[KFKAS]Death-Speak
[H]ard|Gawd
- Joined
- Mar 9, 2000
- Messages
- 1,609
Exactly.Torgo said:Ooooo.... bad example. That voice over job went to a LucasFilm employee, not a professional voice actor.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Exactly.Torgo said:Ooooo.... bad example. That voice over job went to a LucasFilm employee, not a professional voice actor.
jon_k said:About laziness... you are entitled to your opinion. It's an uninformed opinion, but an opinion the same. I wadger you don't know anyone who does acting for a living.
Irrelevant? How many times have you watched a movie with a date? How many times have you watched a funny TV show or movie and laughed your head off? How many times after seeing a good movie have you walked away and felt "damn that was awsome"? What about all the shows that Bob Hope used to do for the troops overseas? You think THAT is irrelevant?
now let me get this straight,you go to an interview,the employer says "you have the job. Here are the details and a contract. I will pay you to do this work. It is unique work but its MY work and if you desire to do it these are the conditions.Zorro said:I think you're mixing your legal debates. Voice overs have been an established form of intellectual property for decades, since well into the golden age of television and commercials. So, the precident exists that voices ARE a property that can be exchanged, regardless of the medium.
But, now you're saying an actor cannot be paid for work they didn't do, which isn't the issue at hand. The actors are trying to get residuals for THEIR work. I don't know why you brought up the issue of actors trying to get residuals for other people's work because that's not what the actors are complaining about.
Ryland said:Having someone do a specific voice for a specific product is one thing but saying that "you used your real voice in game X so you can't ever talk again" is BS.
BTW, according to your definition the IP laws don't apply. Voices are not products of human intellect...
Ryland said:Probably because they have to "apply" to a high number of "jobs" in a given year. Or at least thats my guess.
bonkrowave said:What is to stop an actor from getting a second job, or a job between acting gigs ?
You know like the rest of us do ?
You think they don't? If so, you're incredibly naive. Many do, however, that means a whole other can of worms. It requires maintaining at least two skillsets in an area of the US where parking your car might cost several hundred dollars a month and apartment rent could be $2,000+ a month on its own. Cost of living in the appropriate area to get work as an actor (often the US west coast) can be insanely high. A job waiting tables might cover it if you live with six of your closest friends.bonkrowave said:What is to stop an actor from getting a second job, or a job between acting gigs ?
You know like the rest of us do ?
Zorro said:Again, based on your comments it's clear that you have no idea how the acting industry works. Also, your comments look suspiciously like you didn't read the whole of my responses. First of all, those voice actors aren't doing one or two gigs and then sitting on their laurels. They're out there finding many gigs, often one right after the other. Because they don't have steady income, they are constantly having to find work. A thing like a head cold can mean the difference between fame and famine when you're living from paycheck to paycheck as most actors do. You say the actors have nothing to lose, that's patently false. The next 3 hour gig for $278/hr can mean they get to live in their apartment for another month, let alone having enough money to feed themselves or pay for health insurance of which they have none. I'm sure you can recognize the stress that can cause, so it's not like having to work 10+ hours a day is all that bad because you can be sure that you're going to have a home and food on the table. Plus, with a 6-digit job you can put aside money for a rainy day. Voice actors need their entire paycheck just to stay alive.
You're not going to understand this looking from the outside. I may be an actor, but I'm also a techie and the biggest difference between me and all of my acting friends is that I was never a starving artist. 10+ hours a day you say? Boo hoo hoo.
magoo said:now let me get this straight,you go to an interview,the employer says "you have the job. Here are the details and a contract. I will pay you to do this work. It is unique work but its MY work and if you desire to do it these are the conditions.
You sign the contract and do the work. Plain and simple. If you dont like the conditions of the contract then dont do the work. Its so silly, its like me saying...well I came to work yesterday and the company was profitable yesterday, so please pay me my share of that profit now for the work I did. (thats called owning stock in your business, not RESIDUALS)
Then the voice actors would go hungry because pretty much every contract has that clause in it. If you noticed, this is NOT why the actors are complaining about. That is part of the business. It is merely being used to show you that voice acting is more than just talking into a microphone. All you are doing here is introducing an argument that no one is arguing over.magoo said:now let me get this straight,you go to an interview,the employer says "you have the job. Here are the details and a contract. I will pay you to do this work. It is unique work but its MY work and if you desire to do it these are the conditions.
You sign the contract and do the work. Plain and simple. If you dont like the conditions of the contract then dont do the work. Its so silly, its like me saying...well I came to work yesterday and the company was profitable yesterday, so please pay me my share of that profit now for the work I did. (thats called owning stock in your business, not RESIDUALS)
LoneWolf said:You think they don't? If so, you're incredibly naive. Many do, however, that means a whole other can of worms. It requires maintaining at least two skillsets in an area of the US where parking your car might cost several hundred dollars a month and apartment rent could be $2,000+ a month on its own. Cost of living in the appropriate area to get work as an actor (often the US west coast) can be insanely high. A job waiting tables might cover it if you live with six of your closest friends.
It's so easy to spout "Get a job!" I think very few of us here understand everything going on in this situation. I don't know that the actors are entirely right...But I certainly think that plenty of the knee-jerk responses in this thread are wrong.
pwnx said:I don't think you understood my post either. VO actors and developers get paid for the worth they are on projects.
Zorro said:Don't blame me for the "BS." Those are the contracts that game developers are making voice actors sign. And since we both agree that's it BS, you're already on the side of the voice actors..
Zorro said:Um, dude... it's common knowledge that the voice qualities and similarities that make up Tony the Tiger, Bugs Bunny, Simpsons etc... are characterizations owned by their respective companies. And, did you not read that last bit at the end where it says "and more." That's because the crafters of that specific law recognize that IP will evolve as new ideas are introduced into the industry. It never used to be that programming code was IP. Programmers had to fight tooth and nail for that right. Actors have had it for decades and it's why they're so angry about not having all of the financial privileges of voice IP in the gaming industry.
Zorro said:I'm of the opinion that based on what I know of the crap that programmers are faced with, that they should strike as well.
on the contrary, I dont think that most of what you have said requires an intelligent reply. The whining has drown out most of the conversation. I think if you read most of my replies here there is one theme that stands out, if you dont like the conditions change them; dont be a pussy and cry FOUL because you "got a bum deal." its the same as taking your ball and going home because your team is losing. As ive said, if youre a big boy you read and sign the contracts to WORK FOR SOMEONE. THEY created the work not you (the techie/actor).Zorro said:Um... I'm also techie (like a career actor would be reading HardOCP) and I already have a job. But, it's nice of you to make assumptions due to your inability to make an argument more intelligent than "get a job."
No that is not true....if you own stock in you company you work hard for success. You dont whine about something you did in the past and expect more than your salary that you are given for the work you perform.Zorro said:It's silly? Your argument above is the same argument used by programmers to have IP rights to their programming code, and hence have the right to the subsequent residuals stemming from those programming code successes.
I'm glad you're beginning to see things my way, even if you won't admit it.![]()
please enlighten me....what beside more money for the same contractual work is the basis of this discussion????? I seem to understand precisely what this is about...."money for nothing" you too my friend can get a job.obs said:Then the voice actors would go hungry because pretty much every contract has that clause in it. If you noticed, this is NOT why the actors are complaining about. That is part of the business. It is merely being used to show you that voice acting is more than just talking into a microphone. All you are doing here is introducing an argument that no one is arguing over.
magoo said:The intellectual property you define is the UNIQUE character ie. logo that is merely represented by the voice behind it.
The creator of the character has the property rights not the voice over.
The voice does add to the uniqueness of the character but is a part of that whole and cannot be separated.
what are your dues each and every month? if you could negotiate seperately would you do better???
Ryland said:I understood the "point" that he was trying to make, I just didn't agree with it.
bonkrowave said:What is to stop an actor from getting a second job, or a job between acting gigs ?
You know like the rest of us do ?
This is where the lazyness comes into play.
Ryland said:Don't put words in my mouth that I didn't say.
Thats like saying that the guy who played McGyver shouldn't be in SG1 because he has the same voice.
If its common knowledge (like the sun is going to come up in the morning) than why doesn't everybody know about it.
No official law ends with "and more" because it wouldnt' hold up in court for its openendedness.
We don't fight tooth and nail for code that we wrote on company time since we were paid to write it.
Zorro said:You have no idea what you're talking about. Every actor has a story about some crap job they had do while in between gigs. I understand you may disagree about certain things, but creating misconceptions about how actors are won't make you right, just insane. Take a trip to Studio City and see just how many of the 200,000+ actors living in LA are working as waiters, repairmen, movers, bouncers, etc... I happen to work as a techie, and make good cash doing so. Most of the people I know work at video stores or restaurants. All of us work, all of us try to make auditions. Lazy my ass.
Operadragon said:2) The all-enveloping term "Gameplay," and the "Oooh...Shiny!" factor are way more important than story, character development, and above all else, voice acting.
Zorro said:And which words would those be?![]()
Actually, it's not. That's a seperate area of entertainment law and I believe the legal term for it is "character."![]()
Typo. Common Hollywood knowledge is what it should have said. Ah, well.
More opinion on your part. The law can be as vague as lawyers and judges allow it to be. Check out the ACLU website for information on that: http://www.aclu.org/Privacy/PrivacyMain.cfm
How old are you? The big hubbub during the early part of the software industry boom was the establishment of patent and copyrights for programming code. I'm guessing you're not older than 30 or you would know that copyrights was a BIG deal back in the day. The courts were tied up for years by programmers trying establish that code was intellectual property and thus subject to patent law. And, before you respond to this with more of your random gibberish, try picking up a book that discusses the finer points of computer law and tort. Everything I've said here can be verified.
kpedge said:Today i was listening to the radio and heard John Madden do a 30 second "Ace Hardware" commercial. He sounded practically exhausted by the end of his 30 second monologue! I was really worried about him and his health- it sounded like his toungue was swelling and he was about to faint.
Maybe these game voice actors have a point- talking is hard work.
bonkrowave said:...It is a chicken stuffed inside a duck, which is then stuffed into a turkey. Oh yeah, and three different stuffings/dressings stuffed into the mess.
kpedge said:That's...just...incredible.![]()
I was being sarcastic in my last post. Man, I just can't get over the tur-stuff.
...
Lucky for you that I don't fit in that catagory since I've actually made one of those 85 money making games and know a little more than just about everyone here in the forum on how a video game is made. Did you just skip over my posts on this issue? You've got some holes that I've already covered.Operadragon said:3) The vast majority of people who post here have no clue as to the way the process of casting, direction, and anything else to do with recording the voice-overs for (the correct term) "interactive media."
Piracy? You're the first to mention piracy in the context of voice overs and games....so it always amusing to hear people blather on about piracy taking money from the software developers.
That's funny. I posted earlier a lengthy quote from a SAG voice over actor who confronted her follow SAG members at E3 and said they were basically out of their mind. There's disention in the ranks.For an insider look as to who is *really* going to be affected, I'm giving you all this link. It's to a news post on a site called the SAG Watchdog.
Truth be known, no projects will suffer. The publishers are the ones holding all the cards. They'll just go with non-union talent, which is what they mostly do anyway and have been doing for over 20 years.My opinion on this matter is that if there's a strike, some projects will suffer, others will not. If there is a strike, I doubt it will affect my work, unless I get a huge break. If not, the little guys will be hurt most, not those familiar-named screen actors.
HA! Plueeeze. We would have to have a union first, which we don't. You really don't have any concept of how a game is made do you? If you did, you'd know that developers have little to no bargaining power.Don't think I don't understand the plight of game developers. Just allow yourselves to think outside the box for a moment. If a residual policy was put into effect for voice actors, it would stand to reason that the developers now have precedence to negotiate for their own residuals.
Huh? No it isn't. It's quite established. In fact, at our last IGDA meeting, we had a IP lawyer come and talk for over an hour about IP rights, laws and current cases. There's plenty of case law established. Again, you speak of what you know little of.On Intellectual Property:
This area of law is the most nebulous of any other simply because of the lack of the amount of case law, relatively speaking, of course. This part of the video game industry is literally changing weekly.
Connery is actually the exception to the rule. In general, when an actor merely popularizes a given character and the character is not synonymous with that actor, then the character is not part of the "persona" property of that actor. However, some courts have held that an actor can have a right of publicity claim in a characterization if the actor has become so "inextricably identified" with the character that the actor’s own identity is invoked by commercial use that identifies the character.On likeness rights:
Sean Connery played 007 for many years. In order to have a licenced game based on "From Russia With Love," his permission had to be secured to transfer his likeness from one medium (film) to another (game). This negotation is completely separate from his pay for voice over. That's just another clarification.
True, but again done through Privacy Rights. The limitation doesn't extend to satire though, as it's been done in the No One Lives Forever series.On using scabs in licensed games:
If SAG were to strike, and Sean Connery doesn't cross picket lines, he would *still* have to give his permission to the publisher to have someone mimic his voice. That's the truth.
Exactly, which is why I've always given more than enough facts to sway any opinion. Residuals for video games just ain't going to happen. Strike or no strike. There is no argument that exists in the world that makes a convincing case for it. That is just a cold hard truth.Just don't say "because" and expect that to win any respect from anyone.
You know, last I checked, I said the vast majority had no clue. Did you think I meant you specifically? You're one of the few people on this topic that I've bothered to read since your responses were morre intelligible than "I don't like you," or more vebose than, "F%#@ 'em."Lucky for you that I don't fit in that catagory since I've actually made one of those 85 money making games and know a little more than just about everyone here in the forum on how a video game is made. Did you just skip over my posts on this issue? You've got some holes that I've already covered.
I suppose I let that dangle a bit, so I'll dig just a little deeper. It's not such a stretch, because many of the responses to the possible voice actor strike have been that it would be getting something for nothing, or taking profit-sharing from where it "should" be going (to the developers).Piracy? You're the first to mention piracy in the context of voice overs and games.
I never said there wasn't dissention in the ranks...that's why I posted the URL to the news post about the letters that some of the SAG members got this week. With the letter, there are position papers that illustrate the pros and cons of striking. That was the reason I posted the link, to show that not everybody's happy with the idea, even amongst Guild members. Like I said, I always want to gather as much information as possible before making a decision on matters such as these.That's funny. I posted earlier a lengthy quote from a SAG voice over actor who confronted her follow SAG members at E3 and said they were basically out of their mind. There's [sic] disention in the ranks.
Okay, then you go on about hourly salary that SAG currently gets. Again, already covered. Nothing new to the argument. In fact, I don't see anyone disagreeing that SAG should charge more per hour. They want 30% more as offered by the publishers, then let 'em have it.
I put these quotes together for a reason...Maybe the projects won't suffer. You're right about the publishers, except what about movie tie-ins? Like if the strike happens soon, some summer blockbuster movie for next year will suffer, right? There's no way to use that A-List actor from the movie because of the strike towards video games, and any member of SAG (which it will be) will be pressured never allow the use of his (for lack of a better word) "voice likeness" through his Privacy Rights, so what is the only solution? The game will be made with non-union talent, and not mimicing the voice of the movie actor, right? I don't find a problem with that solution at all as it's more work for me, but what if the studio execs don't think outside the box? The studio guys might just be under the haze of star power=instant $ on games and pull the plug. Then, the strike may effect the industry...maybe.Truth be known, no projects will suffer. The publishers are the ones holding all the cards. They'll just go with non-union talent, which is what they mostly do anyway and have been doing for over 20 years.
True, but again done through Privacy Rights. The limitation doesn't extend to satire though, as it's been done in the No One Lives Forever series.
There's no reason to react that way. If there were a precedent for residuals, the developers *would* have leverage to bargain for profit-sharing in future publishing agreements. I agree that developers do not have any bargaining power NOW, but what if residuals then become implemented? Precedence is a very strong tool. I really don't think that you can pull out the Magic 8 Ball on this issue. We'll never know how strong a bargaining chip it really is unless SAG is successful in getting residuals for voice actors. Have you ever thought that this may be the only reason the publishers rejecting that facet of the negotiations, even to the point of giving that 30% increase in scale all of a sudden after no progress in 4 months? Maybe the publishers are simply the ones who are really greedy here, and the true thing they fear is that if one agreement happens, then another happens, and another. It's not so far-fetched, is it?HA! Plueeeze. We would have to have a union first, which we don't. You really don't have any concept of how a game is made do you? If you did, you'd know that developers have little to no bargaining power.
Maybe it's quite established in your state, but not in mine. My statement is straight from my best friend, who *is* an IP attorney. I suppose it's my fault for painting with such broad strokes. Again, don't attempt to place more distance between your level of knowledge and mine by making another statement like you do.Huh? No it isn't. It's quite established. In fact, at our last IGDA meeting, we had a IP lawyer come and talk for over an hour about IP rights, laws and current cases. There's plenty of case law established. Again, you speak of what you know little of.
So the "game developers" pursue voice actors? I haven't seen any job postings for "Voice-Over Casting Director" on any developers' websites lately...perhaps those jobs are internal hires...For the most part game developers go out of their way to get the actual actors to do the voices for their characters, but when they aren't available, they go ahead and get a replacement.
Exactly, which is why I've always given more than enough facts to sway any opinion. Residuals for video games just ain't going to happen. Strike or no strike. There is no argument that exists in the world that makes a convincing case for it. That is just a cold hard truth.
This is the only thing I won't respond to in kind. What thread of logic are you using to say you know more about something that I? Is it not enough that you've beat that dead horse of "how a game is made?"On a side note, what does it say when a video game developer knows more about copyright, voice-overs and this entire issue than a person that does voice overs? Is this indictative of what all voice actors really think? Good grief, y'all need to get seriously educated on this issue. Sorry, if I'm a bit [sic] condensending on this, but the voice actors need to fight some real battles.