Viewsonic VP201B 20.1" 16ms LCD "Mini-Review"

slacK said:
Yes, and while the effect is more pronounced (not obvious because the focus is a bit off), that is what it looks like.

The pictures I took were far worse because I was in super-macro; the lens was literally on the screen. To those who were freaked out because of those 2001FP pics, the VP201 looks exactly the same. Those images, again, were likely taken from VERY close range. Even now looking at the images I took I still can't believe they turned out so bad.. because I look right back and the monitor and the effect shown in the pictures is not even noticeable. If you recall, the pictures looked like the screen had "blocky" or square pixels. My pics turned out exactly the same, yet the screen at regular viewing distance bares no resemblance.

I hope that puts a few of you at ease.

I'm still debating about this monitor, i'm glad this is a "normal" effect of this monitor. I do not plan to game on it since i have a crt for that. My primary use will be "general" stuff, email, web browser, i.e. Also some photo editing, nothing professional just some personal stuff.

I'm looking at the Samsung 213T but it's a few hundred more dollars here in Canada where i am anyway. Still not sure whether it is worth the extra money. I guess it's really a matter of can i get used to the effect. I have about 10 more days before the deadline to return it has past.

Any thoughts on the 213t?

UB

I just got my system up and running a couple days ago. See my post above for my specs, but let me be very clear - this display is amazing! It is one of the best, if not the best, LCD I have personally used. Over the past couple days I've been playing UT 2004, Call of Duty, and Doom 3 on it and all at 1600 x 1200.

My video card is an BFG 6800GT OC. I'm running everything @ 1600x1200.

Beautiful display, crisp bright colors.

unbreakable98 said:
I'm still debating about this monitor, i'm glad this is a "normal" effect of this monitor. I do not plan to game on it since i have a crt for that. My primary use will be "general" stuff, email, web browser, i.e. Also some photo editing, nothing professional just some personal stuff.

I'm looking at the Samsung 213T but it's a few hundred more dollars here in Canada where i am anyway. Still not sure whether it is worth the extra money. I guess it's really a matter of can i get used to the effect. I have about 10 more days before the deadline to return it has past.

Any thoughts on the 213t?

UB
lol, you are in the exact same position I was about one week ago. In fact, I started a topic that closely resembles your post a while back. A good source for first-hand info about the 213T would be BillR because he has been using this monitor for somewhere around two months I believe. From what I've gathered, he highly recommends it. As far as image quality between the VP201 and 213T I can't really help you, being that I've only seen the 213T at Best Buy while flashing it's now burned-in yellow advertisement. What I have heard is that the 213T reporduces color more accurately and, therefore, is quite useful for photo work - so if that's your thing.. you may want to look into the Samsung.

I'm no LCD expert, but I do have an eye for aesthetics and I'm not sure how colors could get much better than the Viewsonic. I cycled through all the wallpapers on my pc when I first booted up simply because they all looked like different images on this monitor (going from a Viewsonic CRT). It really is that big of a difference. Hopefull Bill will swing through this thread again, otherwise you can just PM him.

For me, the $899 free shipping VP201 at www.MonitorsDirect.com was the right choice. Their service was prompt, and they have a great risk-free return policy if you are a little hesitant about dead pixels, DOA, etc. Much like yourself, I will also be doing a fair amount of GFX editing, video editing, net browsing, movie watching, and text compiling on this monitor. In addition to being able to do that, I wanted the ability to game on it for the few and far-between LAN (that 19" CRT is a !#%!# to haul around!) Thus far, it hasn't dissapointed me in the least.

I appreciate the input about the "screen door effect" the more i look at the display i actually see it more as fine horizontal lines on the whole display. Mostly on light grays and on some photo's.

Is this still the same effect?

I'm still trying to adjust, since i really don't want to have to return it.

UB

Yah, I have the same Screen door effect as well, but I can't notice it when watching movies or gaming. I got use to it and it doesn't bother me anymore...but I can confirm that it's there (though it's pretty easy to get use to once you stop looking for it every time you sit down at your computer).

-poops

How far do you folks have to be from the screen before the SDE disappears? Unfortunately you're going to have this same issue on just about any LCD, so if moving it back a few inches gets rid of it that might be your only solution aside from going back to CRTs until the fill rates on LCDs are even higher.

Hi there ,Got me monitor today and what a great one it is . I love this LCD .
Gameing is just amazing no ghosting any where ,3D max modeling no Ghosting on any thing when being move around the screen ,Unless I am just blined and can not see it but if it was there I would see it and say .

Found one dead picy but no big deal really as its only on the red and other colors work fine green and blue ,But as i was saying this is one cool LCD and I am going to get another one now for the other computer .

There is one thing that i can not work out thou ,And that is this on my new computer i have at the moment a geforce fx 5900 which lets me use 1600x1200 on DVI ,And the old computer it only lets me use 1200x1024 with 15pin d geforce 4400.

Why is that ?.....

thanks guys

To the people who are seeing the screen door or faint white/grey horizontal lines:

Try selecting "use lower refresh for high resolution displays" in the GFX card menus. The ATI drivers have it. Unsure about Nvidia. It reduces it by a great deal.

spark said:
To the people who are seeing the screen door or faint white/grey horizontal lines:

Try selecting "use lower refresh for high resolution displays" in the GFX card menus. The ATI drivers have it. Unsure about Nvidia. It reduces it by a great deal.
Did nothing.

askimo said:
Still looking some answers to my backlight problems. I did call Viewsonic directly and they said this is normal, but I don't think so. Actually the problem is getting even worst because some light shadows appear across the center of the panel. Definitely I will return this monitor.

Somebody knows if the Benq 20" use the same panel?

I recently got my VP201b and its almost fantastic. The brightness and colours are great and the screen door or whatever does not bother me at all. Another thing does though: I find that when i put on a blank black screen saver and turn of room light, the screen is not homogenously black. Both the upper left and right corner are brighter than the rest of the screen. :( This is ofcourse terribly annoying when playing dark games. Askimo describes the same problem. I have attached a picture from my cell phone, bad quality but it shows the bright corners as they are.

Is it normal or is it just my screen? :confused:

Cheers

VP201b-corners.jpg

Traktor, just happened to see your post... my VP201B has an area of light about the size of a dime or nickel in the very upper right hand corner. And if I look real hard (in the dark of course) I have another little area in the upper left corner. I always game in the dark, and doom3 is about the darkest game I play, and I never notice the light in it. Just thought I would let you know. However, I do know at least one other user has reported the same thing as you. I don't understand that :confused:.

Is anyone else having the same problem as Traktor?

Traktor said:
I recently got my VP201b and its almost fantastic. The brightness and colours are great and the screen door or whatever does not bother me at all. Another thing does though: I find that when i put on a blank black screen saver and turn of room light, the screen is not homogenously black. Both the upper left and right corner are brighter than the rest of the screen. :( This is ofcourse terribly annoying when playing dark games. Askimo describes the same problem. I have attached a picture from my cell phone, bad quality but it shows the bright corners as they are.

Cheers

Yikes, I'd get that RMA'd ASAP. Much like sandman, I have to strain to see the backlight coming through in the upper right hand corner of my VP201. However, mine isn't NEARLY that bad. The screen and room have to be perfectly black, and even then I can BARELY see it. That definately doesn't look normal.

Ya, that is bad. All three of my LCDs have a small amount of backlight leakage but nothing even close to that. I'd definitely consider a return.

Traktor said:

Cheers

VP201b-corners.jpg

That’s exactly the same problem that I was trying to describe with my monitor, but mine was even worst. I have bright areas in the top corners and the center. I did return it two weeks ago, and the BB return policy didn't convince me to get another one right away. I just waiting to visit another BB and get another one to see if the problem persists

Thanks for the responses! :)

I find that the problem is worst when the screen has been on for several hours. I suspect that the phenomenon is correlated to the heating of the screen (my screen gets hot mainly on the upper edge).

When the screen is turned on after having been off for some hours (cool), I also only find smaller patches of backlight (dime size).

Have you checked your screens when they have been on for some hours?

Traktor said:

I find that the problem is worst when the screen has been on for several hours. I suspect that the phenomenon is correlated to the heating of the screen (my screen gets hot mainly on the upper edge).

When the screen is turned on after having been off for some hours (cool), I also only find smaller patches of backlight (dime size).

Well, I've gamed, browsed forums, watched anime and let it render a GPU intensive screensaver for over 8 hours and didn't notice anything like that.

EDIT: AND I'm on the 8th floor of the dorms so it gets hot as !@#@ up here ;) I'd really look to get it exchanged. Believe me, this monitor is worth the hassle.

Traktor said:

No difference here, the bright spots were there regardless the hours working

I just recieved my VP201S over the weekend. I went ont eh godo reviews here and from that gamer review site in the orignal thread starter.

Packaging was awesome and secure. I bought it from Newegg, no problems and had it over night delivery.

Out of box expression? OMG W-O-W! In games and windows xp usage.

Blackness is very black and its night 'n day vs. a CRT. Very hard to go back to a CRT now.

Backlight mainly uniform, 1 super tiny dead pixal in the bottom right corner near the clock taskbar area.

Screendoor effect? I dont see it at all!

Colors? very good, no problems.

Ghosting? Yes there is ghosting, minimal but there. I notice it ALOT in Doom3, very annoying.

Sample games I've tried:
Doom 3 - Looks amazing, but i see ghosting.
Tribes Vengance - Rock solid, no ghosting I can see
SW: Galaxies - Very nice, but minor ghosting.
World Of Warcraft - Very lush and colorful, must see to beleive. no ghosting really
Farcry - jaw dropping, no real ghosting I can see

I use Windows XP in 1280x960 and its ROCKS, very good quality.

fast scrolling of websites up n down = ghosting
same as bove but slow, you can notice minor ghosting.

VERY sturdy, looks great cosmeticlly. Nice clean easy to use GUI controls.

BUT I have a problem. Im pretty much stuck with this LCD now, can't return without a huge restocking fee if I wanted to.

I get that "Video Tearing" issue. I have triplebuffering enabled and V-Sync ON. but when I move around I get split frames in games. I can't increase my refresh rate above 60hz. I sthere anything I can do to fix this? Happens in all my games. I have a BFG 6800 OC via DVI output to LCD. I play all my games in 1600x1200, a couple in 1280x960... both rez show this problem.

Wow... a long post!

I am basically driving myself mad. Last night I went to bed with the opinion "Darn straight! I am getting the VP201. It has a newer technology panel, tighter dot pitch... fast response time, and is cheaper than the 213T"

Now I am all wish-washy again. With such a huge amount of money involved I really don't want to make the wrong decision.

Does anyone know if the VP201 is a 24-bit panel (8-bit per subpixel)?

So far here is what the 213T has going for it:
+ I have seen it at Circuit City and it blew me away. Wow what a monitor!
+ I haven't heard anyone report screen door effect
+ I guess picture quality is basically unrivaled.
+ Has an extra 1.2" of screen over the VP201.
+ I guess the backlight is very uniform.
+ It is by samsung and they ahve a good reputation.
- Would cost a little over $100 more
- Slower response time. Seeing I am not a serious gamer (less than 4 hours a week) this isnt a big deal I guess.
- It is by samsung and I sort of want to boycott them because of the 193P (no linux support)

This is what the VP201 has going for it:
+ Lots of good reviews saying it one of, if not the, best LCD on the market right now.
+ It is by viewsonic and doesn't use a samsung panel (see boycott post above) Plus viewsonic has a very good reputation.
+ it is cheaper
+ it uses S-IPS panel which is a newer technology than the panel in the 213T
+ A lot of reviews and owners have gotten a VP201 without any dead pixels
+ Tighter dot pitch.
+ USB Ports
+ Better ergonomics (height and pivot work better from reviews)
- Screen door effect seems like a more common problem?
- Some users have had trouble with the backlight.
- 11% smaller screen area.

CRAZY!!! I am going crazy!!! I look up through the list and they all almost cancel each other out. I wish I could use them side by side. I really don't want to order one and send it back because I am not happy with it (unfair ro retailer)

Heck I have even considered giving up on the idea of an LCD and just go buy a $100 17" CRT from staples. muahahaha!

I am slowly going crazy, 5 4 3 2 1 switch! HELP ME!!! ARG....... groans of despair..... twitching.... foaming at the mouth.... panic.... waking up in puddle of own saliva.

I' m also considering buying the VP 201, but having read most part of this thread, I think I'd rather go for the Samsung 213. The size, the prize and the image quality speaks for the Samsung, and since I'm into graphics rather than gaming…

However there are other 20" displays that are giving me sleepless nights: Formac 2010 ("stellar image quality" and good performance but the old style Mac G4-look), Eizo L885 (allways "best in test" and recommended by graphic pros, looks really ugly though), Apple 20" Cinema Display (best image quality and performance (!?) but only 1050 px high. Besides, it cost more).

Any suggestions?

Here is what appears to be the forumer concensus based on what is most important:

Gaming - VP201(B or S) or the Dell 2001FP, though the viewsonic seems to be the better of the two.

Graphics/image quality - Samsung 213T

Size - HP f2304 23" 16ms response (though it's the same price as 2 VP201's

If you want the best of all worlds, your pretty fucked as LCD technology is good right now, but not perfected as every monitor has to sacrafice something to achieve higher performance in certain area's.

Make your decisions accordingly and either way I'm sure you'll be happy. I spend most of my time gaming so I went with the VP201B. That's my reccomendation comming from a gamer.

-poops

poopman said:
Here is what appears to be the forumer concensus based on what is most important:

Gaming - VP201(B or S) or the Dell 2001FP, though the viewsonic seems to be the better of the two.

Graphics/image quality - Samsung 213T

Size - HP f2304 23" 16ms response (though it's the same price as 2 VP201's

If you want the best of all worlds, your pretty fucked as LCD technology is good right now, but not perfected as every monitor has to sacrafice something to achieve higher performance in certain area's.

Make your decisions accordingly and either way I'm sure you'll be happy. I spend most of my time gaming so I went with the VP201B. That's my reccomendation comming from a gamer.

-poops

I am in an interesting situation where I spend most of time writting code, looking at web pages etc. And a few (maybe 3 or 4) hours per week playing games. So I fall smack dab in between both monitors.

swinchen said:
Wow... a long post!

I am basically driving myself mad. Last night I went to bed with the opinion "Darn straight! I am getting the VP201. It has a newer technology panel, tighter dot pitch... fast response time, and is cheaper than the 213T"

Now I am all wish-washy again. With such a huge amount of money involved I really don't want to make the wrong decision.

Does anyone know if the VP201 is a 24-bit panel (8-bit per subpixel)?

So far here is what the 213T has going for it:
+ I have seen it at Circuit City and it blew me away. Wow what a monitor!
+ I haven't heard anyone report screen door effect
+ I guess picture quality is basically unrivaled.
+ Has an extra 1.2" of screen over the VP201.
+ I guess the backlight is very uniform.
+ It is by samsung and they ahve a good reputation.
- Would cost a little over $100 more
- Slower response time. Seeing I am not a serious gamer (less than 4 hours a week) this isnt a big deal I guess.
- It is by samsung and I sort of want to boycott them because of the 193P (no linux support)

This is what the VP201 has going for it:
+ Lots of good reviews saying it one of, if not the, best LCD on the market right now.
+ It is by viewsonic and doesn't use a samsung panel (see boycott post above) Plus viewsonic has a very good reputation.
+ it is cheaper
+ it uses S-IPS panel which is a newer technology than the panel in the 213T
+ A lot of reviews and owners have gotten a VP201 without any dead pixels
+ Tighter dot pitch.
+ USB Ports
+ Better ergonomics (height and pivot work better from reviews)
- Screen door effect seems like a more common problem?
- Some users have had trouble with the backlight.
- 11% smaller screen area.

CRAZY!!! I am going crazy!!! I look up through the list and they all almost cancel each other out. I wish I could use them side by side. I really don't want to order one and send it back because I am not happy with it (unfair ro retailer)

Heck I have even considered giving up on the idea of an LCD and just go buy a $100 17" CRT from staples. muahahaha!

I am slowly going crazy, 5 4 3 2 1 switch! HELP ME!!! ARG....... groans of despair..... twitching.... foaming at the mouth.... panic.... waking up in puddle of own saliva.

this guy is thinking exactly what i am..last night i went to sleep thinking to myself the 213T is the one i want. today i was thinking more towards the viewsonic..but i cant decide anymore. i too, am going crazy over the decision because it is a big one that i cant afford to mess up :(

firey-eyez said:
this guy is thinking exactly what i am..last night i went to sleep thinking to myself the 213T is the one i want. today i was thinking more towards the viewsonic..but i cant decide anymore. i too, am going crazy over the decision because it is a big one that i cant afford to mess up :(

I did the EXACT same thing. I was trying to decide for weeks. I was ordering other stuff too, but I was thinking about the monitor the most. I would even "add to cart", and get right up to "submit order", and then back down. Finally, I decided to order, but that didn't stop the uncertainty. But I had my lcd shipped next day air (which I now admit after seeing others have done it), and I'm glad I did, because as soon as my monitor arrived, and I got to see it and use it, everything was great :D.

Good luck shopping. (to everyone still deciding)

sandman78 said:
I did the EXACT same thing. I was trying to decide for weeks. I was ordering other stuff too, but I was thinking about the monitor the most. I would even "add to cart", and get right up to "submit order", and then back down. Finally, I decided to order, but that didn't stop the uncertainty. But I had my lcd shipped next day air (which I now admit after seeing others have done it), and I'm glad I did, because as soon as my monitor arrived, and I got to see it and use it, everything was great :D.

Good luck shopping. (to everyone still deciding)

Ok, here is a few questions sandman:

1) What factors made you decide in favor of the VP201?
2) Do you have any uncertainty at this point? or are you positive that you made the correct decision?

i *think* ive come to the conclusion that i want the viewsonic..i thought about it for a great deal of time and i think the viewsonic overall is the better choice because..
1) its slightly cheaper
2) has a much faster response time and is therefore better for gaming. although i dont play the amainzgly fast FPSs i ocasionally like to play one for an hour or two so thatll be good to have
3) it is more adjustable
4) it scales down in res much better. although i really have no idea how the samsung is at this i assume that if it was as good as or better than the viewsonic it would be capitalized as much as it is for the viewsoinc because the vp201b is virtually the only LCD that ive heard of that can scale down well
i really dont know which one ill end up getting becuase by tomorrow this time i migth be wanting the samsung again...argh IM SO CONFUSED!!!

To the OP: For us Graphic Designers and 3d Animators out there, would you suggest your Viewsonic or the Dell 2001FP putting into consideration color and whatnot over what looks like a not-to-obvious ghosting?

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but Costco is selling a rebranded 201. Its the Viewsonic VP2000. Goes for $899. Its missing the usb hub and only has a 1 year warranty but the specs are exactly the same. Might be worth a shot given Costco's fantastic return policy.

swinchen said:
Ok, here is a few questions sandman:

1) What factors made you decide in favor of the VP201?
2) Do you have any uncertainty at this point? or are you positive that you made the correct decision?

#1- When I decided on the VP201 there was basically NO information out there about it, and I never saw anyone post about it either.(That's why I did the "Mini Review" and started this thread) But based on what little I could find about the VP201, I liked. But still yet, I still took a gamble considering that I couldn't find any owners of one to see how they liked it. The response time was a factor also, because even tho I didn't game that much (hardly at all), I still wanted it because WHEN and IF I did play games.. I wanted them to look as good as possible. Plus I knew it would bug me if I didn't have the 16ms response time, when I knew I could have had it. That's just the way I am :D. But I will add that since then I have become addicted to Call of Duty, and the new expansion pack for it.. United Offensive. At 1600x1200 that game looks AWESOME. So because of that I'm really glad I decided on the VP201. It's rare for me to get into a game, but when I do, I want it to play and look good. Viewsonic's long standing reputation is also a reason I decided on the VP201 and plus I really liked the overall looks of the VP201 also. The thin bezel design and the stand look really good. But I spend most of my time in programs such as Fireworks, Publisher, Word, and the VP201 is great for everything. I just sold my Canon 10D digital slr because I haven't had the time to take any pictures, but I still use photoshop off and on for some things. So I am very happy with my VP201B.

#2- I have ZERO uncertainty now (refer to answer #1 :D), and I know I made the right decision. Like I said in my review, if I didn't like it, it wouldn't be on my desk :D .

I know it can be difficult to make decisions sometime, but good luck deciding. And don't drive yourself too crazy :D, it's not worth it.

Well.... I did it. I ordered the VP201B from www.buy.com.

Should be here in 2 or 3 days.

*wipes the sweat from his palms...* darn that is a lot of money for a monitor!

I ordered one too.

chose between vp201s, 193p, vx910

Seems to have a good balance between all apects. Pretty good for games, pretty good viewing angles, pretty good scaling for other resolutions, pretty good colors and brightness, good case with thin sides.

I'll be happy as long as it isn't lacking severely in any of those categories.

Congrats you two! Fill us in on your journey into the beautiful world of the VP201 once you've got it on your desk~

You may not be totally devoid of apprehension about your purchase right now, but all that will be gone soon :cool:

i just got my VP201s today from Staples (i'm a canadian, so dunno if there's the same store in the US). Unfortunately, after using it for 2 days, i found 3 dead pixels: one at top right-hand corner, one in the middle, and one down at bottom right-hand corner. I can't really see these dead pixels unless i turn off my bedroom light and look VERY closely .... coz these dead pixels are SOOOOO damn small. however, since all of u guys seem to have no-to-one dead pixel, i wonder if u guys suggest that i should go exchange for a new one?

adamlee21 said:
Unfortunately, after using it for 2 days, i found 3 dead pixels: one at top right-hand corner, one in the middle, and one down at bottom right-hand corner.

Don't scare me like that you little bugger! :) heh mine doesn't get here until tomorrow!!!!

But to answer your question... if you have a hard time noticing them.... why return it?

Is it something that is going to bug you a lot? (It would probably bug the living crap out of me)

Hello there, its my first post on this board & I have really enjoyed what I have read so far,
I to purchased the vp201 about 2 weeks ago upgrading from a samsung 912n, & all I can
say is wow! this monitor is absolutely incredible. As Graphic Designer for the past 14 years
working on a ton of different monitors Crt's, Lcd's ETC. I must say this is the cats meow!
I know the colour is not 100% accurate but I can live with that, but what I really like is the rotating screen as its axcellent for presentation & just awesome for web browsing. I don't play alot of games but the ones that I have tried Doom 3 of course, Call of Duty, Far Cry & Painkiller have been nothing short of jawdropping & I haven't experienced any ghost imaging at all. When I bought this monitor it was setup directly beside a Samsung 213T & the first thing I noticed was how much better picture the vp201 had & for and inch & half difference and 450 dollars it made my decision much easier., in fact out of all the LCD's that were on display which included Samsung, BenQ, Hp with about 30 in total the vp201's colour & clarity stood oout the most by far. I was in freaking Heaven when I saw it, & don't have any regrets about the purchase whats so ever. GamePc has an excellent article on this monitor & they do state that it could very well be the best LCD monitor ever. Cheers & have fun with it.

johnnyboo said:
Hello there, its my first post on this board & I have really enjoyed what I have read so far,
I to purchased the vp201 about 2 weeks ago upgrading from a samsung 912n, & all I can
say is wow! this monitor is absolutely incredible. As Graphic Designer for the past 14 years
working on a ton of different monitors Crt's, Lcd's ETC. I must say this is the cats meow!
I know the colour is not 100% accurate but I can live with that, but what I really like is the rotating screen as its axcellent for presentation & just awesome for web browsing. I don't play alot of games but the ones that I have tried Doom 3 of course, Call of Duty, Far Cry & Painkiller have been nothing short of jawdropping & I haven't experienced any ghost imaging at all. When I bought this monitor it was setup directly beside a Samsung 213T & the first thing I noticed was how much better picture the vp201 had & for and inch & half difference and 450 dollars it made my decision much easier., in fact out of all the LCD's that were on display which included Samsung, BenQ, Hp with about 30 in total the vp201's colour & clarity stood oout the most by far. I was in freaking Heaven when I saw it, & don't have any regrets about the purchase whats so ever. GamePc has an excellent article on this monitor & they do state that it could very well be the best LCD monitor ever. Cheers & have fun with it.

er did you just say that the VP201B has better picture quality than the 213T?? every review ive read has said that the 213T delivers better picture quality. interesting news..welcome btw

firey-eyez said:
er did you just say that the VP201B has better picture quality than the 213T?? every review ive read has said that the 213T delivers better picture quality. interesting news..welcome

For brightness & vivid colour yes......I spent about 2 hours carefuuly playing with both & the VP201b wins hands down IMO.

Back