask!!!"

Humanity is naturally violent. There have been wars since the dawn of man. Games have not made people violent. Violence is inevitable. You can not eradicate it no more than you can eradicate rascism. It's inherant to man. Changing laws and creating new ones to quench violence in games or to stop violence in general will not work.

I'll say it again, games do not make children violence. And if you believe it, go live in a bomb shelter somewhere away from everything you think is going to hurt you and leave the rest of us alone.
 

snoopy

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 27, 2005
Messages
249
Moose777 said:
This shit pisses me off. No wonder children these days are a bunch of whiney little bitches. Society has taken everything good away from them. Oh, we can't have toy guns anymore because kids will learn to kill. Gimme a friggin' break.

I used to play with toy guns growing up, I used to watch rated R movies growing up, I grew up playing games like D00M and Wolfenstein. I don't own a single gun. I haven't shot anyone. I'm not about to go out and kill someone because I play F.E.A.R. and shoot FAKE people in the head. I don't beleive there are zombies out there who need to be cut up with a chainsaw.

Give it up people. Violence begets violence. Games do not beget violence.

This society is weak. Everyone is afraid of everything.

"OH MY GOD, they just raised the terror alert from green to YELLOW!!! I need to go in my basement and duct tape garbage bags to the windows and put on my gas mask!!!"

Humanity is naturally violent. There have been wars since the dawn of man. Games have not made people violent. Violence is inevitable. You can not eradicate it no more than you can eradicate rascism. It's inherant to man. Changing laws and creating new ones to quench violence in games or to stop violence in general will not work.

I'll say it again, games do not make children violence. And if you believe it, go live in a bomb shelter somewhere away from everything you think is going to hurt you and leave the rest of us alone.

QFT so much....so much...

We can't play a violent video game, but an abusing parent just gets a stern talking to, while little jimmy is scarred for life.


Gotta love the U.S. gov.
 

Nomikal

Gawd
Joined
Jun 29, 2004
Messages
712
vanquished said:
surely certain games have certain immoral issues surrounding it. For example, should we let our children shoot people in the head in F.E.A.R then watch their heads roll off? Some games even give children to fight against a certain nationality of people. Is that kind of exposure moral?

That was a general statement and what you stated doesn't escape the issue of violence since they all involve it. I wasn't implying that violent games should be taking lightly, but I don't think Porn(something more harmful to society) is a comparison or shoud be relegated as such in terms of their immorality.
 

lethial

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Messages
149
Moose777 said:
This shit pisses me off. No wonder children these days are a bunch of whiney little bitches. Society has taken everything good away from them. Oh, we can't have toy guns anymore because kids will learn to kill. Gimme a friggin' break.

I used to play with toy guns growing up, I used to watch rated R movies growing up, I grew up playing games like D00M and Wolfenstein. I don't own a single gun. I haven't shot anyone. I'm not about to go out and kill someone because I play F.E.A.R. and shoot FAKE people in the head. I don't beleive there are zombies out there who need to be cut up with a chainsaw.

Give it up people. Violence begets violence. Games do not beget violence.

This society is weak. Everyone is afraid of everything.

"OH MY GOD, they just raised the terror alert from green to YELLOW!!! I need to go in my basement and duct tape garbage bags to the windows and put on my gas mask!!!"

Humanity is naturally violent. There have been wars since the dawn of man. Games have not made people violent. Violence is inevitable. You can not eradicate it no more than you can eradicate rascism. It's inherant to man. Changing laws and creating new ones to quench violence in games or to stop violence in general will not work.

I'll say it again, games do not make children violence. And if you believe it, go live in a bomb shelter somewhere away from everything you think is going to hurt you and leave the rest of us alone.

So true... Censorship is never a replacement good parenting... And I am sure good parents can somehow manage to tell their kids that there is a difference between red colored pixels that represent blood in a virtual world and that from someone in the real world....

People like to pass blames, and media likes to highlight the extremes. With this "lethal" combination maybe one day all the games will be based on "singing along with Barney"... (Though I have to admit the thought of such game does promote much violence in me somehow :rolleyes: )

I bet someone is out there trying to prove that terrorists are all master CS, BF2 <insert violent video game name here> players.... :eek:
 

Moose777

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
2,741
It just really bothers me that people will sit here and try to justify it. Who claim it as being true. Then you have allt he politicians and lawyers and the media sitting there filling the heads of society with misinformation. Its just a way to control people. Desensitizing them.

People honestly need to stop beleiving everything the government tells them. Or believing everything that is written. Not everything in the bible is true. It's a good story and some of it may be based on fact. But it's not all true. The story has been told for thousands of years so of course things are going to be blown out of proportion or glorified. Christ is a hero. Sure. But I can almost guarantee he did not part the Red Sea. And I can almost bet he was Schizophrenic. The man heard voices. Saw things that were most likely not there. It's like buying a piece of burnt toast off of Ebay that looks like Mary. But you have these religious fanatics who cause more damage to society than a kid bashing in a whore's head with a baseball bat in GTA. But yet, the kid is a direct and immediate threat because he's being trained by a 3rd person semi-top-down perspective video game. Yeah, right...the kid is beside himself when he's outside playing baseball.

"Oh, my god little Diana on the benches is a slut. I've gotta beat the fuck out of her with my wiffle ball bat and steal her money then drive off with my Power Wheels and evade the cops!!!"

Nevermind the whacko in a church holding kids captive claiming that God is coming to take them away if they take these pills that help them sleep.

They aren't protecting anyone. It's like climbing a cliff and telling someone not to look down. The first thing you do is look down. So, putting a restriction on a game or banning a game isn't stopping anything. Someone is still going to shoot someone and someone is still going to die whether or not I can use a chainsaw on an Imp in D00M or not.

They had all the red flags in teh world prior to 9/11. You had guys taking flight courses in Teterborough Airport in NJ who wanted to know how to fly but not land a plane. WTF? And you let them take the course? "Yeah, that's normal. A lot of pilots don't know how to land." but.. "OH MY GOD!! That child just shot a Seperatist Genoshian in Star Wars Battlefront in the head with a fucking weapon that doesn't even exist!! BAN THAT GAME IT'S TEACHING HIM HOW TO SNIPE IMAGINARY PEOPLE THAT AREN'T EVEN HUMAN!!!! HE'S GOING TO KILL SOMEONE!!!!"

"Hey, look at that. Some plane just flew into one of the Twin Towers."

"Yeah, cause that guy didn't know how to land. It's ok."

Hey I know, instead of sending new recruits to Basic and AIT training let's just allow them to play Quake IV and D00M 3 and Socom and Splinter Cell. It'll be cheaper than actually training a soldier how to kill and you get teh same results by letting them kill things that don't exist. Even better. give all the soldiers in Iraq chainsaws and tell them they are god and let them loose on the streets of Bahgdad. We'll win for sure because most of those kids grew up playing D00M and that's why they are so good at killing the enemy. It's not because they were trained to kill in the military it's because they played video games like Sonic The Fucking Hedgehog and Super Mario Brothers. That's why they learned to throw grenades so well is because they learned how to pick up those stupid little Beets from Super Mario Brother's 2 and toss them at the Goombahs.

We need to ban that game and Contra. Along with Half-Life 2, D00M 3 abd GTA. Cause its teaching our kids to be murderers.

Now if you'll excuse me. I have to go back to training to kill humans by wiping out the Strogg with a Hyperblaster. Cause both of them exist dammit!!!
:rolleyes:
 

Darkstar850

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 18, 2004
Messages
1,308
lethial said:
I bet someone is out there trying to prove that terrorists are all master CS, BF2 <insert violent video game name here> players.... :eek:

OMG they have hacks! :D
 

Prim3

Gawd
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Messages
926
Porn is good... So is Violence... Porn and Violence all you need in life!


No, really, It's just that if it something differs from honestly a small sect of christians, they go on a front to get everything changed so it is out of sight, out of mind. The reason why you don't see the general mass up in arms is either, they are parenting themselves, they don't get give a rats ass or they agree. I am not trying to bash any believers, it's just a small portion that feel they have to govern everyone becuase they don't like it. It is the same with the militant athiest it's a 2 way street. I think there should be some kind of rule enforcment but there does not need to be censorship like the acts kinda leaning to. If the businesses would just enforce the current ERSB, problem solved.

I don't need the government telling me, what is good for me, what isn't good for me, killing someone is wrong, killing someone is good, buying booze is bad, buying booze is good. My parents/family did a good job of showing me what I need to know and what to carry for morals. If these parents of these kids would beat the living shit out of their kids, they wouldn't get out of line. Discpline = good parenting. Not doing shit = bad. Trust me, out of all my bros/sisters I was the one that got spared in the punishments but I did get a good ol wooden switch to the ass or a belt couple times. That shit will make any kid fly straight knowing, if you do something bad, there is a punishment too it. Poeple need to get back to their roots and get involved with their kids and manage them their selves.

edit: hit the sumbit on accident.
 
Joined
Oct 14, 2004
Messages
1,020
I think this whole issue stems from a bunch of people, let's call them the "safety police", that believe that the government should control just one more aspect of our daily lives so that they don't have to put out any effort on their part to raise their kids properly. I get so sick of these "there oughtta be a law" types.

I own and enjoy over two dozen firearms and I play such "killographic" games as BF2 and Call of Duty 2 all the time. I guess that means I'm just one step away from murdering a bunch of people at a shopping mall :rolleyes: . Even though I have never even been arrested and am finishing up a degree in English literature....I...must....KILL! ;)
 

Da Frechman

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 21, 2005
Messages
175
IMO, these people are fighting to use TV and other types of entertainment as a form of peer leadership influence (heh, a form of mass mind control) rather then... well... entertainment.

Both real fiction and the pretend type share a single goal of money. One relies on a the pretense of entertainment and the other ties the viewers self-esteem with the success of a product/political party/other. One works from the viewers assumption of fiction and the other seeks to hide that very fact.

The moral “outrage” is protectionism and a betrayal of trust (see 4).
 

lethial

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Messages
149
Da Frechman said:
IMO, these people are fighting to use TV and other types of entertainment as a form of peer leadership influence (heh, a form of mass mind control) rather then... well... entertainment.

Both real fiction and the pretend type share a single goal of money. One relies on a the pretense of entertainment and the other ties the viewers self-esteem with the success of a product/political party/other. One works from the viewers assumption of fiction and the other seeks to hide that very fact.

The moral “outrage” is protectionism and a betrayal of trust (see 4).

Slightly OT, but on "Morality"
http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/archive/dilbert-20051128.html <--dilbert 11/28/2005
 

Da Frechman

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 21, 2005
Messages
175
lethial said:

Thankfully this is still trump, though degrading fast on the pr0n front.


"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation." Some real nasty person said that once
 

I'm the Dude man

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 21, 2002
Messages
1,444
vanquished said:
surely certain games have certain immoral issues surrounding it. For example, should we let our children shoot people in the head in F.E.A.R then watch their heads roll off? Some games even give children to fight against a certain nationality of people. Is that kind of exposure moral?

Absolutely. It prepares the youth to go off to distant lands and fight and kill. If we're sending our guys to war, then a game simulating war is absolutely moral. I would argue.
 

jellyhead

Gawd
Joined
Jun 28, 2004
Messages
723
Moose777 said:
Humanity is naturally violent

Much as I'd like to disagree, I believe you're right. Even Christians kill. Maybe if we arranged for the whole planet to take a day trip to the moon we could sort out a lot of issues. Being able to observe Earth from such a vantage point might instill the ideal that we are all (most of us, thankfully) just one head, two eyes, 4 limbs etc.

Anyway, back on subject - the only time I want to kill anyone is when I do badly in a game! Conversely when I do well (most of the time) ;) I couldn't be a nicer person to be around :D
 

Daishiknyte

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 24, 2004
Messages
333
One of the craziest and funniest parts of the whole games=violence are the games developed by the US military. Would anyone else find it hilarious to have the army be on the receiving end of all this bullshit because of Americas Army, a game that they have developed?

Why did you kill the guy and where did you learn how?
Americas Army.....

Hello world, but that game taught me more about weapons and how they actually should be used along with tactics than any other game out there.


Daishi
 

jubei

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 4, 2004
Messages
466
The ironic things is that most often you will find that most people supporting the downfall of porn watch it themselves. And you can find a good deal of that group also engaging in illegal sex acts (prostitution, etc.). I mean, how many times have we seen on the news that senator blah blah or reverend blah blah was arrested for picking up a prostitute? Personally, I find that all of this is more driven by their own guilt for wanting to or doing the things that they want outlawed or put under heavy restrictions.

Also, didn't the government pay for the creation and distribution of America's Army? Leading by example is not this government's strong point it would seem.
 

0810

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 13, 2005
Messages
2,779
The parents who don't let their kids watch violent movies or play violent games obviously don't beat their child.

Also, I think horrific rap music influences kids more than games do. Kids know games are games, but most rappers sing about songs based on their life. And the "Parental Adivisory" sticker is pretty much useless.
 

Ice Czar

Inscrutable
Joined
Jul 8, 2001
Messages
27,174
as strange as this may sound, someone reported this thread :p

the ruling is, this is one of the most well behaved and insightful "on topic" threads Ive recently seen in this forum ;)

relativism seems to scare some people (and all governments :p )
 
Joined
Oct 2, 2003
Messages
680
This is just another way of people not wanting to take responsability. If parents actually took the time to find out what a movie is about or what a game is about and could actually discuss it with their children the world would be a much better place. But most parents are lazy, instead of talking with their children and being involved in their lives they'd rather have somebody else be the bad guy.

Do I believe they should censor games, not at all. I believe though that 5 year olds should not be beating up whores and playing FPS. As a parent you should know how your child will respond to certain things, like violence. Which is why communication is the key. No matter how strict a parent is and how much they limit their childs access to violent movies and games, the first time that child spends the night at another house with parents who allow their children access to such things they'll be exposed to it, and probably be more into it because they are so sheltered. It's up to parents to talk about it with their children, especially when they are younger. It's the very reason that teen pregnancy is so out of control, because you have kids out there who were never taught about sex who think if they stand on their head after sex, or douche with cola, or have sex around their periods they can't get pregnant, instead of having the correct information they rely on what their friends think and other mis-information

The only answer is for parents to take some responsability and talk with their children.
 

0810

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 13, 2005
Messages
2,779
bigbadgreen said:
The only answer is for parents to take some responsability and talk with their children.

And beat them.

(If you have seen Russell Peters, you'd get it, but, I do think its true) :D
 

vanquished

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 29, 2002
Messages
359
Prim3 said:
Porn is good... So is Violence... Porn and Violence all you need in life!


No, really, It's just that if it something differs from honestly a small sect of christians, they go on a front to get everything changed so it is out of sight, out of mind. The reason why you don't see the general mass up in arms is either, they are parenting themselves, they don't get give a rats ass or they agree. I am not trying to bash any believers, it's just a small portion that feel they have to govern everyone becuase they don't like it. It is the same with the militant athiest it's a 2 way street. I think there should be some kind of rule enforcment but there does not need to be censorship like the acts kinda leaning to. If the businesses would just enforce the current ERSB, problem solved.

I don't need the government telling me, what is good for me, what isn't good for me, killing someone is wrong, killing someone is good, buying booze is bad, buying booze is good. My parents/family did a good job of showing me what I need to know and what to carry for morals. If these parents of these kids would beat the living shit out of their kids, they wouldn't get out of line. Discpline = good parenting. Not doing shit = bad. Trust me, out of all my bros/sisters I was the one that got spared in the punishments but I did get a good ol wooden switch to the ass or a belt couple times. That shit will make any kid fly straight knowing, if you do something bad, there is a punishment too it. Poeple need to get back to their roots and get involved with their kids and manage them their selves.

edit: hit the sumbit on accident.

I like you attitude :)

To be honest i don't see what the problem of porn is apart from turning us into horny men and lets be completely honest here. All men are horny.

I believe that violent computers games are a method to relieve the stress and angst of everyday life. Seriously, shooting aliens in the head and watchign their blood splat on the wall makes me feel better if i had had a bad day. I certainly don't feel as if violent games will turn me in a mass murdering genocidal ****head
 
Top