Viewsonic VP201B 20.1" 16ms LCD "Mini-Review"

MagicConch said:
It is unusual some have this problem and some don't. I remember an audio receiver that had problems with some units and it turns out that the ones with the problems were made in China and those without were made in Sweden. Can you take a close up picture anyway? If there was a way to compare pic head to head with someone who sees the screen door we can see if it is subjective or a hardware problem in some units? Just an idea.

What I did about 2 weeks ago, or whenever it was, when I saw those pictures at the link above was I made folders on my desktop with the exact same names as the ones in the link above. Then I attempted to take PICS as close as I could. Well it didn't go so well. I have a Nikon 3MP digital camera, and it won't get anywhere near close enough to take a pic. I sold my Canon 10D Digital SLR a few months ago (some of that money bought the VP201B :D), and I wish I still had it to take these photos. The photos came out horribly blurred. I think if this camera had manual focus, I would be able to take a descent shot. Because when it attempts to focus, it either over focus's or under focus's. And I can't stop it! LOL :D So if Poopman or another owner in this thread could, I'd rather them take some shots. But if they can't, I will see what else I can come up with.

I just ordered a VP201b. Thanks sandman for the mini review, it helped me make up my mind.

i'm upgrading from a cheap 17"CRT.

woot! I can't wait to play games a use 3ds max with it.

Evoken said:
I just ordered a VP201b. Thanks sandman for the mini review, it helped me make up my mind.

i'm upgrading from a cheap 17"CRT.

woot! I can't wait to play games a use 3ds max with it.

I'm glad the "mini-review" helped. I continue to ask people who purchase the VP201 (S or B), to post their experiences in this thread. So if you would, please post in here after you get the monitor, and let us know how you like it. Coming from a 17" you're in for a treat :D. Is it just me, or does time slow down when you order something? :D Have fun!

I am in a dilemma... :confused:

Reading all this, I just gotta have this screen and at the moment it is the cheapest from the three on my 'wishlist' ... (this is not the dilemma part :p )

But how are the screens out-of-the-box? Do Viewsonic screens often contain dead pixels or is that rare with their screens?

It's just that I could buy one for 1018 Euros, without a pixelperfectguarantee or for 1189 Euros wíth the pixelperfectguarantee. That's about 170 Euros difference :eek: , which is quite a lot actually ... (could use it for my X800 XT piggy-bank!)

Did you guys all get perfect screens?

The one I got was perfect out of the box, no dead or stuck pixels at all.

It did have that screendoor effect, and I found that it caused a moire effect with some textures in some games.. I saw it quite a bit in BF1942 (which I still play a lot). That combined with the refresh rate prompted me to return it and go back to my 21" CRT.

It was funny though when I put my CRT back on, I couldn't believe how washed out and dull everything looked; my 21" CRT is definately in need of replacing. The VP201b was amazing in Windows; I've never seen anything look that good.

But it wasn't good enough for me in games, so back it went. I'll either get a 19" CRT for now, or try and coax this 21" along for a while until faster LCDs come out.

First of all, this is my first post although I always read this board before making a final decision on hardware. Thanks to OP for the review and to others posting thier thoughts here.

I ordered mine through Tiger DIrect, in which I always get very good service. Arrived on my door the next day. My previous monitor was the dell 1703FP. After hooking it up I find zero dead pixels and do not see the screen door which was a big fear of mine. I am currently sitting about 2 feet back and looking through my bifocals (yes...old)

I don't do any gaming although I would like to have the time to. I use this particular PC for photo editing, dvd authoring and graphic design. I ordered the EVGA 5700 Personal Cinema graphics card from NewEgg and is on the truck to me right now. I am quite interested in seeing how my captured HD cable channels display on this VP201B.

Blah blah...too much coffee! Anyway thanks to all for this great thread as I am quite sure I made a wise decision with this LCD. Kudos.

Brainsnack said:
I am in a dilemma... :confused:

Reading all this, I just gotta have this screen and at the moment it is the cheapest from the three on my 'wishlist' ... (this is not the dilemma part :p )

But how are the screens out-of-the-box? Do Viewsonic screens often contain dead pixels or is that rare with their screens?

It's just that I could buy one for 1018 Euros, without a pixelperfectguarantee or for 1189 Euros wíth the pixelperfectguarantee. That's about 170 Euros difference :eek: , which is quite a lot actually ... (could use it for my X800 XT piggy-bank!)

Did you guys all get perfect screens?

Brainsnack, when mine arrived from NewEgg it had zero dead pixels. The people you are talking about who have the VP201 for 1018 Euros... if they have a policy where they will replace the monitor if it has a set number of dead pixels (ex. 7 or more).. I'd say go that route. Because I think the odds are good that you will get the monitor in perfect shape. At worse maybe 2 dead pixels. But that's just me. Do what you feel comfortable with.

colonelmustard said:
Anyway thanks to all for this great thread as I am quite sure I made a wise decision with this LCD. Kudos.

Congrats on the new monitor! I think you DID make a wise decision :D. Keep us up-to-date on how everything goes with it!

S@nDmAn

Sgt_Strider said:
Don't think refresh rates matter for LCD's but correct me if I'm wrong.

Is refresh rate not linked to frames per second, or is that reponse rate?

spark said:
What is the refresh rate @ 1600x1200?

60Hz. But it is possible to override it to 75Hz using Powerstrip.

refresh rate will only lock your FPS if you use Vertical synch.

I got the VP201S from BB yesterday. No dead pixels, great I mean GREAT color saturation and no backdoor issues at all. However I found the backlight problem, which somebody discussed in the beginning of this threat, really annoying. You can detect the white spots under dark games like Doom3 (specially the top right corner where the transformer is located).
I'm coming from the CRT world and the black color in this monitor does not look like black; is like a light black. This problem makes me think that I should return this LCD, but I don't know if this problem is only with this monitor or is a technology limitation. Somebody knows if the LG model, which uses the same Viewsonic panel, has the same backlight problem? Is this a common issue in the LCD universe?

Just my grain of salt to this discussion

Ok posting from the new monitor and one thing that is really bugging me is that the text looks off in the lower resolutions. Is there anyway to fix it?

askimo said:
I got the VP201S from BB yesterday. No dead pixels, great I mean GREAT color saturation and no backdoor issues at all. However I found the backlight problem, which somebody discussed in the beginning of this threat, is really annoying. You can detect the white spots under dark games like Doom3 (specially the top right corner where the transformer is located).
I'm coming from the CRT world and the black color in this monitor does not look like black; is like a light black. This problem makes me think that I should return this LCD, but I don't know if this problem is only with this monitor or is a technology limitation. Somebody knows if the LG model, which uses the same Viewsonic panel, has the same backlight problem? Is this a common issue in the LCD universe?

Just my grain of salt to this discussion

That's strange about the backlight problem, towards the beginning of the thread we were only discussing the backlight because someone asked us about it specifically, because they had heard the 2001FP had that problem. But if I turn off all the lights in the room I can see a place about the size of a dime in the upper right corner. It's very faint, and you have to be really looking for it. The other person (shaferja), said he did notice a few spots where the backlight was a bit stronger, but he could only see this when he had all of his lights turned off. Depending on how bad it is, you might contact Viewsonic, just to make sure it's ok. Anyway, have fun with your new monitor! And keep us updated on how you like it (good or bad).

S@nDmAn

Is really difficult to explain the problem with words, but honestly it looks like those old laptop monitors when you have a black background. Is like having the backlight “super-bright”, so the black does not look like black is like white-black (milky-white). By the way, this issue is something that I just notice with the room lights off and complete black background or when I play dark games like Doom3.

Is any advantage/disadvantage in getting the LG model instead?

I have a question for the VP201 owners. When you first turn on the monitor do you notice a big difference in the black background when the backlight is on?

askimo said:
Is really difficult to explain the problem with words, but honestly it looks like those old laptop monitors when you have a black background. Is like having the backlight “super-bright”, so the black does not look like black is like white-black (milky-white). By the way, this issue is something that I just notice with the room lights off and complete black background or when I play dark games like Doom3.

Is any advantage/disadvantage in getting the LG model instead?

I think I know exactly what you're talking about. My older Dell Inspiron notebook (which I'm on right now) does it REALLY bad. My laptop even does it with certain wallpapers. It's so bad i don't even have to have the lights out to see it. It might be worth a call to VIewsonic or the retailer, because even with the lights out, I really have to look for it, and even then mine only has a little area about the size of a dime in the very upper right hand corner. Either way, I hope you get it resolved.

Well my VP201B arrived yesterday and since then I have been heavily debating which monitor to keep, the 213T or VP201B.

Here is a breakdown comparison of the 2:

213T:
  • Superior image quality and clarity in Windows/browsing the web, no screen door effect
  • When compared side to side, a noticably larger screen size (1.2 inches)
  • No dead pixels
  • Noticeable ghosting problems but only in certain games and only on certain levels (those with dark colors)

VP201B:
  • Absolutely no ghosting in any games
  • Slightly noticable screen door effect especially on light colors, but only when in Windows
  • Found a stuck green pixel in the middle of the screen
  • About $250 less
  • Slightly smaller screen

Well that is my comparison, and I still can't seem to make up my mind. I guess I need to decide what is more important to me, gaming or windows image quality. Any comments would be greatly welcome in helping me make my desicion.

I guess it depends on how much gaming you do and how much ghosting bothers you. For me ghosting doesn't really bother me at all, so I'm fine using a 25ms panel that looks very good otherwise.

Keep both? :D

Registrator said:
Well my VP201B arrived yesterday and since then I have been heavily debating which monitor to keep, the 213T or VP201B.

Here is a breakdown comparison of the 2:

213T:
  • Superior image quality and clarity in Windows/browsing the web, no screen door effect
  • When compared side to side, a noticably larger screen size (1.2 inches)
  • No dead pixels
  • Noticeable ghosting problems but only in certain games and only on certain levels (those with dark colors)

VP201B:
  • Absolutely no ghosting in any games
  • Slightly noticable screen door effect especially on light colors, but only when in Windows
  • Found a stuck green pixel in the middle of the screen
  • About $250 less
  • Slightly smaller screen

Well that is my comparison, and I still can't seem to make up my mind. I guess I need to decide what is more important to me, gaming or windows image quality. Any comments would be greatly welcome in helping me make my desicion.
Registrator, the only thing holding me back from getting the 213T over the VP201 is the higher dotpitch of .27 mm (compared to the .25mm on the VS). I'll be doing a ton of photoshop work and media viewing on this monitor and I was wondering if you think the 213T is 'grainier' than the VP201. Thanks!

slacK,

My advice, ignore dot pitch.

If you are doing PhotoShop and media work I would go with the 213T. It is superiour to the VP201B in image quality. I can detect a screen door effect on the VP201B (in other words "graininess") but I can not detect any "graniness" on the 213T. So if you want the smoothest images go with the 213T. Now everything I am saying is limited to non gaming applications. When it comes to gaming, the VP201B is better.

So for you I would say get the 213T.

Yah, this is definetly probably more towards gamers. I can see why some of the high end graphics editors would like others better...but I'm a gamer. I play hours and hours of MMO's, FPS's and the like, as well as watch a lot of Anime on my machine so a low response is more important to me. Just my 2 cents why I thorougly enjoy this monitor.

poopman said:
Yah, this is definetly probably more towards gamers. I can see why some of the high end graphics editors would like others better...but I'm a gamer. I play hours and hours of MMO's, FPS's and the like, as well as watch a lot of Anime on my machine so a low response is more important to me. Just my 2 cents why I thorougly enjoy this monitor.

Can I have my 2 cents back? :D

Still looking some answers to my backlight problems. I did call Viewsonic directly and they said this is normal, but I don't think so. Actually the problem is getting even worst because some light shadows appear across the center of the panel. Definitely I will return this monitor.

Somebody knows if the Benq 20" use the same panel?

I'm really thinking of getting this moniter, space on my desk isn't must and i have a small room so it'd work better than a 22" CRT. PCZone UK gave this moniter 90% (comming from a gaming mag thats a good score for a TFT)

I'm going to be running it with a 6800GT

Just i'm still uncertain about if i should or not. Is gaming good? Can i use DVI cable for the 1600x1200? been hearing that its not true digital (something about DVI only being able to do Digital upto 1280x1024)

Has anyone had any problems? like big ones? I would like to see some Screenies of BF:V or BF1942 if thats possible just to see what its like.

VooVoo read this thread (all the previous pages). You will find posts from people using 6800GT's talking about gaming with this monitor. I run Call of Duty at 1600x1200 with my 6800GT and it's awesome. Heck every game is great :D. But again, look back at previous posts.

EDIT: I don't have BF 1942 Installed. There are PICS of 3 different games in the 1st post, tho they look horrible compared to what it really looks like. A camera just can't do ANY monitor justice. Good luck.

Yeah i've read thru it, just sometimes its hard to belive that there isn't something bad about it :p

The screenies look nice, and if you say it doesn't do it justice i can't wait to get my hands on one if i do buy.

Just i hear alot of talk that CRTs are way better than TFT (never really been into the whole CRTvsTFT argument) But looking at your screenies it looks fine to me. Hows DVD playback?

VooVoo said:
Yeah i've read thru it, just sometimes its hard to belive that there isn't something bad about it :p

The screenies look nice, and if you say it doesn't do it justice i can't wait to get my hands on one if i do buy.

Just i hear alot of talk that CRTs are way better than TFT (never really been into the whole CRTvsTFT argument) But looking at your screenies it looks fine to me. Hows DVD playback?

Yeah even tho I used a tripod, etc.., the PICs don't even come close to showing the quality. I have only played a couple DVD's, but they looked great. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Cheers, well i read that review on 3dGamers and sounds pretty impressive, i'll let you know if i pick it up or not

EDIT: whats the best way to test for dead pixels?

Alright, I've summed enough money for the VP201. Have you guys spotted any good deals on them lately?

Evoken said:
...still waiting for mine to arrive.. :/ ghah!

slacK said:
Alright, I've summed enough money for the VP201. Have you guys spotted any good deals on them lately?

Sweet. Let us know when you all get your monitors. Have fun :D.

I just bought one from newegg.com I hope to have it sometime late in the week and I''ll be sure to post my thoughts on it as well...

great thread!

this is what happened:
i bought the vp201b on newegg with overnight delivery after reading good reviews on it.
then i read some bad reviews and was kind of nervous.
then i stumbled across your very down to earth review (which was last night before i had the monitor)
now i thank you on the monitor for reassuring me of the buy.
This is my first lcd and id recommend it w/o hesitation. ive used my friends before and many times in stores. Very good for gaming. no ghosting and very clear picture right out of the box. The only thing that suprised me a little was that it seemed more like 5:3 than 4:3 but it turned out fine. I guess crts are just a bit more 4:4/3:3.
Once again thanks sandman.
Edit:
after playing more of cs:source and cs, i can now say that the vp201b has excellent refresh rates and colors, but the issue of dark rooms being too dark is still present. This seems to be an issue with many lcd monitors and the vp201b still has it. Even with the brightness and gamma turned all the way up in the game and the brightness and contrast all the way up on the monitor, there will still be times when a corner of the room is completely pitch black when it shouldnt be. but i guess this is something id have to cope with.

Congrats m8!

If you could, I know everybody always love to see some pictures of this screen (in action when possible) and setup.

i think i may have to stick with my big ol crt til something mindblowing hits the streets. or not. just dont feel the need to spring on one of these yet, unless i can see one in action, but there arnt any around here that i know of, well maybe xan will have one :p

uhaulball said:
Once again thanks sandman.

No problem, I'm glad you're enjoying your new LCD!:D I'm also glad you are continuing to post and let others know how it's doing for you.

Back