I just bought this display from Newegg. I've found this forum incredibly helpful, so I want to share my experience with this monitor with you for anyone that is looking for an affordable 23-24" IPS screen. I haven't found any mention of this here, so I figured it deserved a new topic.
Short version: you probably want to stay away.
I posted my (very) negative feedback on Newegg already, but since then I've found this video which shows the horrible purple glow I'm experiencing with this monitor. I'm sitting about 2.5 to 3 feet from the screen, and regardless of angles the glow dominates the corners (mostly the bottom corners when looking straight on). I'm running at 66% brightness, but the brightness level doesn't make any difference. I don't have a calibrator, but I've fiddled with the OSD colors to get white to look as 'white' as possible to my eye. It wouldn't be so bad if the glow was white, but purple is just so much worse and more distracting.
I bought this for a general purpose/casual gaming monitor, and the glow destroys dark scenes in movies and games. I'm a huge Mass Effect fan, and all I can see walking around the Normandy is the damn purple corners.
What good I can say about it is that the response time is fine for casual gaming (little blurry, but it doesn't greatly detract from the experience). The AG coating isn't as aggressive as it is on my 17" XPS laptop, but it is noticeable. The color and viewing angles for non-dark stuff doesn't suffer horribly from the purple-shift, but it is noticeable. I also don't notice any backlight flickering at lower brightness.
I wonder if Newegg would take it back without a restocking fee. I'd be willing to spend $400+ if I was confident I'd be getting a great display, but I'll probably not roll the dice on a Korean import or something with horrible BLB reputation without a seller guarantee (Otherwise I might as well just stick with this). Any suggestions for a 23/24" replacement?
Short version: you probably want to stay away.
I posted my (very) negative feedback on Newegg already, but since then I've found this video which shows the horrible purple glow I'm experiencing with this monitor. I'm sitting about 2.5 to 3 feet from the screen, and regardless of angles the glow dominates the corners (mostly the bottom corners when looking straight on). I'm running at 66% brightness, but the brightness level doesn't make any difference. I don't have a calibrator, but I've fiddled with the OSD colors to get white to look as 'white' as possible to my eye. It wouldn't be so bad if the glow was white, but purple is just so much worse and more distracting.
I bought this for a general purpose/casual gaming monitor, and the glow destroys dark scenes in movies and games. I'm a huge Mass Effect fan, and all I can see walking around the Normandy is the damn purple corners.
What good I can say about it is that the response time is fine for casual gaming (little blurry, but it doesn't greatly detract from the experience). The AG coating isn't as aggressive as it is on my 17" XPS laptop, but it is noticeable. The color and viewing angles for non-dark stuff doesn't suffer horribly from the purple-shift, but it is noticeable. I also don't notice any backlight flickering at lower brightness.
I wonder if Newegg would take it back without a restocking fee. I'd be willing to spend $400+ if I was confident I'd be getting a great display, but I'll probably not roll the dice on a Korean import or something with horrible BLB reputation without a seller guarantee (Otherwise I might as well just stick with this). Any suggestions for a 23/24" replacement?